Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2024 **No Ticket Sales / Requests** - Waiting in line, terrible time, over familiar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You’ve also been extolling Lana of late but that’s a fair opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭Fanirish

not a fan of her music, understand why people do but her popularity is undeniable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I'm tired of arguing lads. Let's just talk about Trailer Park for a bit. That's our happy place, right?

Close your eyes. You're sipping a mojito. You're wearing your good tshirt. The sun is shining. The Bootleg Beach Boys are playing. They've just revealed they're from Tallaght before launching into a raucous 'California Girls'. Everyone's smiling........

Was thinking after the Glasto announcement about what stuff from EP would work there. Trailer Park is one, successfully transplanted to Latitude so kudos to them.

The Salty Dog for sure and the main stage at the former Body & Soul with its grass amphitheatre.

Terminus is more impressive than the dance stages there (Sonic, Wow, etc) and would go down very well but is not on a par with the stuff in the SE Corner.

I’ve never swam in the lake (and many here advise not to) but that’s a nice option that Glasto doesn’t have.

The Mindfield area is, for me, superior to the Leftfield tent, though we could do with a bit of Billy Bragg’s curation in Stradbally.

There’s nothing really to distinguish the main arena tents and o miss the days of that beautiful Southern Comfort bar in the Crawdaddy. I also miss the Saloon bar of the early years (roughly where the Electric Ireland stage was) with western paraphernalia, sawdust on the floor and bands playing Appalachian folk music all day.

Overall we do well, there’s plenty of idiosyncratic stuff at EP and long may that continue to develop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

It is October, I am watching Seathrun66 and Fanirish go at it

It is November, I am watching Seathrun66 and Fanirish go at it

It is Decenber, I am watching Seathrun66 and Fanirish go at it

It is January, I am watching Seathrun66 and Fanirish go at it

It is February, I am watching Seathrun66 and Fanirish go at it

It is March, I am watching Seathrun66 and Fanirish go at it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Sonic and Wow stages are unrecognisable from a couple of years ago. Silver Hayes is now a genuine late night dance music alternative to the SEC, especially with the addition of the visually impressive Lonely Hearts Club and The Levels stages. It doesn't feel as desolate and open as it did previously.

The area is better for sure but I’ve never lingered other than to pick up late-night grub. I used to love the Blues Stage/Shanty Town if that’s still there. Didn’t spot it last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭TenPicnics

Please please TAKE A BREAK from supporting corporate blandness, Spotify numbers and all that crap, you're getting beyond ridiculous.

Snarky Snark Snark

to be fair to who ever they are, I don't think they necessarily support it, it's just a very cold how do money numbers work opinion that the account puts out.

I wanna know what they do though, pretty sure Fanirish previously said they were not industry but you wouldn't know about when invites went out if you were not at least a hanger on in those circles.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Advertisement

Lol not supporting corporate blandness but by definition any Glasto or Electric picnic headliner is a commercial successful “bland” act.

These magical unicorns of universally beloved cutting edge non bland artists that sell out multiple nights in the 3 arena don’t really exist.

In my opinion Kendrick and Sza actually are great non bland headline acts for Glasto. Kendrick, Outkast and a tribe called quest were the best headliner bookings for EP.

Not sure where the Spotify numbers things from. Unsurprisingly in 2024 Spotify numbers are indicators of popularity, so is the Top 30 charts.

Festival bookings and placement on lineups/stages is based on a few factor main one being tickets sold in ireland in recent years and then Spotify metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Shank Williams

Pyramid glasto stage is nearly on level of the proms for Middle English event junkies at this stage- prob a handy place to funnel the **** so everyone else can enjoy themselves- wish it didn’t dominate the bbc coverage as much - never been but it’s clearly not representative of what goes on elsewhere

even army that will those headliners be any worse than guns n roses/elton john/artic monkeys last year. (Well guns not too bad aside from all not being able to sing)

Noah Kahan Belfast show is already showing up as low availability for Belfast. 40k tickets sold in a hour. He is EP headliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

That fecking song is completely over played but somehow it stays listenable.

His song with Sam Fender is very reminiscent of early Arcade Fire, too.

Might just have to accept him and wander down for a look on the night!

