Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Rankings by Slope Rating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Where did you get those do you mind my asking? Not sure it's all that accurate since Portmarnock Golf Club isn't in the top 10 despite it being rated at 142 off blue and even higher off some of the mixed tees.

https://ncrdb.usga.org/

It's just a sample. I didn't include every course in the country but I have about 140.

There is no definitive list that ranks all the courses in the country so I did what the OP did and started putting one together
    If there are more like Portmarnock Golf Club I can add just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Interesting how 9 of the top 10 highest sloped courses are parkland courses, I think Ceann Seibheal is links?

Ya it is links.

Lee Valley is the one that baffles me a bit. Greens are slick and it pays to be below the hole but...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It’s much more realistic to rank by course rating rather than slope. Slope is just about length off tee really, rating is that and other elements of the course. Eg The island is slope 132 off the blues, which sounds easy enough compared to the above course. When most people will know that it is not. Course rating of 75 for par 72 gives you a better idea, although still probably underestimates its difficulty compared to Palmerston house or head fort new for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

cjfitz wrote: »
    Ya it is links.

Lee Valley is the one that baffles me a bit. Greens are slick and it pays to be below the hole but...

It’s very long off the back tees which is what the slope given there is for

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

slingerz wrote: »
    It’s very long off the back tees which is what the slope given there is for

That’s fair enough. Have played the blues in an open day this year and didn’t find it too long and I’m not a big hitter but obviously there must be a tee beyond that. It’s a nice track.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    It’s much more realistic to rank by course rating rather than slope. Slope is just about length off tee really, rating is that and other elements of the course. Eg The island is slope 132 off the blues, which sounds easy enough compared to the above course. When most people will know that it is not. Course rating of 75 for par 72 gives you a better idea, although still probably underestimates its difficulty compared to Palmerston house or head fort new for example.

You asked to rank by course rating, well here you go...

gPhpouO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Close.
    It really should be ranked by difference between course ranking and par.
    Eg. Heritage course ranking is 76.7 but par is 74. So plays 2.7 shots harder than par.
    Palmerston ranking is 76.4 but par is only 72 so plays 4.4 shots harder than par.
    I think I’d stick in a made up column called difficulty and rank by that. Of course you don’t need to as you can just stick in a formula to run behind but it would be good to see at a glance, especially when you get to the - ones in red at the end

Seve OB wrote: »
    Close.
    It really should be ranked by difference between course ranking and par.
    Eg. Heritage course ranking is 76.7 but par is 74. So plays 2.7 shots harder than par.
    Palmerston ranking is 76.4 but par is only 72 so plays 4.4 shots harder than par.
    I think I’d stick in a made up column called difficulty and rank by that. Of course you don’t need to as you can just stick in a formula to run behind but it would be good to see at a glance, especially when you get to the - ones in red at the end

Like this?

ta6FXHv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

eoghan104 wrote:
    Higher than I expected, I suppose this means my handicap will be lower for most other courses?

I would think that Castleknock would be higher as its long tough course.

TCM wrote: »
    I would think that Castleknock would be higher as its long tough course.

i find its long and forgiving so usually have my better rounds there

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Seve OB wrote: »
    i find its long and forgiving so usually have my better rounds there

What tees are you off, always found castleknock shortish and quite a fair driving course, but never played off the backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

manster wrote: »
    ta6FXHv.jpg

That's good. An unofficial ranking of our most "difficult" courses.

I say unofficial though, because while tough, Portmarnock and Luttrelstown probably shouldn't top the list. But the european is there high up there. We're probably missing a load of courses still, I'd expect to see carne way up that list too.

As an aside, Moyvalley sticks in my head as a very easy course from a past boards outing, forgiving off the tee and the type of rough where balls can be found and not our 11th most difficult course in the country? Though we may have been playing off yellow tees.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RoadRunner wrote: »
    That's good. An unofficial ranking of our most "difficult" courses.

I say unofficial though, because while tough, Portmarnock and Luttrelstown probably shouldn't top the list. But the european is there high up there. We're probably missing a load of courses still, I'd expect to see carne way up that list too.

As an aside, Moyvalley sticks in my head as a very easy course from a past boards outing, forgiving off the tee and the type of rough where balls can be found and not our 11th most difficult course in the country? Though we may have been playing off yellow tees.

Carne was included afaik as it's on the list a few pages back, par 72, 124 and 72.4.

