Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked anything tasty lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

500ml water, mixed in 1 tsp dry yeast. Add 540g of bread flour and 1 tsp salt. Mix until theres no dry flour. Clingfilm for 4-5 hours.

Turn out onto a floured surface and bring together into a rough loaf - its a very wet dough. Cover again for 20 mins or so.

Preheat a dutch oven in the oven for 20 mins at 230c. Put dough onto baking paper, gently put it into the dutch oven. Bake at 230c for 30 mins with the lid on and then for another 20 or 25 mins with the lid off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 495 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

a mix of chocolate and walnut and white chocolate and marshmallow cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

@TheKBizzle They look mighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Unreal @TheKBizzle 🤤

Fresh loaf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The latest batch of Brioche. One has gone missing. Can't imagine what happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

some choux pastry with fresh cream

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh yum. Breakfast would be wonderful like that..

meringues with strawberry puree and cream

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I made these peanut butter squares at the weekend, yum! We were having a family bake off. I was under some time pressure, so no actual bake involved on my part but the peanut butter squares won! I'm not sure everyone realised they weren't actually bakes but I am saying nothing, they were all eaten and enjoyed 😂 I'll definitely be making these again, thanks for posting the recipe @RacoonQueen !

• Advertisement

Coffee & Walnut Cake

Garlic / Parmesan focaccia

jalapeño dill & cheddar focaccia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

sandwich or not?

i like my cakes like a sandwich

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

2 Sosig Rolls……..😀

My Venezuelan housemate moved out but gave me loads of p.a.n flour. So I made these dulce de leche chocolate brownies that are also gluten free

Apple pastry slices and chocolate chip cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

They look delicious do you stew the apples before baking also do you blind bake the pastry, great cutting in it, goes way further than apple tart😊

Thank you, yes blind bake pastry, and cooking apples stewed and cooled. all in one 3 egg sponge mix on top, in swiss roll tin. 😁

Coffee Cake…….but don’t drop the top sponge on the floor ffs! 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've made a few of these and one problem is that they are so wet and loose that they don't hold any shape of a loaf and just flatten out after you scrape it out of the bowl. I end up putting them into a 2lb tin as a result, as they won't form a round/ball shape.

How do you get over this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah first one I did was like that. Was a mess going into the dutch oven but turned out ok. 2nd time i just used a little more flour on the surface.

Apple Frangipane Tart with a bit of leftover Christmas mince meat and a sprinkle of Almonds. Kettle on, cream whipped 😀

Post edited by Planet X on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭phormium

That looks extremely good!

Glut of apples both cooking and eating. Gotta be used up. Basically….free food.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Have to say apple and mince sounds like an inspired combination, I'll skip the almonds and perhaps make a puff pastry with some creme anglais

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

How did you find the eating apples worked in this?

We also have a glut of apples (eating and cooking) and we found that the eating apples just didn't work in apple tarts or crumbles. The texture was mushy and made it too sweet.

Our eating apples, miniature tree, worked out exceptionally well. I commented when my wife made an “all in one” apple cake (M Berry) that the apple (our apples) content had a lot of firmness and body even though cooked well. She cooks this cake a lot so I noticed the difference immediately. Shop bought apples were vastly different. I suppose it’s the variety of apple that your tree is?

As it is atm, we’re eating our way through the crop, very firm and juicy apple. Magpies and pigeons are also having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Nothing fancy, but very satisfying. Some no knead bread that I've started making in batches for throughout the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Posh Boy

Try this video - I follow it and it's really easy and they come out perfect every time. Trick is to barely work the dough, overworking toughens them and you lose the light and fluffy texture. Also, don't twist the cutter as you put it in, just do what it shows in the video and you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Posh Boy

I'd really love to know how you got the fudge looking so good. I've tried it myself but it never set properly - I used a sugar thermometer to ensure I got the right temperature and stirred regularly. Can't figure out where I went wrong. Did I heat it too quickly? or too slowly?

Any pointers on what the best technique is would be greatly appreciated (oh, and the recipe you use too please)

Advertisement