Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭Shoog

Respecting a persons gender identity is a problem for you. Its very little different to respecting a single women's desire to be called Miss or Ms - I am sure you extend that curtsy if asked.

And the point I was making was that no one should be expected to conform to what you expect them to be in society and if that means respecting what they declare about their gender then so be it. The real issue is - what harm is it doing to you to show that basic level of respect and curtsy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

"no one should be expected to conform to what you expect them to be"

Yet we are expected to conform to accept implicitly other people's beliefs or ideologies, otherwise we are terfs/transphobes/bigots/nazis.

Interesting.

Yes you are if you can't extend common decency to another individual. You want everyone to conform to your narrow definition of gender, thats bigotry in my book.

No, I don't.

Trans people as far as I'm concerned can and should live their lives to the fullest and be as happy as they can possibly be.

Just because I have an issue with giving life changing drugs to children or having adult men that now identify as women compete in sports against natural women does not make me a bigot.

You can keep telling yourself that, that's literally all you guys have as a retort, because simply put, your arguments to the contrary does not stand up to any kind of scrutiny, ethically or logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Whereas your arguments, both ethically and logically, amount to arguing that girls should grow up to become women athletes with full breasts being chased by men in dresses who were boys who the women can’t outrun because they’re just slower, or they’re stuck in a bathroom cubicle with no means of escape, and no men in sports because it’s not like their coach has molested them already long before they’ve reached adulthood.

It’s true in that sense that you’re not a bigot at least, and I don’t think you do have anything against people who are transgender. You just like to keep things as they are, pretend reality isn’t a thing, and if everyone else would just do as they’re supposed to, you won’t have any issues.

• Advertisement

You are telling me that I'm pretending reality isn't a thing?

Really?

Millions of years of evolution be damned, the makey uppy social constructs that have come to the fore in the last decade is how things actually are!

Good lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Do you understand the difference between making changes based on an official report into problems or complaints (like the Cass report) while still using the best medical evidence available, and basing medical treatment on what activists want instead of on best medical evidence?

Dear God no, I’d never tell you any such thing, I’d just humour you and allow you to think I agree with you at least. If however you tried to tell me I was in the wrong bathroom, I’m likely to be less civil 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Sure this poster claims that if women just try harder they'll beat the men at sports. There's no physical difference apparently and no reason why they can't. But that's reality now and you are Hitler if you don't accept it.

That's a good example: I'm perfectly happy to call someone Ms or Mrs if they wish - but that isn't what's happening here. First, the equivalent "opposition" would not be to Ms or Mrs, but between Miss and Mrs, IOW someone pretending to be married when in fact they were single, or vice versa.

That being so, the crux of the question is whether financial or other advantages accrue depending on marital status.

Mostly in our society they don't, so again, the legal fiction of calling someone Miss when she is married (or Mrs, if single) really is just a matter of being polite to someone, so why not. What is not reasonable is demanding that I believe that the person has that status just because they say so, when I have other reasons to know that isn't true. And trying to have "telling the truth" deemed a hate crime. Rude, if you wish, but a hate crime? FFS.

Finally, the reality is that going along with this legal fiction of male/female leads to two real problems, neither of which occur with calling someone Miss instead of Mrs. One is related to the OP, the other is about unfair advantages to the person who insists on their fiction being accepted as reality: this is really only the case for biological males wanting to pass as women, and not nearly so much for biological females wanting to pass as men. But we all know what the issues are with that.

The fact that you claim to think it's like calling someone Ms instead of Mrs is mind blowing. It's nothing like that. As anyone who has followed almost anything on this subject must surely know. The child who was abducted by "Amy George" (Andrew Miller) would not have got into the car if Miller had presented as a man. You may think that child's wellbeing is so unimportant that those of us who disagree must be only pretending to care about it so as to hide our "hatred", but that's on you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No, I'm afraid you're mistaken.

