Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Clerical officers 2023 - Mod warning post #306

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Keyman123

Anyone have an idea whether they’ve called Westmeath for interview yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Yes, called the first 20 for Westmeath I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Keyman123

unless there is mass retirement that’s me out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 enna17

I believe the initial call was for staff needed immediately, and the pool can be drawn from for up to 2 years, we're in this for the long haul 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Unoriginal.

I know we all only know as much as each other but would anyone have any idea would they call any more in Westmeath? My OOM was under 25 so just curious if there’s any chance of something coming up soon, or if they’re probably done for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Pandering_Peter

I spotted user here mention a booklet, I don't remember seeing a booklet, I've an interview soon and I'm hoping to be well prepared

It was an information booklet that was available with the application form I believe.

I think the best way to prepare for your interview would be to review your application form so you can answer queries on your answers and elaborate or cite similar instances if requested, or at least that is my understanding, I haven't had an interview yet 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Juju11

How long did you wait for an answer after an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Effy89

I got an email with my results 10 days after I interviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Juju11

Thank you for your reply. Did you get new oom, or did you get an offer? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 JustSomeone3364

I posted this a few days ago about my interview, might be of interest to you @Juju11 @enna17 @Pandering_Peter

The response from my interview took 20 days.

Thank you, I did appreciate your post and found it helpful, I will be especially diligent on Wednesdays about checking my emails, my worst nightmare would be to miss seeing my invitation coming through 😱 😨

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got offered a job as a postman last week, I applied to both at the same time. Took it, and already pounding the pavements. Good luck all.

In fairness, they also rang me almost as soon as the email was sent out because there was not much time given to reply.

Waiting is not fun, but it seems (unfortunately) intrinsic to most public sector operations. My partner has been waiting over 18 months for her qualification to get processed & recognised with CORU and HSE.

I've been waiting nearly 8 weeks since my formal job offer, garda vetting was completed 6 weeks ago, so I'm just waiting for them to assign me somewhere and send a contract.

I've set up an alert, so I get a notification/text whenever I receive an email from them. Saves me worrying about missing their email. Might be an idea to do the same if you're worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tulisa0709

Hi am the same I’m in galway I emailed them yesterday just for a follow up and got this reply

“We are running through batches of interviews based on candidates order of merit from their assessment. Should we reach your order of merit for your chosen county, we will contact you via the email provided.”
    im currently a tco in the DSP but my contract is ending in august so im getting worried 😟

What was your OoM, and do you have any idea how many have been called to interviews already? Galway is a relatively large county, so I'd imagine they have a fair few spots to fill compared to the smaller counties. Having said that, most (if not all) of those would/will probably be filled by the first round of interviews, unless people drop out/don't accept their offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 money84

Hi all. I have been called for interview but I have a few queries after reading all of the comments on here.

1. If I get a job offer, do I have to accept straight away or can I wait for an area to suit better within the county or will I be removed from the panel?
    2. Will I have enough time to give my current employer adequate notice to leave?
    3. If they ask for references and want to contact my current employer, is that the job guaranteed because I really don't want my employer to know that I am looking elsewhere until this is set in stone?

Thank you.

This is taken directly from the email they sent after the interview:

"We now wish to formally offer you the position of Clerical Officer in [your county].

Please revert within three working days from the date of this email, indicating whether you wish to accept the position. Please note you will be required to undergo Garda Vetting and this information will be requested from you if you accept the position. If you accept this position, you will be removed from all panels – whether you selected permanent and/or temporary.

We are unable to provide further details on your assignment at this time as due to the time taken to complete Garda Vetting the vacancies may have changed by the time you have cleared the vetting process. Once your vetting is completed our colleagues in Resource Management will be in touch with you regarding the specific position that you will be assigned to within your chosen county.

If you decline this offer, no further offers will be made from the permanent panel. Your application will receive no further consideration for a permanent position. If you selected temporary also, you will remain on that panel and if we reach your order of merit for your chosen county, we will be in touch via email."

So, to answer your questions:

1. Your area is only assigned to you once the vetting process is finished. If you reject at that stage (or any stage after accepting the offer), you're out, game over, no more contact. This might be different if you applied for both temporary and permanent.
    2. As far as I'm aware, you included a notice period in the application. They will respect this in their start date, i.e. once you get your start date and position email, there will be enough time between you getting that email and you starting to serve your notice period.
    3. This is the last stage of hiring. From what I have heard/read from others, the request for references is sent at the same time as the start date, location and contract. This means you can tell your boss you're leaving, Garda will contact them for a reference whilst you're serving your notice period, then once you're finished at your current job, you'll start the new job shortly after.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So just to clarify on that..... if I decline the position at the first point of offer, ie. After the interview , do I stay on the panel?

Thank you. Very helpful.

It is unlike the HSE panel then in that you keep getting offers until something suitable comes up.

One last question, if anyone knows please, is this position based in a Garda station or are they setting up office hubs around the country? Is there any option for WFH or hybrid?

• Advertisement

How do you find it now. Would you recommend taking the role if offered? I have been in my current job for many years so I wonder if the grass is actually greener..?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm wondering the same. Am currently in a TCO job and it's fine, bit repetitive but very busy so the days fly. How much work would there actually be in a Garda station outside of the big offices?

"If you decline this offer, no further offers will be made from the permanent panel. Your application will receive no further consideration for a permanent position. If you selected temporary also, you will remain on that panel and if we reach your order of merit for your chosen county, we will be in touch via email."

My understanding of this is that if I say no now (or at any point from now on), I will be off the panel, no more contact/offers. Since the location and department are only given at a later stage, saying no at this stage is saying no to any CO job: any future offer will be identical to the one I have just been given.

If you have applied for permanent and temporary, then from what I have read, you are only removed from the pool of the one you say no to. The other application process is unaffected.

I'm not certain, but I have previously had an interview/offer for another job that involved handling sensitive information, and for that reason there was no remote working or WFH. I would imagine that it would be the same with the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sima1982

Hi all. Does anyone know if they have started calling for interviews in Co. Louth yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dells35

Any update on offaly?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭crinkley

does anyone know if anyone has been placed in Galway yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jfk77

hi everyone - I’ve been offered positions in my county but none were locations I ticked on the application? Has this happened to anyone else

'locations [you] ticked on the application'

What do you mean? Were you given another application after you received a job offer? The original application only asked you to choose which county you wished to apply for.

Post edited by JustSomeone3364 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 kay093

Hi @sima1982 yes I had my interview for co.louth in early March.

Advertisement