Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Course Rankings by Slope Rating

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Makes sense with clubs adopting the One Club model to move from Ladies and Gents clubs to rate all tee boxes for all players

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I agree to an extent.

i don’t agree that tee boxes need to be rated differently for ladies and men.

it should make no difference if a man is playing the same course but gets less shots than a lady with the same handicap index because they have been rated differently.

rate them both the same and then you can have fair mixed competition of whatever colour tees you like. Until that happens, they will always be ladies tees as opposed to red tees

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

We had a pair make it to Bruen final two years ago. Grandfather and grandson . He's 80 years of age now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tees are coloured for handicap, Ireland and UK call the forward ones Ladies Tees for no reason, in the US a snr would play off the reds without hesitation but not here as they are "Ladies Tees"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Give it another generation, they'll just be red tees. All for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

What do you mean they are called the ladies tees for no reason. They are called the ladies tees because the ladies and only the ladies have played off them for as long as I care to remember 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

People wouldn't accept them rated the same for men and ladies.

Say you use the ladies criteria to rate everything; and it's an average difficulty course for ladies from their tees. So an 18 handicap index gets 18 shots. By the time you get back to the blue tees, god knows how many shots an 18 handicapper would get - you could have someone with an index of 18 getting 30 shots for the monthly medal. Single digits would mean you're in the top 70% of golfers or something. The reverse would be true if you rated them all using the mens ratings and worked out the womens handicaps that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I hope this is what's happening. If you've two courses with the same ratings, you'd expect the scores on them to be the same (within reason). You could surely map out expected scores based on the course ratings and handicaps of those playing them and identify outliers. After 3 years or whatever it is at this stage of WHS, you probably have enough data to do it. I would be surprised if there's not a few courses that are way out of line of what's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They might not identify as tees in another generation!

It's going back a few years but I often seen the lowest HC golfer in our club playing off the red tees when practicing, he used to do it to get used to the mindset of making birdies / playing and closing out rounds under par. It didn’t do him any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If I'm out playing with my kid I play off the juvenile yellow tees with her.

It's great driving onto a par 4 green or a 9 iron second shot into a par 5.

Bit like buying a 150 ml can of coke and pretending to be a giant😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I heard Dechambo say this in a interview saying its a good way to practise. I played a couple of 9 hole in the evenings last summer with my mate off the ladies tees have to say it was great fun! A couple of par 4's just short of the green etc!

Advertisement