My issue is not with the individual transgender person - they (largely) wish to get on with their lives. several vocal and misogynistic examples aside.

My issue is with the wider gender ideology that has taken root in national institutions - lesbians who have suffered centuries of abuse and violence are now told they cannot have a meeting unless they include biologically intact males; children who do not conform to old fashioned stereotypes are pushed into "transitioning"; erasing of women specific spaces, sports, language, women only bursaries in STEM, created to help address inequalty in opportunity going to males - and the recent International Women's Day which in so many cases prioritisd the feelings of biological males over females.

The so called National "Womens" Council of Ireland in thrall to TENI and others actively protesting a feminist meeting. Think about it - a group set up to support women, siding with biological males who wish to keep women quiet.

We got so close to true equality of the sexes and full gay rights and then the other side found a way to cheat the system.

My question to you, poster - why do you want to slavishly adhere to 1950s level sex based stereotypes ? It isn't healthy at all and is criminal when children are being medicated with off label drugs.

That’s not what he says at all. He would say the same to a man who was just beaten by a woman, because in reality, there are all sorts of factors in sports, just like in any other domain, which will influence or affect outcomes, not just who can outrun who. I don’t expect for example a guy who has no experience of project management to be able to manage a project with the same degree of expertise as a woman who has professional qualifications and decades of experience across a broad range of disciplines and industries. That’d just be silly, yet that’s what you expect people should believe, just because I’m a man.

Same goes for medicine, science - we’re a long ways past scraping around in the dirt and scratching our holes, scavenging for food and dying in great numbers due to disease and lack of sanitation. Evolution is great in theory, but nobody has to pretend that we’re still beholden to it. That’s the very basis of civilisation and progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭jackboy

Not sure what mens vast advantages in the majority of sports has to do with those other things but I think your point comes from a very western privileged position.

Your quality of life totally depends on people scratching around in the dirt, as you say. Everything you own and do is made possible by poor people scratching out a miserable existence. Key to that are some appalling physical jobs, almost all completed by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Training and experience and aptitude for a job do not equate with increased lung capacity, muscle strength etc.

Your last comment reveals everything about your motivation and narrative. Straight from the copy book transphobic myths.

Frankly none of the issues your bleed your heart over will have the slightest impact on yours or my life. It's all performative and reverse virtue signally. You deserve an oscar.

I know what you’re saying, but I don’t agree with the way you’ve chosen to frame it - the Cass interim report was primarily focused on the failures of management at the Tavistock GIDS clinic, there was no records being kept and no follow-up with patients. The level of care being provided by ordinary clinical staff was praised in the report. Much of the failures of the clinic were down to poor decisions by the Trustees and management of the clinic.

That’s why there was no data to review and make decisions about treatment - because there was none recorded. That’s obviously not safe for the public, or the 7,000 children who were on the waiting list, or the 13,000 adults who were on the waiting list for the adult clinic, very few of whom I’d suggest were activists of any description.

The best medical evidence that is available is only available in other countries, and it’s of poor quality for the same reasons as the evidence presented by the Tavistock. That’s why activists are calling for better treatment and better healthcare. They’ve experienced the poor outcomes, so it would be ridiculous of any clinician or research scientist to suggest that they shouldn’t be listened to, that those clinicians and researchers know what’s best for them because they’ve had few complaints about their work and they can relate to anecdotal evidence from when they started in medicine in ‘94 and their first patient was a flamboyant man in his 40s. They’re not basing their opinions on evidence based medicine and best practice either, they’re basing their opinions on their own perception of the outcomes which they believe are best for the patient.

That’s why the HSE and the NHS are choosing the more holistic approach, because the practice of medicine has changed in the last 30 years, and clinicians are forced to listen to their patients now as opposed to telling their patients what’s best for them. They have to consider factors like informed consent, quality of life and of course what’s feasible within the limits of the public healthcare system, as opposed to making promises to their patients and then trying to tell the patients they need to take some responsibility.

