Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Fanirish

LDR is insanely popular and her popularity has only increased in recent years. Only a handful of acts could sell out 3 arena with a weeks notice.

Melvin won’t be slaughtered as she is the top of nearly all European festival wish lists.

In reality some people will be annoyed that’s because they have deluded themselves into thinking it is a Croke Park level act. Which anyone with knowledge of EP knows the level at which its headliners are, which is a step far below that

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭dav09

Fanirish gets a lot of predicted bookings right and has interesting industry info but really hoping these aren't super accurate like back in the 2023 thread I remember he said these were playing EP 2023: "Billie Eillish, Imagine Dragons, Ellie Goulding, Years and Years" and only one showed up but predicted correctly the early announcement date shortly after. But it's likely wishful thinking from us as a lot of them he mentioned do make sense booking policy wise even if mostly rubbish.

I presume it's probably a rough prediction based on contacts with knowledge of Live Nation package deals, exclusive bookings or something similar, similar factors, with EP being one of the last to announce it probably makes it easier to predict this time of year (apart from some due further top tier announcements).

I presume practically no one/ single digits at FR knows any sort of lineup with any accuracy apart from maybe bookers and then PR team a few days before as marketing is huge for the company and is a disaster if they leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I'd recommend for those who are misty eyed about previous line ups going back to the 2016 and other threads (2nd march was the announcement that year btw), whole lotta peeps whinging about the line up at the time (and LDR too as I'd thought).

I'd forgotten the equally b@tshit expectations of who would have been playing too, astonishing just how many years people have been whinging about lack of R-Word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Belvin Menn.

Snarky Snark Snark

• Advertisement

This is true, a lot of the European festivals are much more two dimensional with 5 or 6 stages Vs EP with probably 30+? A lot have really went downhill lineup wise. The Oxegen and Longitude comparison seems accurate as they are mostly all music and not much else to a lot of the sites.

I think the foundations set by Body and Soul's Avril and POD's John Reynolds really moulded something special at EP, even though it's lost some of what made it so special i.e. some of the main bookings, the site and some other aspects are incredible still.

I went to Primavera Barcelona in 2022 and 2023 and the lineups were absolutely immense. 2023 alone had Kendrick, Skrillex, Four Tet, Fred Again, Depeche Mode, Mala, New Order, The War On Drugs, Pet Shop Boys, Blur, Anderson Paak, Death Grips, Nia Archives and I could mention another 20 too. I would love for even just 3 of these at EP. BUT there were a lot of downsides.

BUT, these are things that happened over the two years festivals when I attended:

Main Stage caught fire during late night dance act, huge panic and wasn't put out for a good while as seemed no one knew what to do.

They had FOUR working water taps in the whole festival initially in 2022 with what seemed 30+ degrees temperature and I think over 100k people per day, tiny cans of water could be purchased at the bar I think for like 4 euro, I think beer was actually better value. Bar Ques were like 20 mins + long serving like one person every 2/3 mins, people were passing out from the heath. Like an hour qué for water and what trickled out and was warm, like luke warm tea. Slightly improved as it went on but still only had like 8 taps for a finish (and that's literally 8, not 8 water stations with 10 taps each).

The boiler room stage during Kenny Beats partially collapsed and people fell through the ground when I was there, had to shut one of few stages down for the rest of the weekend.

That's not to mention mental long walks between some stages (one in particular), public transport ques getting back, some crowd very rough it seemed, huge ques outside again no one brought water as bottles weren't allowed in. Also had some really big acts in a small auditorium on site and was nearly impossible to get in unless you waited really early for it so missed Kim Gordon and Autechre. There were online comparisons to Fyre fest after day 1 but things did improve in 2022 as it went on and less issues in 2023.

And we won't even start on Primavera Madrid, I didn't go but read the reviews as was on the same time, literally day 1 got cancelled as they didn't have the site ready, and other organisational issues as bad too by the sounds of it.

