Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Go visit Denmark, Holland and other similar locations. Great places to live and get around. Even for the old and less mobile.

congestion will reduce as people feel safer and faster usinh alternative transport than largely single occupancy cars

theres nothing special about DL that it can’t work. The only thing special about DL is that people don’t like change and have objected to every good proposed development. The protect out baths crowd can sit safe known that they achieved a foot path

https://www.livingstreets.org.uk/media/2t0hyzcm/pedestrian-pound-2018.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's never the older people or less mobile saying this , it's always someone with an agenda speaking on their behalf without being asked.

Our older people are well capable and the abundance of traffic makes most of Dublin a hostile place for those who are not mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

What gives you the right to speak for older people while responding complaining about someone else referring to older people.

What steps did you take to alert older people to the changes planned for Dunlaoghaite, what steps did DLR county council take to bring the voice of older people to the fore, did they send information to Bridge Clubs, Golf Clubs,local churches, Active Retirement groups, I think we can safely agree the answer is no.

one of your fellow cycling zealots already admitted he doesnt even live in DL but like we everyone in his online cycling groups he voted yes, this is like me voting for something in Malahide village when I never go there.

There is no doubt the loss of bus services on lower Georges Street will impact older people, the bus stop there services the friggin hospital, Tesco and the cinema, what is that space going to be used for at night time to ensure it has activity.

I no longer walk the coatsl road at night as its deserted, no one on the seaside of the road except thr odd male cyclist. I have told my daughters to avoid it too as they walk with headphones so wont notice whats going on around them. I advised walking to DL through Georges St but if this plan goes ahead Lower Georges St will be deserted too.

This is not fair, the town belongs to everyone and it has to feel safe, cars, taxis, buses bring activity and people snd a sense of security.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They have no obligation to go to bridge clubs, golf clubs etc etc.

And that is one hell of a generalisation too of those types of clubs.

This is hysteria. They had public notices up in places like libraries, and other civic offices, where they are obliged to have them.

Passive security of passing traffic is complete nonsense too. Some of the busiest parts of the Dublin traffic wise have the highest rates of crime.

I get to work with older people a lot. They are a hell of a lot more capable than anyone seems to be able to give credit for and many would be frankly embarrassed if they were being thought of as infirm or incapable of figuring out alternatives because they've been around a bit longer, have been through more changes, and have adapted a hell of lot more than almost anyone younger than them has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Mav11

What gives you the right to speak for older people

What is the age threshold in your mind, to be considered an "older person"?

You've been banging on here for years in a negative manner on every proposed change, from cycle lanes in Carysfort ave to pedestrianisation of Georges st, Deansgrange etc., promising and threatening doom, gloom and female assaults.

None of this has happened. We now have a more pleasant and safer environment and if you're not happy with it well, would you not consider moving?

And again yes, I do live in the county.

• Advertisement

So old people can walk around golf course and not around corner to a bus stop.

would many golfers take public transport?

No, we dont have a more pleasant safer environment, we have traffic congestion everywhere, Tivoli Road taking the coastal road traffic, doubt if Tivoli Road people would agree that their environment is more pleasant.

Close Tivoli Road and the traffic moves to Monkstown Farm, cur Monkstown Farm environment deteriorating, close Deansgrange Road and divert traffic down Newtownpark, already a very busy road.

Make Blackrock village one way and traffic goes down Anglesea Ave or Convent Road and onto Mount Merrion Ave and then back through the village, none of this is beneficial to Blackrock village, cars have to access the shopping centre and if they cant you might as well close the centre down.

And dont you dare comment on my right to feel safe in my own area and even more so my daughters right to be able to walk or run without someone attacking her with a knife, maybe see something from others point of view,lucky you that can go about your business in dark deserted urban spaces at night, some of us dont go anywhete where there isnt the security of other people and we are entitled to have our reservations taken into account without being bullied by the likes of you.

Now for the love of god stick to the debate and cease with the over bearing personal attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

What are you on about?

The seafront at DL has never been busier with people and is FAR more pleasant without 2 lanes of diesel fume emiitting cars passing through.

good riddance to them.

Blackrock village is already one way traffic.

The shops are still standing and its much more pleasant to walk around or spend time in the village as a result.

Many old people use buggies on golf courses, its a fantastic sport.

And, no of course they dont take public transport, they drive to their club

,play a few holes, have lunch, maybe play bridge and then go home.

There isnt a single older golfer i know who has even the tiniest interest in cycle lanes, they are raging about narrower roads snd junctions, most arent even aware of whats being proposed so havent grasped the implications of it. The narrower roads are going to lead to more accidents with older drivers too, some of the junctions have been tightened so much its just dangerous, dangerous for learner drivers too.