That sort of reasoning is the same reasoning George Hook used to justify his claims. It wasn’t acceptable coming from him, and it shouldn’t be acceptable coming from anyone who imagines themselves as a medical professional, any more than they aren’t acceptable from anyone who imagines themselves as a professional sports and social commentator:

Mr Hook's comments on his show on Friday of last week were made while he discussed the case of a woman (19), who alleges she was raped by a former member of the British swim team.

"Is there no blame to the person who puts themselves in danger?" he asked.

https://m.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/george-hook-suspended-by-newstalk-over-controversial-rape-case-comments/36134624.html

I wouldn’t dismiss anyone as merely “an activist”, who objected to that crap.

See this is why I put you on ignore years ago, and I think you're going to go back on it soon: a load of irrelevant sh1te instead of responding to the actual point. I still laugh at the claim you made previously, that women only got the idea of breastfeeding after giving babies the white liquid that comes from crushed plants.

WTF has George Hook got to do with my point? Because you saying "it's the same" doesn't actually make it the same. The Cass report is not the equivalent of activists like TENI dictating to the HSE over the professional advice of genuine medical experts. Especially when they've been coaching kids in how to reply so as to "give" the right answers to doctors. They're not trustworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

I think he's too smart to directly say something as bare-faced as that. Really he's saying "You [we] just like to keep things as they are". We are against progress and progress is always good, right?

If we're still in the mood for analogies, I see it more like a kind of legal land grab under the guise of progress, where the people being dispossessed have for the most part been convinced to give up title to their land, on the promise that 'hardly anyone is coming and sure nobody is likely to actually come and take your land' and while they're saying this, they are also holding a big stick.

When Europeans colonised the New World, they didn't bother too much with niceties. I remember hearing about the actor John Wayne being interviewed about it. Initially and ludicrously, he argued that the natives were "selfish" wanting to hold onto the land. Eventually, in a moment of honesty he admitted "they had the land, and we wanted it". You can only afford to say that long after everyone is used to the idea, and there really is no going back. All the relentless bullshit, going round in circles, and not conceding an inch, is designed to just get people used to the idea.

The drama. A land grab of our women and children.

Hysterical women running down the street in terror, dramatic music plays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's funny how you're so quick to label someone a transphobe or that they're secretly a bigot when you're such an open misogynist.

• Advertisement

Because they are using transphobic tropes copy and pasted from transphobic sources. I call it as it is.

Misogynist because I object to women expressing transphobic tropes. Your funny.

volchista I’m honoured that you’ve chosen to temporarily remove me from your ignore list, and while I understand it must have been one of the most difficult decisions you’ve ever had to make in your life, I’m incredibly grateful as I don’t know how I could have managed without your constant guidance, probably not on nut milk anyway as that’s how early humans died out, and those who drank water didn’t fare much better given the conditions of that particular supply. It was in response to your claim that newborn infants instinctively seek out their mothers breasts for nourishment. There are so many issues with that claim I wasn’t sure where to start. But I’m happy to have been able to do what I had previously thought was impossible at least once in my life and make you laugh. You have no idea what that means to me 😁

It was quite obvious what George Hook had to do with your point - it’s easy to dismiss anyone who questions or challenges or disagrees with a particular opinion as merely “an activist”, in an attempt to suggest they shouldn’t be listened to or they have nothing of any value to offer or any knowledge which would inform policy regarding the treatment of children with gender dysphoria or incongruence. What could they possibly know or understand about the condition? There’s no evidence and no research on which to base any new approach so we’ll just be sticking with the approach that hasn’t worked for them, but works for us, and if anyone gets a bit uppity and starts asking questions, they can be dismissed as an activist or smeared with an accusation that’ll humiliate them into silence.