Tonnes of positives too, if you booked everything early and made a week or so holiday out of it it was actually very cheap overall, cheap food, cheap pints, some parts were actually well organised. You could do it flights, 1 week city center hotel and ticket for maybe 700 quid each which is like EP + Glamping for those into that.

But it's easy to try and compare looking through rose tinted glasses, you're comparing apples and oranges. As much as we moan about lineups it's not everything. A lot of that mentioned about was absolutely crazy to someone like me who's mostly attended festivals in the Ireland and the UK. Every festival has it's pluses and minuses and you won't really see them until you attend.

I just suggested those ones in 2023 as possibilities. Never said they were definitely playing.

Alot of people will know bits and pieces of the EP line up. Especially when it comes to international acts as other promoters/festivals will be chasing or at least enquiring about them and agents will be blunt enough and say whether they are playing EP. As for the whole line up you would be right in saying on FR/MCD staff would be privy and marketing team a week or two out from announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Musicrules

^ Spoofer. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MevinLegend

Could the lineup be released today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Nah they'll wait until everyone is hungover to the bag on Monday.

(I have no idea)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

I would say they're late with the announcement but Glastonbury hasn't even announced yet and that's in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Glastonbury apparently announcing first poster tomorrow.

EP isn’t late, it’s usually mid March. Sure it was late April last year for proper line up announcement .

Snarky Snark Snark

Line up poster leaked haha

Pretty sure that's last years poster with the colors inverted/ filtered and the names all blurred and date edited lol, same shape text and design.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭crl84

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Amazed if we get anymore than the list of craythurs Fanirish posted for their first announcement.

Post edited by Wooderson on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Clearly moving towards an Extreme Metal lineup this year.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Even Glastonbury has shíte headliners this year!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

That’s shockingly bad. As ever there’s loads of great stuff to see but the main stage sets the tone and that’s incredibly bland. Great though to see lots of Irish acts on the poster.

Dua lipa and Coldplay are hard to beat as headliners. Shania is a good choice for legends slot and SZA is solid

Snarky Snark Snark

It is 2002, I am watching Coldplay headline Glastonbury

It is 2005, I am watching Coldplay headline Glastonbury

It is 2011, I am watching Coldplay headline Glastonbury

It is 2016, I am watching Coldplay headline Glastonbury

It is 2021, Covid has me watching Coldplay play streaming from Glastonbury

It is 2024, I am watching Coldplay headline Glastonbury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

That's the first year I've looked at the Glasto line up and not wished I was going.

Personal tastes aside I don’t know how anyone can say that Coldplay are bad choice.

desired Glasto headliners a magical unicorn? Have to be insanely popular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Headliners poor but quite a few on the poster I would welcome to EP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You’d still find an incredible amount to see there, the main stage has been pants since Emily Eavis took over, I’ve seen roughly 4/5 artists there on each visit in the last 15 years.

Beyond the headliners this year you have LCD Soundsystem, PJ Harvey, Lankum, Dexys, Fontaines DC, NewDad, Mary Wallopers, Breeders, National, Fat White Family, Yard Act, Squid, Sleaford Mods, IDLES, Little Simz, Janelle Monáe, Streets, Steel Pulse, Bombay Bicycle Club and loads more. You’d have a blast, but it’d be away from the main two stages. The first year I’ve seen four headliners and wouldn’t bother going to any.

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

<UNHAPPYRESPONSEPEOPLE>TINY EDGY REAL PUNK BAND THAT ONLY I AND MY FRIENDS LIKE (BUT WIFE/PARTNER HATES) ARE TOO FAR DOWN THE LINEUP OR NOT THERE AT ALL!!! HOW DARE POPULAR MUSIC BE POPULAR ON A BIG STAGE</UNHAPPYRESPONSEPEOPLE>

(seriously though, i liked the 1st two cold play albums but they really can **** off now, pure bombastic bollocks for the last 20 years, absolutely awful)

Advertisement