Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clerical officers 2023 - Mod warning post #306

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eirdulin

I got a job offer , pending vetting ofc. Can someone please confirm if the starting date can end up being less than 4 weeks from when vetting etc is completed, as they won’t provide specific role etc until this was done. I’m in employment at the moment, and will definitely not hand in my notice until all is confirmed and a contract is signed. Would they honour the notice period I listed in my application?

Also, would I be mad stepping away from the corporate world, take a drop in pay and lose my health insurance for this role? Corporate is making me lose my will to live 😑 and I just want to do something different, with more job security (hopefully).Has anyone else moved from corp to this role, and has advice to share?

Post edited by Eirdulin on

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

Got my start date . Will have contracts early next week and starting in 3 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bax2019

Well done! They respected my notice period completely. I’m in the exact same boat as yourself, decent salary and health insurance at the min but corporate world is killing me im hoping this is for the best! Honestly not 100% sure but im hoping the flexi time etc and the perks of the “civil service” I.e stability etc will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Eirdulin

Thank you so much for this! Congratulations to you also, wishing you the best in your new role!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Effy89

Hi All, I have my interview on Tuesday. Am I correct in saying that people are being offered positions and then being told the location? I'm living in a large county and would be disappointed if I was offered a position an hour away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 beckyxx12

You only get told your location at the end of the process, after vetting & reference checks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JustSomeone3364

That is correct.

I understand what you mean, but I would imagine that they would take this into consideration: it would be impractical to allocate someone to (for example) the opposite side of Co. Cork and expect them to drive 2+ hours to and from work every day.

My guess is that most jobs will be allocated to the largest town/s in the county. Depending on where you live, that might narrow it down a little, or a lot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I was applying for a lot of jobs around the time I applied for this one so I might be confusing things but did they not give you a choice of locations on the application form?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 enna17

The choice related to county I think, some locations might be unsuitable if the distance between home and work translates into a long commute 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

As I understand you give your home address and select your chosen counties.

I'm currently in the vetting process and they've given a vague idea of the location compared to my home address to make sure it was suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭xxbrady

Anyone.in Tipperary have an interview yet. I'm just wondering what stage they are on the Tipperary ones

I'm in the top 20 for Tipp and just got called for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 binukp

what is the health insurnace package like? for spouse and kids too. thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭xxbrady

@Effy89 thanks for the response. I have a while to go yet but hopefully will move along quick.

The very best of luck. Give us an update soon

• Registered Users Posts: 23 featranger123

This is only for Gardaí, not clerical staff. Assuming you're talking about the Medical Aid

• Registered Users Posts: 23 featranger123

I'm the same - living in a large enough county where there was a possibility of 1 hour+ commute each way if I got placed in some of the stations or offices in this county but I have received my location for my most local town thankfully and when given the location I was asked if that suited me, whether it would have made a difference to say no or not I don't know, but it was asked.

Hopefully you'll hear soon.

Thanks very much, I will update soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not in the Gards but the place I was in offered Medical Aid to admin staff and it was expensive for a fairly basic package, especially if you’re on a CO salary. You’d be better off sourcing your own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 user3169

Just wondering has anyone heard from Limerick since the campaign was launched??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 bb1998

Hi all,

I am top 10 on the panel for my county after passing the interview stage.

Does anyone have any experience on when I could hear something?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Benefit Cosmetics

Zilch

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mom2ll

I had my interview in middle February and I haven't heard back since then. Someone else with no answers for so long in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iliwysavo

Has anyone tried emailing to get any updates on their county or is there even a point?

wanting to get out of my current job so losing hope that this is going to come up soon and considering applying elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 16 niall.kennedy

i did for wexford and all I got back was a template “we are running through batches of interviews based on candidates order of merit. Should we reach your order of merit for you chosen county, we will contact you via the email provided”

so they don’t tell you were they are and it’s infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 4 iliwysavo

Yeah that’s my frustration too. I’m ones of the first for my county so I know I’ll be called but not knowing if it will be in the next few weeks or in like a years time is what’s frustrating me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wanderingaround

I did it and didn't get anything back. It is very infuriating, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mcod24

I have been just offered a job in limerick, does anyone have ideas of the hours and days? Before I accept

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭themom

I am going to be doing Mon - Fri , 9-5.

I think there is flexitime but not 100% yet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyone in Donegal heard anything yet. I haven't heard anything since the OoM before Christmas. I was quite high on it so was expecting to at least get an interview but no word yet. Have I been passed over or have they just not got to Donegal yet?

Advertisement