Because medical professionals with a national platform in the media, and journalists and sports commentators with a national platform with shìtty attitudes towards women, they’re the REAL victims, they’re being cancelled, and it’s they who deserve empathy and compassion and to be listened to, not those nasty trans activist perverts who just want to multilate children, assault women in bathrooms and prisons and take all the podium spots in women’s sports, and they have all the power to take over society with their nasty ideology.

That’s the sort of victimhood complex that leads to this sort of outcome -

Ipsos’ annual International Women’s Day finds 60% of Gen Z men across 31 countries think women’s equality discriminates against men.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-uk/international-womens-day-survey-2024

Stick me back on ignore if it helps 👍

It was in response to your claim that newborn infants instinctively seek out their mothers breasts for nourishment. There are so many issues with that claim I wasn’t sure where to start.

How many times have you given birth and/or breast fed?

Breast crawl refers to the natural crawling toward the mother's breast; in this process of skin-to-skin contact between mother and infant without external interference, the neonate locates the nipple and self-attaches for the first feeding until the first breastfeeding

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10285413/#:~:text=Breast%20crawl%20refers%20to%20the,the%20first%20breastfeeding%20(5).

Although that's not how I remember the discussion, and in any case, how would the claim that people gave their babies crushed plant extracts because nobody knew that was possible at the time - which is how the discussion began as I recall it?

(Because your argument was that beasts did NOT have as a primary function the feeding of babies, but were developed primarily for the sexual pleasure of men.)

Here's what you wrote when someone else queried your astonishing claim that babies ate plant-milk before breastfeeding was invented:

One eyed Jack wrote: »

They’d eat what they were given, or die. What they were given would likely have consisted of mainly plant based nutrition, including milk from plants like I suggested earlier, long before breastfeeding was a thing

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/110555326#Comment_110555326

Thanks for explaining your completely nonsensical attempt to create a false equivalence with George Hook. The fact that he was talking nonsense does not mean that Professor Donal O'Shea or Dr Paul Moran are in any way comparable to Hook.

Stick me back on ignore

Will do. Not that I need "help", but it's just such utter nonsense. And very often with an unpleasantly misogynistic undertone to them. So it's one less minor irritant in my day. 😁

I think he's too smart to directly say something as bare-faced as that.

You give me far too much credit plodder 😂

But let’s bring your analogy into a more modern context, because if you want to argue historical arguments about land grabs and the beginnings of the human race, it’s not an argument I’d be making if I were to be arguing against civilised society and the evolution of democracy. I’m certainly not by any means proposing anything progressive - rather the opposite, arguing from first principles is distinctly conservative.

It’s been pretty much the basis of your argument that those in authority know what’s best for everyone else, and they’re not likely to cede any ground whatsoever, and why would they? It suits them. When you pointed out that there was no other area in medicine where activists had any input or influence, I was quickly able to provide an example, and a far more common one, that demonstrated you were mistaken.

And it’s because of those people you want to simply dismiss as activists that maternity healthcare has improved significantly in the last number of years. What wasn’t done was closing down maternity hospitals and clinics which didn’t come up to standard. They still won’t, in spite of the fact that in the US and the UK for example, the outcomes for black mothers compared to white mothers, are not good. Without those damned activists, circumstances would remain as they are, only for the fact that it wasn’t the discrepancy was pointed out by black mothers themselves, and it’s not only black mothers who are pointing out the discrepancy.

It would suit your purposes of course if it was only men who were advocating for better treatment and being treated fairly, but that’s not the case and it’s never going to be the case, as it shouldn’t need to be stated but given the progress that’s been made where anyone seeking treatment for gender dysphoria no longer has to undergo mandatory sterilisation, they can have children now, and the parents who are seeking help for their children - those parents aren’t either transgender themselves or activists either - their only interest is in doing what they believe is best for their own children.

Thanks for explaining your completely nonsensical attempt to create a false equivalence with George Hook. The fact that he was talking nonsense does not mean that Professor Donal O'Shea or Dr Paul Moran are in any way comparable to Hook.

