Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sean Gunn is set to play DCU Villain Maxwell Lord in Superman Legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

He's not a bad actor but smells of nepotism

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

'twas always thus: it's nepotism for sure, but James has always hired Sean in his various films. Maxwell Lord is probably the most "famous" character he has yet played, which also suggests to me Sean's role isn't gonna be very prominent either.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Big step down from Pedro Pascal playing Lord.

I like Sean Gunn he is a decent side kick thats about it really

• Registered Users Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I doubt Maxwell Lord will be in any way a major character. Probably just as a business associate/rival of Lex and in a few scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sasha Calle, assuming she didn't pass on a return gig, might be a little miffed she's not coming back as Supergirl. She was about the only bright spark in The Flash, just about, but maybe she's now considered tainted a little by association.

In our series we see the difference between Superman who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he was an infant, versus Supergirl who was raised on a rock, a chip off Krypton, and watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life, and then came to Earth when she was a young girl. She’s much more hardcore; she’s not exactly the Supergirl we’re used to seeing

Sounds like the same Supergirl we saw in The Flash, unless Gunn's talking of the CW series, in which case booo: would a little brightness be that much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm starting to really question whether Gunn has a portrayal of Superman worth putting on the screen.

It sounds like Clark's entire viewpoint is going to be under a heavy onslaught throughout the film, based on his description of Lois, Supergirl and the villains "who may have a point."

There's a fine line between portraying someone who can take criticism but who is also strong in their conviction, and someone who is going to be outright pissed on without reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I thought she (Sasha Calle) was superb in Flash.

The director, Muschietti?, nailed that cast choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I would say the opposite, that Supergirl’s worldview mirrors the viewers own current pessimism and weariness, and Clark/Superman’s perspective is the hopeful antidote to that.

Hope is only meaningful in the face of something, so a more downbeat foil is always required to add value.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

When you look at James Gunn's work you don't really see the kind of "gee shucks" optimism that underpins Superman; I've loved Gunn's work don't get me wrong but he has tended to prefer oddballs, outcasts and a more humorously cynical view on the world. I do worry slightly that while we won't see grimdark Superman ala Synder, it might be a similar misfire all the same. Certainly it's a bit disappointing it sounds like Supergirl won't be particularly optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,031 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It doesn’t get you much to have two heroes with the same point of view, it’s a bit of a hat-on-a-hat. It makes sense to me to have ‘goodies’ having a contrasting point of view, with Superman’s more hopeful POV questioned before ultimately winning out, since it’s his movie.

Gunn’s anti-hero success, and decent grasp of humanity across a few of his films, actually gives me hope he’ll be able to pull off the more sincere version too - but that he needs this foil to get there.

True. I'm possibly just a bit salty cos Melissa Benoist's Supergirl was such a bold, brazenly optimistic and sunny sided show, the idea we (yet again) won't get anywhere that version saddens a little.

It's the attack from all sides that I find more bothersome, fair enough if his values are at odds with 1 or 2 characters, but Gunn seems to be going for relentless pressure on Clark.

If Clark wins the day his way after all the pressure, it could be special, it depends on what Gunn wants from the character. Given he made big early noise about how important portraying Superman correctly is, hopefully it will work out. I think Rebel has outlined how it should go down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I can't say I'm particularly optimistic about the whole endeavour on a fundamental level - it seems like a bad time to be trying to kick off an 'interconnected universe' or rebooted superhero franchise - but I think it's hard to draw too many conclusions on the film itself given it hasn't even started principal photography yet :) Even with someone as open and public as Gunn it's hard to ascertain too much before the final film has even begun taking shape.

There's very much a feeling right now that the dog has bolted in the genre as a whole, but Warner Discovery* probably have the only person capable of pulling it off in Gunn.

*Edit that's probably going to be Warner Discovery Paramount by the time this film releases!

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I thought Paramount rejected the merger or the news of a merger with Warner Brothers!

