Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Can you post a link to the one you got ? Sounds like a useful bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Does the flap issue happen a lot, and if I am buying a used i5, does the issue come on the info screens, or is something you check for manually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

This is the one I got, Amazon says it unavailable at the moment but there are loads of different brands, it just clips onto the battery.

Auto Battery Monitor BM2 Car Battery Tester Battery Load Tester Bluetooth 4.0 12V Device Car Battery Tester Auto Cranking Charging System Test Scan Tool Digital Battery Alternator Analyzer (1pcs) https://amzn.eu/d/6jbdlrv

It's shows up as an error on the screen but it doesn't stop you from driving the car.

I had mine changed last week under warranty, they only had the car for a couple of hours.

So if it does go wrong it's an easy fix once they have the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

12v just gone again.

3rd time in 4 days now - it got driven an hour round trip yesterday too, all it’s done today is a quick trip to the shops and back.

definitely something wrong.

hoping to get it in tomorrow, get the air flap fixed and the 12v looked at.

had more issues with this brand new car than I ever did with our ‘08 Ford Focus 🤣

• Advertisement

If it has had a deep discharge then it's not going to recover after a few short trips.

It needs to be connected to a trickle charger for at least a few days to bring it back up to a healthy voltage, driving the car isn't enough.

Just got a call from the service centre.

The Airflap has now been replaced and is working.

Apparently the 12v needs replacing from the tests they've done and it's not covered under warranty after 2 years.

Hopefully that fixes everything but we'll see...

Must admit this is the first time in just over 2 years I've started to feel like "we aren't getting an EV next time". Although I guess with any new car these days there's so much electrical stuff in the car anything could go wrong.

It's just the screen issue we had, now the air flap, and now a 12v gone after 2 years 2 months.

New cars are fun eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭John arse

I'd question the 2 year 12v battery warranty (maybe you have already) but it seems like a very coincidental time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I know it's easier said than done to say "I'd be complaining til they waived the fee", but I would not be happy with them for charging for replacing a battery in this scenario. Was it much?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,201 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's a common enough warranty period for car batteries.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately it seems to be correct - https://www.hyundai.ie/assets/Limited%20Parts%20Warranty.pdf

It's annoying because perhaps the Airflap issue is what caused it to drain and potentially damage it? We'll never know.

I agree, but not sure I have the energy to fight it to be honest.

He said he waived any labour and tried to put it through as cheap as possible - 153 euro.

Still very frustrating considering it's only 2 months out of warranty. The airflap stuff has been happening since January as well but again - can't say 100% that was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Completely understandable. Makes it a bit easier to swallow! I heard some horror stories of costs of 12V replacement at main dealers.

Don't be too thankful of their generosity though, its about 5 minutes work! I replaced the one in our 221 Ioniq 38 last week after it left me wife stranded one day, our car was second hand from NI though. I think my wife probably did sit in the car on her phone with the car off, so there probably wasn't even any need to replace it (at the time neither of realised that would have as big an impact, but it seems like it does)

I also sympathise with your sentiment in the first post. My previous car was 16 years old and I had it for 11 years and generally was quite reliable, so for the ioniq to let us down within the first two weeks really knocked the confidence in it! Even if my wife did sit in the car for a few minutes, there is not a hope it would have had the same impact with any car we have had before. It owes us a good run of reliable driving from here on in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

The problems you've had are model-specific, not EV-specific.

For sure, I realise that - and I could go and buy another ioniq 5 and have zero issues.

The EV comment was more a side thing we have been thinking about really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You'll have issues with other Ioniq 5s.

For a 2022 , is this correct

"The Executive Plus adds the heat pump, electric adjustment of the driver's seat, half-leather upholstery, privacy glass at the back and the sliding centre console."

https://www.completecar.ie/car-reviews/article/Hyundai/Ioniq/Ioniq_5_58kWh_(2021)/1861/11117/2021-Hyundai-Ioniq-5-58kWh-(2021)-review.html

ie no heat pump on the Executive

Ballpark, what would have been the price difference back in 2022, please executive trim vs executive plus

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

€3k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭circadian

I'd be making the point that the fault of the flaps was most likely the cause of the 12v battery draining and ultimately failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Hyundai’s IONIQ 5 electric car

Hyundai Motor Group will launch a large-scale electric vehicle recall. It is the largest voluntary recall in three years since the automaker entered the market with an electric vehicle-only platform (E-GMP) in 2021. Hyundai and Kia will replace faulty integrated charging control units (ICCUs) in some of their EV models through this recall. The recall is expected to reach 170,000 vehicles in Korea. At the same time, Hyundai Motor Group will also recall them in major EV markets such as North America and Europe. In both Korean and overseas markets, the number of recalled vehicles is expected to hit 500,000.