Exactly. Comparisons like that - as if they are all claiming to be victims, or are merely engaging in "office politics" - are a subtle form of mud slinging.

No you didn't provide an example that was equivalent to this. I'm looking for an example where hard edged clinical decisions are being influenced by activists, ie decisions on medication and surgical procedures, ie where patients get to decide to use medications against the advice of doctors. Trans healthcare is unique to the extent that people think it's okay to self-medicate, (illegally) obtaining drugs through the post etc. You haven't actually gone as far as advocating all of that. But, this is the reality of activist driven healthcare.

It goes without saying that improvements across all medical areas have resulted from consultation with service users, including maternity care. But, there is a world of difference there.

There's no doubt that activism has achieved an enormous amount in healthcare. But, the disputes that occur are nearly always over allocation of resources (spending money), not over the efficacy of specific treatments.

"... those in authority know what’s best for everyone else"

That's not my position at all. I'm saying we have to be driven by unbiased evidence and it's clear that policy has been set by poor quality evidence up to now. When the people like Dr's O'Shea and Moran, are the ones who have been proven right about that, we should listen to them.

How many times have you given birth and/or breast fed?

Never. And if you’re attempting to suggest that the only means by which anyone would have any knowledge of either, is by suggesting that they have to have done either or both of those things, you’re taking a significant departure from reality in a number of ways.

I am at least familiar with the concept of what you’re referring to, but if you’re being honest, the modern delivery suite is a far cry from our evolutionary ancestors experiences! 🤨

The fact that he was talking nonsense is exactly the reason it’s comparable to Dr. O’ Shea and Co. talking nonsense claiming that they’re not being listened to by the HSE which has been infiltrated by activists.

That’s just paranoid nonsense.

LOL George Hook's on-air warbling for his listeners is a fair comparison with the considered opinions of medical experts, but "babies naturally seek out the breast" is untrue (so much wrong with it that you didn't know where to start, you said!) because women no longer give birth in a cave?

This is the only reason I took you back off ignore - you are good entertainment, I'll give you that.

I just prefer it when I don't have to actually bother replying to your witterings.

Tough choice.

You haven't actually gone as far as advocating all of that.

I’m glad you noticed 😁

But what you’re suggesting, isn’t what’s happening here either. You are indeed looking for an example of something which doesn’t happen anywhere. Trans healthcare is by no means unique either in terms of people thinking it’s ok to self-medicate (illegally) obtaining drugs through the post, etc - obtaining medication to procure an abortion for example, but that’s a rabbit hole I think is best avoided in this particular thread.

The more common example in terms of attempts to administer relief or address their issues are the use of binders by teenage girls, which cause damage to their bodies which is actually irreversible, and incredibly dangerous. They’re taking an enormous risk, offset by the idea that it is the easiest way to deal with the more urgent issue from their perspective. You only have to spend two minutes on crowdfunding sites like gofundme to get some idea of the extent of the issue with young people raising funds for treatment. It beats becoming involved in prostitution, but it should go without saying that neither is acceptable.

Neither Dr. O’ Shea or Moran have been proven right about anything, nor are they unbiased, they clearly have a vested interest in the outcome of any decisions made by the HSE. They want the HSE, Government and the legal profession to listen only to them, and want to exclude people they deem to be activists from that conversation. Donnelly has pretty much excluded himself already as he hasn’t a clue what’s going on in his own department, so it’s a good thing for the public that the HSE isn’t solely relying on his opinions either in terms of funding, resources or indeed the efficacy of any particular treatment. It’s why the HSE is more interested in a holistic approach than relying on either the medical model, or the social model of healthcare, but rather a combination of both.

• Advertisement

It's not just chest binders. Remember GenderGP, and a government minister's brush with them (hastily covered up)?

We've literally no idea how many kids are getting medication (illegally) through them. Though the minister seemed to think there was around 900.

While the HSE hardly endorses that, I think the bad relationship they have with the NGS tacitly encourages it.

Advertisement