Apparently the rumour at the time (20rd Dec 2023) was that Warner put that story out to distract from Netflix's Rebel Moon release, and maybe at the same time get some interest in Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom

I'm disappointed to see James Gunn has announced the other day that John Murphy will score the music for "Superman: Legacy" and gone is Hans Zimmer's involvement in the DC movies. Anyway it’s James Gunn’s project now, as what would be expected, he will circle himself with the people that he knows and worked with before in the industry to get this movie made.

Just in case you don't know John Murphy, (as I didn't) here's his IMDB page! I'm a big fan of movie scores and soundtracks and the only soundtrack I would know from his list is Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and they are soundtracks!!! Now there is a difference between a movie score and a movie soundtrack, a score is usually instrumental music composed specifically for that movie, and a soundtrack is a selection of existing songs that are used in the movie, I 'm going to have to listen to some of him work, before I can judge it.

I did notice he has done work with Gunn before, as he did the score to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and The Suicide Squad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, John Murphy is a very major and established film composer. His work on Sunshine and 28 Days Later in particular would be considered to be two of the most iconic musical scores of ‘00s cinema, and have been repeatedly reused in other contexts since. He’s worked with several major filmmakers, including Danny Boyle, Michael Mann and Gunn.

I like a lot of Zimmer’s work, but a lot of his modern work - especially in the blockbuster space - has been less than inspiring, and he’s done more than enough DC superhero films over the years. Wouldn’t object at all to a fresh musical perspective.

I also see James Gunn has announced the casting of Milly Alcock as Supergirl. I'm not sure how to understand this news, does that mean she'll be in the "Superman: Legacy" too. If that's case it sounds like a very busy cast so fare.

• Advertisement

It feel more like a Justice League film than a Superman just looking at the cast of characters.

I'm looking at it as a high budget live action adaptation of Justice League Animated, where it just happens to be an episode where Superman is the focal point.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

This thought makes me wish they just made more Justice League Unlimited instead........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'd say less Justice League and more Justice League International.

Now if only they would cast Booster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm a big fan of the old DC TV series: From Batman TAS (I have a production cel from when they did The Dark Knight) to Justice League and Batman Beyond and New Batman Adventures. Kevin Conroy (RIP) and Mark Hamill ARE the ultimate Batman and Joker, I love Ledger as Joker and he definitely deserved his posthumous win but Hamill has been doing Joker for so long, he just IS the voice at this stage. Also, let's remember, Batman TAS brought us Harley. And even Harley & Ivy in a mid-90s show allegedly aimed "For kids". Batman Animated Series did some amazing stuff. I remember saying this to someone before who was of the opinion "Oh, that cartoon? Nah, not into kids stuff. I prefer the more "grown up" stuff like the movies". At the same time as the Batmobile was driving up walls in the movies, and well before Bat Credit Cards and Bat Skates in the movies, the animated series was talking about Batman's sanity (Really, how sane can you be, dressing up like that) and about his responsibility in creating these bad guys or making them more outlandish. It turned Mister Freeze from a generic forgettable baddie to a sympathetic character. It showed the effect this life had on Robin and his disillusionment. About the impact of this double life. See the end of "Over The Edge" below. But ONLY if you don't mind spoilers. These 2-dimensional "cartoons" were more three-dimensional than any vapid style-over-substance Snyder DC movie:

Hell, Teen Titans Go is hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,253 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's starting to heat up for July 2025!!! Jurassic World is set to release on the 2nd July, However, the 2nd is a Wednesday so probably the 4th July is the real date for us here! Jurassic World is only in early development (no director yet), so this release date maybe not hold. The big news for DC Studios and Warner Bros. is Superman Legacy is to release on the 11th July. This date is actually James Gunn's late father's birthday, so I can't see Gunn willing to move this release date. Now Marvel has announced Fantastic Four is to release on the 25th July, Marvel has been holding this date for a while, originally both Captain America: Brave New World and Thunderbolts had this release date at one time or another, however they both have now moved forward to mid February 2025 and Dec 2024 respectively. I haven't seen any news of what could be releasing for 18th yet, but I wonder which movie will win out at the box office? My money is on Jurassic World.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Meh.

Filming must be starting Superman Legacy selfie

• Advertisement

Advertisement