All of the nice photos shown with living streets show young able bodied people, usually drinking coffee or cycling around in the sun without helmets,elderly or those with mobility issues are whitewashed out.

The future of DL doesnt include them, thats fairly obvious.

• Advertisement

The more physically fit could take public transport to the club. Plenty of retired folks use the bus/public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭user302243

Funny that, I know a good few golfers over 70 who cycle to their club. They leave their clubs in the lockers and are big fan of the cycle lanes now. With electric bikes cycling is much easier for them.

I also know plenty who have no interest in Golf and Golf clubs but they don't spend their entire time on boards bitching about golf clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Maisie and their complaints reeks of the same elderly peoples objections we've seen against the metrolink proposals in recent days. An appropriate Greek proverb came to mind regarding them and I think it fits suitably here too "A society grows great when old men plant tress under whose shade they will never sit". Following on with that metaphor Maisie like those against the metrolink doesnt want to allow anyone to plant any trees ever because they cant see the benefit as they wont use them.

I havent made any comment about the Metrolink, I wont use it, it wont impact where I live, isnt this the DL thread.

What has planting trees got to do with anything.

Closing off Tivoli Road and moving that traffic to Monkstown Farm is nuts, closing Lower Georges St to buses and taxis is beyond nuts.

Again what are the plans for Mrytle SQ at night time, what is going to fill that space from Sept to April, cold, wet snd dark.

I walk to DL now, go to the cinema and get the bus back outside the cinema. If i have to come out of the cinema to s deserted Square and make my way to the seafront to catch a bus, I wont do that, I will go to stillorgan cinema instead.

What golf clubs have cycle lanes to the lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I never said you were against metrolink i was drawing a comparison between you and those who are against it versus you being against any change in the DL area. Also the tree thing was very obviously a metaphor I made that quite clear because i knew you would miss it unless i stated it plainly and even still you managed to not understand it....

Oh yes, carry a bag full of golf clubs, the trolley, the trolley battery, the golf shoes, the wet gear, clearly you have never played golf, dont have back, knee or hip issues, what a nice life you have.

According to you and im glad you find it more pleasant.

I find it congested and oppressive,

All the traffic is now gone to other roads, that is the point, it doesnt disappear.

Half the coastal road is unused most of the day and Tivoli Road is destroyed with traffic volumes.

More of this nonsense, not an older or disabled person in sight, sun shining, happy people stuffing their faces. Bikes and scooters discarded, benches packed together so someone in a wheelchair can just find somewhere else to go.

Benches arent usable by people with hip and knee problems so they can clear off too.

And this whats promised for DL which has a very aged population.

yeah, right.

p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭user302243

You have to be trolling now.

Taking space away from cars and giving it to people makes life so much easier for those in wheelchairs. The seafront (apart from the baths hiccup which tbf I think was exaggerated)

The new design of Myrtle Sq was a godsend, previously it was very narrow going up by the pub it would force me on the road, which wasn't safe with the taxis, so ended up usually trying to go up by Argos side but the pavement was in a bad way.

Now tonnes of space.

There are already cycle lanes on both sides of that road, why is more congestion being caused.

The result will be drivers going via convent road, avoca ave and priory to get to stillorgan, is anyone capable of joined up thinking.

I noticed on the N11 that all the paths that arent wide enough to be shared now have bike signs painted on them as if they are exclusively for cyclists,pedestrians have been whitewashed out, are pedestrians, wheelchair users, those with buggies meant to use the bus lane.

Going to email my local reps about this.

When is Deansgrange Road opening up to two way traffic again.

Traffic backed up on Newtownpark now and its only 3 pm, new bus connects stuck in it too.

Some poor devils are looking at their app wondering will their bus arrive, I have detoured into the Ardagh housing estate, poor bus driver cant do that, they are the unsung heroes of all this chaos, I dont know how they do it.

If they can’t drive on the standard road size, should they actually be driving? Are they really zig zagging all over the extra wide lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't forget the few pints in the Clubhouse before driving home, sure it's not that far really.

Is any of my post untrue?

And again how do you answer, at what age does one become an older person?

Do you even live in the area? It would seem not.

A cycle lane is not a half painted icon on a footpath, done years ago and hardly visible. Very dangerous for pedestrians. There are proper cycle lanes going in now.

Well if the traffic flowed both ways it would be twice as congested...

So I take it you would prefer no cars at all through the viilage, to remove all congestion?

That would be great indeed.

Which half isnt used on the coastal road during the day?

• Advertisement

They atent installing new cycle lanes, I rang the council to enquire why were more cycle lanes going in when there are already cycle lanes on both sides of the road.

I was informed they are doing kerb work.

Advertisement