Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

I have 96k kms on an iconic 5 (221 so might actually be the smaller battery early iconic 5s had slightly smaller batter maybe 73)

My average usage over 2 years is currently 20kwh/100km

This was actually 19 odd until cold spell in January where it has drifted up would expect of will drop back to 19 over summer again on long term average

This has a large proportion of motorway mileage though at speed limits as i generally do limerick Dublin at least 1 if not twice a week

Motorway usage over winter usually sits at around 24. Around local roads in limerick 18/18.5 would be normal. All generally at speed limits with AC at 21deg. If I recharge in Dublin couple days driving in and around Dublin out on M50 back in etc would show usage of 14kwh/100kms.

Milage range depends really. My average range in Winter generally on average 320kms. Dropped to just over 300kms in cold spell. 350kms currently. Will be north of 400kms in summer. This is with a fairly large proportion of motorway miles.

On average for me car has an effective of 350kms. Anyone asks this is what I tell them. Sometime better sometimes worse but for the average person that asks "whats the mileage like" 350kms is my answer for my driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnRi

Thank you very much for sharing and with this level of detail. More than helpful to know of another's average kwh/km efficiency, especially over larger sample size of 96K Km.

I similarly am doing largely motorway 110--120kmph speeds. I am interested obviously to see the range hopefully increase in summer. If it does, I will feel more assured that I am in and around expected/average.

Perhaps there should be regulation on EV manufacturers to share the average efficiency that all users of each model are achieving. Could even subgroup it by country etc. Data I assume they all have with the apps/systems in each car. I'm sure they would have their excuses aplenty of disclaimers about the weather, temperature etc but it would be far more realistic and practical/useful to anyone thinking about moving to EVs than the unachievable range that is advertised.

Thanks to all for the helpful replies

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GPoint

100% true about the the lights

I hate these Ioniq 5 ‘s on the road and I do flash them. Absolutely idiotic headlight design. Lenses in the middle are the ones that blind oncoming traffic. Glad at least one driver adjusted his lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Interestingly I noticed it’s only on the Exec and Exec Plus that look like they’ve their full beams on. I had a premium and my middle ones weren’t as bright as the Exec Plus when dipped. I was also flashing them thinking they had their fulls on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

Missus has the front air flap problem. Motor gone. Bit of a pain, I am away atm and she had to take a half day yesterday to be diagnosed. And whenever the part comes in another half day to have fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭denismc

Yes, I have that as well, going in next week.

Having a motor that low down in the car is just asking for trouble, it's going to collect all sorts of dirt and gunk from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

My thoughts exactly. Had mine done about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

@denismc, Were you waiting long from diagnosis until part arrived in for the repair? I am about 6 weeks waiting now, and in that time the car has developed three other faults (none stopping me driving).

I had mine diagnosed before Christmas, I gave them a ring last week to see if the part had come in and it has.

If I hadn't called I have a feeling I might be waiting a lot longer.

AFAIK there is a recall for this issue so I would have thought they will need a lot of parts.

Edit: I think I maybe wrong about the recall, I thought I read it on another forum.

Post edited by denismc on

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭mrm

Did not know it was on a recall. I'll ring on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,866 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Ev database is a good resource for efficiency and tends to be accurate in me experience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭circadian

Waiting for prices to slip a little more since Hyundai have dropped their RRP. Looking at the top spec model and I think it's a toss up with the EV6. I've had a quick look at the thread and people seem happy enough.

Any gotchas with this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think they've dropped the price at all. Where'd you see they had?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Yeah I think I saw the top spec was on the website at 60k not that long ago (maybe I seen it somewhere else?) but it's now listed as 55k. Dealerships seem to be sitting around 58k at the minute but I do wonder if this'll start to come down slowly as the market cools. The 1.9% APR is what is really pulling me in. I can get this for a reasonably lower montly/lend cost than an EV6 or similar. MSL are charging 8+% rates for a Seal so as far as I'm concerned the Ioniq 5 is currently looking a good deal.

I think maybe the SIMI price list had it at 60k.

Updated Ioniq5 revealed, with rear wiper!

