Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭ThePott

This stance on the films that have come out this year is exactly what annoys me about the DCU reboot.

They keep being vague about what's included and who's coming back.

Shazam 2, oh it might keep going in the DCU, blah blah blah. Flash, Ezra could come back, this can be folded into the reboot, Blue Beetle is the start of the DCU. Absolute bollocks.

They're either pushing that these films still matter so people don't ignore them entirely cause they're irrelvant or worse they have no clear plan or consistency about who's coming back or what they're doing with some of these characters.

Either do a clean break and reboot or don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I won't be seeing BB in the theatre but I honestly hope it does well. I think Xolo has a lot going for him and can appeal to the younger audience. I would not be surprised if it's successful against all odds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And don't forget you also have Matt Reeves' Batman & the Joker sequel milling about as well - though to be fair they've both quite definitively existed in their own universe all the same.

I suppose to be fair if they declared early doors there was gonna be a clean break, it'd effectively condemn all these pre-Gunn films to even further redundancy. Of course, there's also that AQuaman sequel to come as well - so we're not completely done with the DCEU, such as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

If the next Pattinson' Batman movie is as good as the first half of The Batman, I will be placated with DC.

I'm bringing the little lad to BB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I'd say it'll depend on if it does well and if it has any direct ties to the previous universe.

Though if they kept it as part of the new universe, I guess that would make it like the debut movie in the universe. Like how The Incredible Hulk was the first MCU movie, but Iron Man is always seen as the first.

Though then we have Gunn supposedly keeping his Peacemaker, which I guess makes The Suicide Squad canon as well, and Black Adam and others. Yeah, it's a mess.

As for Blue Beetle. I've read some of the comics and liked him in the animated iterations. I'll watch it at some point but won't be going to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Iron Man came out a few weeks before The Incredible Hulk, hence why Stark appeared in the post-credits of TIH. The issue is that they were both released by different distributors.

Iron Man was definitely the start of the MCU.

Ah, I was getting mixed up as to why it didn't really count and thought Ross was in Iron Man rather than the other way around.

Though wording it that way sounds a bit wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I might bring my daughter to see it in the cinema, after seeing the trailer, it looks to be aimed squarely at a younger audience, it's kinda the Ms Marvel for DC !!!

I've read Blue Beetle is the start of the DCU, but didn't James Gunn say Superman Legacy was going to be the first movie, and now the Blue beetle director Ángel Manuel Soto said in the last few days, that Blue Beetle will have references to Man of Steel, honoring Zack Snyder's work and art. But that could be B.S. just the try to con people into the cinemas to see Blue Beetle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'll go see it but I see nearly everything as I have one of those passes so that's not a ringing endorsement.

If it has anything going in its favour it's that I haven't bothered looking at anything after the first trailer so if it manages to not be as bland as boring as that looked then I'll consider it a win.

Basically what Gunn said is that Blue Beetle is the First DCU character. The director says that Gunn wasn't really involved as it predated him coming aboard. Gunn has said online that Xolo will be back as Jaimie but he also stressed that Superman: Legacy is the first DCU movie.

Get your head around that. So is the movie not-canon but him as the character will be? Also Man of Steel references, really? I'm trying not be a downer but the more revealed about this new universe it sounds as inconsistent a mess as the old DC universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm fairness, they're consistent if nothing else. The New 52 back in 2011 was an absolute clustererf*ck of continuity as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you can broaden than out to DC in general: anyone wanting the fast way to a migraine should look up the canon of Hawkman & Hawkgirl. IIRC it's an absolute rats-nest of retcons, redos, retcons of the retcons and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,364 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So it's not going to be a young Superman as many though when Cavill was sacked for a younger actor.

A fan asked Gunn if his “young Superman movie” is set in the past. Gunn replied: “I was never making a ‘young Superman’ movie, just a Superman movie!”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think people are reading too much into Gunn's comments to be honest. A "young Superman" film sounds like a Superman very early in his life, an origin sort of story.

Whereas Gunn seems to be just making a film with a younger Superman, earlier in his life than Cavill's Superman would be or that Cavill could realistically play going forward (considering he's about 40 now), but not particularly a "young Superman" film.

Same way a "young James Bond" film sounds like it'd be Bond either pre-MI5 or just after he joined, whereas recasting with just a younger actor for James Bond means you get more mileage with a younger actor for the next few movies and less baggage from the previous actor's version of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Nightwing movie is no longer in development by Chris McKay. Although there maybe a chance that the character of Dick Grayson may make an appearance in Gunn and Safran's DCU in future.

Also James Gunn has said on twitter that he and Muschetti are miles and miles away from making a casting role for Batman in The Brave & The Bold movie. I know it's not much of an update at the moment.

But I do hope that a good decision will come in it's own time.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

David Ayer has recently done a 2 hour podcast with the "Real One with Jon Bernthal" which I've not heard yet, but I did heard about 30sec from it - and all I can say is wow, I've quoted a small section of what I've heard below.

“‘Deadpool’ opened, and then they never tested ‘Batman v. Superman,’ so they put the movie out there and they never did a test,” Ayer said. “And they were expecting a different result, and then they got hammered by all the critics, and then it’s like, ‘OK, we’re going to turn David Ayer’s dark, soulful movie into a **** comedy now.'”

Here's an article about the podcast.

I think all know DC is a total mess and to be honest I don’t see much changing under Gunn and I don’t think it’s all on Gunn either because he has been left a mess and then with The Batman & The Joker away doing there own thing which he has no real control over.

Now here's a good test for WB and it's DC stable, after all the flubs: 1.1 billion made on the first film, and yet I've not seen an ounce of buzz, hype or even remembrance the sequel existed in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It's weird. The best thing that they could have done was reshoot Herd's scenes with someone like Emelia Clarke.

It would mean circus attention but that would be better than nothing, and would have enticed the Game of Thrones shippers too

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

This is the last of them, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I know Covid happened in between, but this feels like it's been 10 years in the making, rather than just 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

5 Years? That's a long time. I seem to remember that everyone I spoke to was hyped to see the film beforehand and thought it was shite after they walked out of it. I can't see Jason Momoa saving this, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,342 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't think there have been any headlines, that's my point. The original film did insane megabucks, while now there's utter indifference.

Releasing this after the big DC shakeup, alongside all the bad faith actions like canning BatGirl & hyping garbage like The Flash, IMO has soured a lot of folks' patience for this universe.

I always found it odd that the first one did so well. I thought it was pretty forgettable and bland. Momoa and some of the other supporting cast were decent, but they weren't given a lot to work with either.

It really seems like WB don't really care about this one though, not just with Gunn resetting everything, but also the poor performance of everything else recently and the possibility of no stars being able to do publicity for the movie if the strikes go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

God, I watched the first few mins of The Flash. The introduction scene, right up to when he arrives at work, for those who have seen the film.

It was absolutely awful. The writing, the editing, the attempts at humour, the acting, the terrible unfinished effects.

The only bit that was SLIGHTLY fun was Batman muttering away with the lasso around him.

Does it get any better? I'd rather not waste my time if it doesn't. Truly terrible.

• Advertisement

No, it doesn't get any better. It's a big sloppy piece of crap, and if the prospect of cheap nostalgia thrills of Keaton as Batman isn't enticing, I'd leave it well be and watch something better. The Spider-Verse sequel for instance, if you haven't already.

Advertisement