Snarky Snark Snark

The only way I will learn about Noah Kahan is against my will.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭dav09

I really don't get his music, it all sounds the same. There's lots of really good rock, electronic, experimental music being made but as a culture here it seems a lot of people just like incredibly mediocre blandness.

Bookers too take a lot of the blame, just for example with electronic music, can't remember the last time Jon Hopkins, Bonobo, Skrillex, Modeselektor, Aphex Twin played a solo gig/non festival here, and I know likely none are headliners. If they don't play solo gigs then how are they supposed to benchmark them for booking festivals from solo gigs. Probably 5-10+ years for most.

Despite regular disagreements (as particularly noted by @scruff monkey) 😀 I’m with you on this and don’t believe that you’re commentating with the vested interests of others

However I don’t necessarily think the default is that the headlining acts need to be bland. I believe we’re past the era of having three (or even two) musically challenging headliners but the two festivals have had plenty of decent top acts in the last five festivals of both - Kendrick, Billie, Strokes, Tame Impala, Arctics, OutKast, Stormzy, Cure, ATCQ, Radiohead, Massive Attack & The Prodigy. RATM were also booked.

These days though I’m delighted if I get one great headliner.

Jon hopkins played bord Gais in March 2020 and Galway in 2022 as his last headline shows here.

Not really bookers fault as why bonobo, skrillex, modeselektor, Aphex twin haven’t done headline shows here in years. It’s quite simply all those acts are expensive and only festival budgets can really afford to book them here.

bookers have offered Dublin headline shows to all those listed but the fees offered or venue rejected.

Some of those are in the grey area of too expensive for vicar/Olympia but not big enough for iveagh/trinity.

Aphex twin is other side of 250k and his run last year was only festivals.

Always thought Board Gais was a strange place for that sort of gig put me off travelling up for it maybe was touring different material still 4 years ago and Galway was technically a festival but probably seen more as standalone.

Very few of those have played any festivals here either in the past 5 years and I honestly just presume bookers just don't want them that much as they're happy with booking medicore bland/don't want to take any small risk on anything. Even a safe bet booking say one for a non-headline EP main stage slot, can use it as an indicator towards interest in a standalone gig then. It's not just with electronic music or those acts just an example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So when are we going to get the announcement of an announcement of an announcement then? 😃

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Modeselektor been touring as moderat last two years and headlined body and soul 2023. Bonobo headlined beyond the pale 2022. Jon hopkins has played too many festivals here in the last 4 years tbh.

can tell you for a fact all those acts are constantly chased. Things just don’t work out sometimes.

bonobo played EP MainStage years ago in the afternoon on the black sands album run. Was excellent.

wouldn’t be surprised if skrillex is EP late night headliner.

Aphex Twin doesn’t accept non headline festival slots and he ain’t EP main stage headline act territory.

electronic music is well represented in high profile slots across all the summer festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

AT might be not main stage territory but definitely Electric Arena or Terminus marquees.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Yeah but rightfully doesn’t accept those bookings. His last tour was headlining city festivals or odd camping festival with capacity far far less than EP.

I had forgotten Modeselektor/Moderat somehow at B&S and I was at that, the covid break sorta warps things too as gigs/festivals were hit and miss for a while.

The only chance of Aphex Twin playing here in the near future is either Forbidden Fruit or All Together Now (also given history with POD). The 2017 Dublin gig was absolutely fantastic.

Skrillex would be a very good late night dance act this year, he's based out of the UK mostly now so wouldn't be a big trip. He's playing I think Pukklepop and Lowlands (they're only a two hr drive away from eachother) so there's a chance for either Friday or Sunday.

And AFX only tours infrequently. The joke about the last tour was that only occurred to cover divorce costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭TenPicnics

Did J. Hopkins actually go ahead in March 2020, or was it cancelled due to the Covid shut-down?

It went ahead, second last thing I was at before shutdown

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rockterrain

Totally. Noah tracks very bang average, don't get the popularity. Fine for maybe 5pm laid back vibe but if he turns out to be a headliner that day is going to finish with a whimper on the main stage. Yes Billie Eilish as headliner last year was laid back too, but there's somewhat more depth to her songs and show (while I thought she was also a fairly weak headliner).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Agree don't see the big hype for him but maybe that's me, either way there will be a massive crowd for his set

Advertisement