Hopefully they'll have ironed all the issues from the first version.

https://insideevs.com/news/710930/2025-hyundai-ioniq-5-updates/

Nice to see a refresh, bigger battery is great. I don't know how I feel about the buttons by the cup holder, seems like a recipie for disaster (if you're me).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,936 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was in a Kia dealer earlier and they had 1.9% on an EV6 GT in the showroom, I assume it's on the other cars but I wasn't looking at buying so didn't ask.

Has anyone got solid figures on service costs on these? I seen earlier in the thread the talk of €1000 services which I doubt is true unless it's to replace the coolant.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Servicing costs does vary wildly by dealer. For the 30k service I paid 150€ but was quoted 300€ for the same service by my local dealer. 60k service could be between 600-700€ as they replace the battery coolant

• Advertisement

Sounds decent enough, yeah I'd be going for a local certified mechanic rather than the dealer. AFAIK it's not required to use the dealership but it has to be within the specified service window. 60k would be once every 5 or 6 years, I can live with that.

Someone posted earlier that they checked their coolant at 60k, it was OK so they didn't change it. So there will be a €600+ charge to change coolant, but not always at 60k

While you can go outside the dealer network to get work done if you need to use the warranty or are looking for good will then it'll work against you. You do have consumer protection on your side but it's a hard fight against the motor trade to get your consumer rights so you could be without a car for a long time.

I had the 60k service done before Christmas, at a Hyundai dealership.it looks like they didn't change the coolant but I have a receipt saying 60k service was carried out to Hyundai specifications!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭CivilEx

Getting anyone other than a dealer to change battery coolant in an EV is something I would be very careful about and give a lot of thought to before I'd pull the trigger.

I have had a couple of cars over the years that have been literally months outside the warranty period and the ability to lean on goodwill from the manufacturer was worth a lot of money to me at the time to sort out major problems (ICE cars).

Of course a certified mechanic could likely do a coolant change (assuming Hyundai would supply genuine parts to them), but it's a gamble if there is a warranty claim subsequently.

Given the very low costs of maintenance of an EV overall, I'd stick with dealers for the first three years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Anyone has 12v battery issues?

it died on us once I think during first year - thought nothing of it.

Then it went 1st Feb this year, and yesterday and now gone again today.

always works after a jump start.

since 1st Feb I’ve been paranoid about pre-heating etc and then going on short journeys so haven’t been doing that.

After jump start yesterday I drove 30 mins before car was turned off. Have used it for 2 x 5 min journeys since and it’s gone again.

we have an active air flap issue which was due to go in for replacement on 28th March but think they’re going to have to look at it sooner now - I wonder if that is causing the 12v to drain quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

Has the 12V battery been replaced? The 12V chemistry does not like a full discharge and normally would need replacing. We also have the flap problem, waiting for replacement part, but , touch wood, our 12V battery seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

No, wasn’t replaced.

the AA guy that looked at it in Feb said the battery was fine - he did a test or something.

but yeah, maybe it just needs replacing at this point.

I guess I’ll call tomorrow and see. This is now 3rd major-ish issue in 2 years now.

I guess a 12v doesn’t seem major but having it go 3 times in just over a month is a bit of a joke really.

I would imagine the battery is covered under warranty. There is always margin for error with things so it could just be a case of a battery that is poorer quality than usual.

If the 12v battery powers the flaps then it could be that the car is repeatedly trying to change the flap state and then draining the battery doing so.

• Advertisement

I have a Bluetooth battery monitor to keep tabs on the battery health.

I also had the flap issue, looking at the battery history it looks like the car tries multiple times to close the flap after the ignition is turned off and this is causing a drain on the battery.

My wife was away a couple of weekends ago and she left the car parked for the weekend with the traction battery below 20% in which means the 12 volt doesn't get topped up. She ended up with a dead 12 volt and had to get breakdown assist.

We got the vent actuator replaced this week and all seems to be good, the car seems to be maintaining the 12v ok.

Bluetooth battery monitors are very useful if you are worried about battery health, about 30euro on Amazon.

Advertisement