They mustn't have made the trip to Belmullet!

Some of the ratings are miles off what I would have assumed from playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Guys , just bumping an old thread - unreal piece of work by Manster

I'm just doing a bit of research on this myself at the moment.

This is trying to solve a question with maths - the way these questions should be answered , but the issue we probably have is the data for the likes of course rating could be wrong or dated - I know a course reviews is done every x number of years. But course change , rough changes - I do think that courses have been made way easier over the years - with cut , cut back.

Anyway - any body any comments on the toughest courses in Ireland - also considering the various changes has anyone any comments on the following course in particular

Druids Heath - it used to be one of the hardest courses in Ireland - how have the changes worked, is it much easier ?

Macreddin - when I played it (about 10 years ago) - found it unbelievably hard - how is it these days

The Island - doesn't really feature in above - do people not think it is hard - or the maths doesn't add up for it ]

And what are your top 3 toughest courses you have played in North and South.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

European club and portstewart are the 2 hardest I have played especially in the wind

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Didn't find Macreddin that bad, still think Lahinch is the toughest, especially on a windier days and all those collecting bunkers. Lough Erne is tough as well, monster fast greens where 3putts are aplenty and even the odd 4putt

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

+1 on European Club. Off the tips. In wind. Torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I love Portstewart and it is hard ..but actually isn't as hard as some of the ones we are mentioning..yes front 9 is..but there is a fairness to it and the back 9 is on easier side ..in the pure context of the really tough courses ..(imo)

I’ve played Portstewart twice. Neither time did I come off with a good score but I put that down to playing badly. Agree it is difficult but would also agree with Fix that it’s not in the same difficulty league as let’s say European or Enniscrone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

It’s mad how we perceive things. I wouldn’t have said enniscrone is tough at all but I know that is because the day I played I had one of my best rounds ever and shot -2 for the back 9. (10hcap and first time even close to par for 9 holes)

Where as when I played Portstewart it was in gale. I hit a driver to the first Par 3 and didn’t reach it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

It's an impossible question to answer because the question means different things to different people. Firstly, what's a good score to you? I find some courses that are regarded as difficult can be very difficult to get a lot of pars on, but not too bad in terms of keeping the doubles or worse off the card. In particular, big greens and run off areas can make pars difficult. But they make for huge targets to aim for to get near a green in regulation. So to one golfer being in a run off area means a tough up and down for par. To another it's a chance of an up and down for par and a fairly safe bogey.

Then even thinking of two people with similar handicaps, they might play the game very differently. Some people are dead straight but short. They'll find wide fairways and long holes a struggle compared to the guy who's long and wild. Some run the ball all day while others send it in high and land it soft. They latter guy will end up in far more bunkers. It's an interesting question, but a different one to different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭shakedown

Here's the data from 1100+ courses in RoI if anyone fancies doing some data analytics.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

My club have added a new set of tees that will come into play this summer. A slope & course rating was required for the new tees and they re-rated all of the tees while they were there.

Interestingly, the new tees is a shorter course than the back tees but it was given a higher slope rating. I didn't think that would be possible.

Back tees: Slope rating 131, Course rating 73

New tees: Slope rating 132, Course rating 71.7

They also did something that I haven't seen anywhere else but I think it should be done on every course. i.e. They rated the ladies tees for the men. I doubt that it will ever be used in a competition but gives an extra option for beginners and older members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I’ve seen red tees rated for men in a lot of places. Seems to a norm now for any new re-rating.

I wonder if the new tees are bringing more hazards into play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭paulos53

There are a couple of holes with bunkers 230 yards from the back tee and 20 yards closer from the new tee. That must be enough to make a difference in the slope rating calculations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I think you should move to the red tees after 70/75. You just can't play regulation golf anymore. I think I'd prefer to mostly reach in two and make pars and birdies rather than have more shots but trying to make bogey all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Our place gets close to that with our medals.

They do an alternative seniors medal, off the yellows, so goes from around 6800 down to 6100

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

golf ireland are currently re rating all courses. they have done all ladies and mens tees except back tees so that may be why ratings seem a little odd.

my club is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Re-rating all courses? Can’t think there would have been too many changes in many courses.

perhaps they will use the data from score returns to inform their ratings as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Headfort New went from 133/73.6 to 132/73.5 last year.

Advertisement