The recall has been confirmed for electric vehicle models equipped with ICCUs including the Hyundai IONIQ 5 and the Genesis GV60. The models to be recalled will be announced by the Korean Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport this week. Apart from Hyundai, Kia is also planning to recall vehicles using the same components. Kia’s EV6 and other models use ICCUs from the same manufacturer as the IONIQ 5.

An ICCU is responsible for managing electric vehicles’ power and controlling batteries. If there is a problem with an ICCU, the electric car may not start, its battery may be discharged, and it may not be possible to fully charge the battery. In the meantime, there have been many reports of ICCU failures in Korean electric cars among members of internet car communities in Korea.

Hyundai and Kia are also aware of the ICCU problem. Last year, they provided free repairs to update related software and replace the faulty ICCU. However, after more than half a year of free repairs, they have decided to issue a voluntary recall as reports continued.

Hyundai and Kia plan to issue a software update once they receive the recalled models. They will also replace the ICCU if a faulty code is found in the vehicles.

A separate investigation was underway in the United States regarding the recall. The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) conducted its own investigation following a complaint that the IONIQ 5 loses power while running. “It was determined that the power loss was caused by the ICCU,” the NHTSA said in its preliminary report on the case, “We found that the transistor could be damaged due to overcurrent within the ICCU.” Hyundai Motor Group’s decision to recall the models is likely a proactive move ahead of regulatory decisions in North America and Europe, some experts say.

Some auto industry observers believe that the large-scale recall may lead to the further deterioration of the already sluggish EV market. “The Korean electric vehicle market has seen slower growth than global electric vehicle markets such as that of Europe,” said an auto industry insider. “The recall may kindle a drop in demand for electric vehicles.”

From

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

The missus is waiting for the parts for intake flaps. She says car driving normally but efficiency has noticeably decreased. (Even though temperature has lately been a little milder).

I had my car in before Christmas to get the ICCU issue checked, it's not clear if this is a separate recall!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭mrm

Yeah not clear at all. Article mentions recall for software update and possible replacement of unit if certain fault code found. That sounds like the last recall. Anyway mine was in May 2023 before the recall for a replacement of the unit (taken from a new car that had arrived in the dealership I was told). It was then also part of the recall for the software update and last night the issue appears to have returned.

It was only in last week for the vent flap to be fixed. Garage yet to contact me to let me know what was fixed last as it was also in for brakes sticking when driving off (from cold); Ac fan touch button on the dash not functioning (off button only; need to go into screen menu to switch off); heavy condensation on windscreen every morning that I think is also on inside of roof (above cloth lining) as intermittent stream of water discharges from the screws holding the sun visor on the passenger and driver side. Then the info touch screen went blank yesterday - got this on again with the reset button.

What year is your ioniq 5 ?,mine is 2023-had the iccu recall which was simply a software update, hasn't missed a beat otherwise. I'm actually thinking of getting another one.(New facelift model coming.)

Wow, that's a lot of stuff to go wrong on one car, have the garage given any options for replacing the car?

That on top of a few other glitches that came and went. Dealership have been good in terms of addressing the issues and courtesy car when in for 4 weeks to fix ICCU (compared to stories from others on this thread). They have never mentioned replacing the car and nor have I broached it with them, but I have previously accepted the fix on the ICCU and it appears to be back so not sure I am willing to go again or accept the recall. Though I am not sure yet how to go about this.

• Advertisement

Looked at a 2022 Executive plus today, no ambient mood lighting , which is strange, per the PDF above ambient mood lighting should be standard on the IOniq 5, Question to those who already have the I5 , with Executive or Executive PLus , do you have ambient mood lighting ?

Advertisement