Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

Coldplay to headline Sunday night it’s why they moved the date

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Christ alive, go back to the start and reread the thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Probably trolling I'd say, surely nobody could be that thick?

Snarky Snark Snark

People in this country buy the sun and daily mail, yes, they can be that thick.

A tiny 2 second google should tell people it's not them, outside the finalcials, an act that size is never going to break their tour to go to a field in Laois.

AUGUST 2024

15: Munich – Olympiastadion

17: Munich – Olympiastadion

21: Vienna – Ernst-Happel-Stadion

22: Vienna – Ernst-Happel-Stadion

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

*double post*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Synergism

The drop off from Prince and Nick Cave to Sam Smith is one hell of a decline. There's worse ways to spend a weekend than a trip to Budapest, whether you go to Sziget or not. 

There's no defending Calvin Harris, objectively terrible and an awful booking anywhere. Halsey I can kind of understand, a big industry push and an album produced by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross that was critically well received. One where they tried to be clever but jumped the gun on a headline slot and it fell flat on its face. I can understand the logic behind it. Rosalía is in a different category altogether, one of the biggest Spanish language pop artists on the planet and a Catalan playing in her hometown. A worthy booking and one that shouldn't be considered as a local act filling a slot (see Niall Horan, Picture This etc.). She also probably had the biggest crowd of the weekend and Motomami is a seriously good pop album if you're prepared to try something a little different.

As much as he is the antithesis to all that's good and tasteful in music I'm prepared to turn a blind eye to Calvin Harris when the alternatives that day include Laurie Anderson and John Cale. I think if EP announced the other Primavera headliners from last year: Depeche Mode, Kendrick Lamar, New Order and Blur or this year, most people would be pretty happy with that. When even Glastonbury is struggling for headline acts I think we can cut everyone a little bit of slack. 

It's always exciting to stumble across something new at EP, especially if you've been there number of times, a new little stage or area that you hadn't seen before but it seems like a lot of that has been lost. And it's a shame that  a lot of what is already there is being underused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Noel Gallagher hasnt got a date in Ireland yet and has a tour on. Likely headliner one of the nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Fanirish

He has played here two summers In a row with headline shows. Irish people Probably sue a year off from him

Post edited by Fanirish on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Not even Glasto would have a chance at getting Swift this year. She's selling the number of Glasto tickets several times over this summer in London alone. She's sold out 8 nights in Wembley which is around 720k tickets, not to mention 7 more sold-out stadium shows between Liverpool, Edinburgh, and Cardiff. With the size and length of the production on the tour there would be no way to translate it to a festival either. Maybe in a few years when she's not as big but no way this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Navan Man01

James have new music this / next month! All of which sounds very good!

No dates on our fair isle as yet? Maybe??

My arms are akimbo, I await being taken apart (platoon style)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Definitely won't be EP, unlikely for anywhere in Ireland this year over festival period due to a packed UK schedule.

They are playing Glastonbury but no-one knows where yet and it doesn't appear to be any of the stages on the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Anecdotally, I just got back from a ski trip and that Season of the Sticks song he has was a regular fixture with the bands in the Irish bar. I don't know what his general catalogue is like but for that one it definitely got the crowd going. I wouldn't call it a laid-back 5pm vibe in a live setting. People in this thread seem to underestimate his current popularity with an Irish crowd (myself included) but at this point I don't doubt at all that he could headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭LowOdour

That's a pity about James. A few acts of that ilk would make EP a better proposition with the acts already rumoured.

Hannah Laing playing EP, probably terminus one of the nights

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When do you think we'll get the announcement, twiddling my fingers here. Maybe Thursday or Friday this week hopefully, their last post on the Facebook event page was over a month ago.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭glennponder

Wouldn't say they have a packed UK schedule, they play in Devon the week after EP and before that their previous gig us in July.....don't think they've ever played EP either as far as I'm aware which is hard to believe, noah can headline all 3 nights for all I care if we get the james gang in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭dav09

It is depressing seeing what Sziget has become.

That being said I don't think Primavera last year at all was a bad lineup, even headliner wise. I think most of us would take Kendrick Lamar, Blur, New Order, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, if it meant we got 3 or 4 poor headliners too. Tier 2 also had Anderson Paak, The War on Drugs, Pusha T, Death Grips, Fred Again, Skrillex Four Tet. This issue is with the way thing are going we'll probably get just 6 or 7 shite headliners and the same in tier 2. And Rosalia might not be big here but there was a huge crowd at her. But this year I feel they were way off the mark this year, and ticket sales are apparently very bad for.it. If we got the quality of acts list above it would be fantastic, even just 5 or 6 across tier 1/2 which I felt we did in 2022, I would almost be happy to have the rest bubblegum pop/ depressing one man bands or whatever teens are into these days.

One of the weirdest festival experiences I've ever had was going to Laurie Anderson in an auditorium and then walking to the worst Calvin Harris gig after.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rockterrain

Not doubting his popularity, more questioning if as a collective we've dropped our standards on what constitutes a great headliner. Noah ain't it for me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭glennponder

From an objective point of view its exactly the booking EP should be getting, latest big thing, hugely popular, won't cost a fortune, very similar to when billie eilish was announced for 2018, but she was 3rd/4th on the bill which was correct......I still think it's a stretch that he'll go straight in as main headliner although could nab one of the sub headline slots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

As always, Noah's not the problem on his own. It's the bigger picture, innit?

he will cost a fortune, he just sold 40,000 tickets for Belfast in an hour at €80 a ticket. He will be getting somewhere close to €750k to headline EP. He will be a main headliner.

I would somewhat disagree with the Billie Eillish comparison but there are similarities. He's done okay in the Irish charts but they're usually not a great indicator. But global charts wise he hasn't done anything near what Billie Eillish did in 2019. She has a could of big hits, one monster hit. I first heard her music on the radio years before too maybe around 2016, objectively has a lot of good music, and stole the show at Glastonbury just before EP. Where as to me Noah I've barely heard of, has had one hit maybe two, and then the rest I've never heard anywhere, very boring music. Spotify streams/gig sales you can argue. I don't think personally anyone of that calibre with what he's achieved so far should be headlining EP, not yet anyway maybe down the line not that they will listen anyway. Is he even headlining any major European festivals this year?

Also if they booked him probably a year ago Vs now like you suggested surely his fee won't be near 750k? As surely couldn't have seen into the future.

He is headlining a few in America in June /July alongside massive venues like Fenway park in Boston. Europe run in august is mainly arenas and a few open air headline shows. No festivals really.

they wouldn’t have booked him a year and that’s now that headline fees work for festivals. If you are headlining electric picnic there is a minimum fee that the agents at CAA require. And if you try to shortchange a massive act that doesn’t work out in long run

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rockterrain

I agree sub headline could be forgiven with a major act to follow. This could push EP towards the quality levels of other similar sized festivals on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Stick Season is a massive massive song, heard Homesick a few times when I’m out and about too. Not really a massive fan of him myself, but it isn’t just an Ireland thing, he’s in demand everywhere.

Think singles charts are basically irrelevant these days but Stick Season is currently 19 globally and 3 in Ireland on Apple Music. Lot’s of people severely underestimating him.

• Advertisement

I did say he had a hit and one or two half hits. But to put him on the level of Billie Eilish in 2019 I don't agree with. Bad Guy was US #1 and UK/Ire #2 and had a lot of other huge tracks around then too in/not in the charts and had a lot of tracks on the radio over the years prior. You could compare current Spotify streams of x5 on bad guy, but is probably unfair as it's been 4 years vs less than one, but she has tonnes of songs in the 1bn+ stream territory. I did think it was too early for her to headline in 2019 but still think it made way more sense than having Noah now. I can't say I'm a huge Billie Eilish fan, seen a few mins in 2019 but much enjoyed at EP 2023 to my surprise. Sub headline wouldn't be terrible but it would depend when they booked him, but if they want to keep booking bland snoozefest acts then Noah is perfect for that.

Advertisement