Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Traffic & Commuting Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

You didn't notice hordes of helpless octogenarians, trapped, shrieking for their very lives, under the immense weight of several toppled benches?

That is NOT the Dun Laoghaire I know and love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Were you born sarcastic or do you have to work hard at it?

Where footpaths and cycle lanes are "shared" on the N11 have a sign that states "pedestrian priority zone", have a look at the area just before the pedestrian lights at Gallopin Green as a case in point.

What a load of absolute nonsense, do you position yourself along the cycleway and count the number of cyclists or just use whatever few minutes you may be there and take that as the average usage?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭maisie45

That isnt the arguement Im making.

Im saying the roads are being narrowed too much and broken plastic wands are littered everywhere. This is making driving difficult for both elderly people and also for learner drivers.

You cannot massively increase population numbers and at the same time reduce road capacity, this makes travelling difficult for cyclists, pedestrians drivers and its the cyclists and pedestrians who will fare eorse.

You have to work with what you have and the cycling provision in Stillorgan Park is adequate for cycling demand, you can cycle off road on both sides of the road, so what if its s painted sign on the path.

causing huge disruption here to install some sort of a super cycle high way will cause congestion all the way back to Dundrum and all the way to Dalkey, who is going to gain here, it definitely wont be low paid workers who cant afford cars and dont want to cycle long distances to work, they will be stuck on bus connect buses so the bus connect spending will be a waste of money.

The school children who may have switched to the buses will be late for school everyday so it will be back to the car leaving earlier and earlier, its all so pointless.

• Advertisement

Get off the bus at stillorgan village and walk to john of gods, the only sign painted on the only path is that of a bike, this is not a cycle path, its a shared path so there should be a pedestrian sign on the footpath too.

There are far more pedestrians than there are cyclists and footpaths they use should not have bike signs painted on them.

This is happening all along the N11, its obliterating the presence of pedestrians and the pedestrians are far more vulnerable than the men on bikes, its is mostly men who cycle so their requirements need to be lower in the pecking order than that of pedestrians..

Cycle on it, walk along it, drive northwards on it, rarely see many on it.

I mean during the day who has time on their hands, retired people, very few are interested in cycling up snd down a freezing windy wet seafront.

The young people are in school college or working so not to be found out and about.

As I said if the numbers using the facility were increasing or static DLR would be blowing their trumpet at every opportunity, its simply a white elephant now, causing huge problems on alternative routes and things need to be re assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is getting surreal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Tow

Those plastic poles are a danger. Especially the black ones. I know my elderly father whacked into one, when they suddenly appeared on the turn down Lower Churchtown Road.

The roads around Stillorgan Shopping centre are now lethal, they have been made too narrow. Large vehicles can no longer turn out from side roads without swinging across both sides of the road.

Then you have the wavy black plastic stip dividers. I have seen them half broken, sticking across both the road and bike lanes.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Your third paragraph is categorically wrong. The only way to handle the transport needs of rising population density is by allocating more space for active and mass transport. It is not possible to allocate more road space for vehicles because they are an inefficient use of limited resources. Plenty of cities have tried your strategy in the past and failed.

You’re partially right that the rate at which cycling infra is being built is greater than the increase in cycling but that’s because we’ve had decades of road building which made it unsafe or undesirable to cycle so now we need to catch up. A cycle lane on one road might not attract many people to cycle there but when it joins into a network of safe cycling routes, that’s when the greatest impact will be felt.

Those cycle lanes will also benefit Bus Connects because people will be able to cycle the last mile to/from good transport corridors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,588 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There is a perfectly safe footpath along the old Stillorgan Road from Stillorgan Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Surreal? It's hilarious. I'm still laughing at the story about the 2 old dears trapped under the bench🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Its exactly the argument you are making, you are saying specifically older people are having difficulty driving with the new conditions therefore they shouldn't be on the road.

Also like others have pointed out there is finite road space available for cars the only solution to increased population with finite road space is more efficient transport options like bus and trains or encourage people onto bikes by giving them better infrastructure. More cars has been proven time and again to not be a solution to fix transport issues.

You say the cycling provision is adequate have you ever cycled it? I haven't but i watched someone do it yesterday and the current condition of it is nowhere near safe or adequate.

As ive said before your attitude stinks of a boomer esque "well i got mine and screw anyone with different needs".

Anywhere the path is shared has a bike sign only placed on it erroneously giving the impression it is a cycle path.

These paths are shared space so cyclists need to slow down, a painted bicycle sign on a path that pedestrians use indicates that it is a bicycle lane, it isnt,pedestrian signs as well as cycle signs need to be painted on the path to indicate to cyclists that they need to slow down or else cycle at speed in the bus lane.

Where did I post about “two old dears”

I said an older thin lady sat at a bench and her fat friend plonked herself beside her, the friend was much younger, maybe a daughter.

Anyway the bench toppled over throwing the two women underneath it so lesson is unless those benches are heavy and bolted to the ground dont sit at them.

And please stop insinuating I have a mental illness, ie barking mad, you can refute points I make without resorting to insults.

Maisie, you're a complete ticket but you'll have to stop making things up. Where did I say or insinuate that you are "barking mad"

I think you need to read the post again, before going off half cocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

I’m sorry Maisie, but you are incorrect about the path from the bus stop at Stillorgan village to John of Gods. Speaking as a pedestrian, that is a bicycle path and not a pedestrian footpath, it is not shared with pedestrians until you reach John of Gods. I remember it being installed and this has always been the case.

Saying that, the alternative route for a pedestrian would be very inconvenient, but I don’t think it was envisaged that someone would get off the bus there and walk to the next stop outside John of Gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Lads can we please stop encouraging Maisie/Taxiperson. They are trolling and despite the occasional hilarious comment they are ruining this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭crushproof

Best thing I did was mute them, utter waste of time with them spamming this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Here the shared path between the village and st.John of Gods with a clear sign shown it’s a shared path

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭ted1

While he is generally wrong. It is indeed a share path as indicated by the sign

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Fair point. However, it is a very poor design with the signage on the path itself being for cyclists only. If you look at the design of the path at the start, it is a continuation of the cycle path while the pedestrian part is blocked by a barrier. Similarly, at the end it merges with part of the road for a stretch before meeting up with John of Gods.

In the case of the previous stretch of path from Oatlands it is for cyclists only.

Yes, I complained about that stretch being for cylists only, got fedup with men flying into me, theywouldnt even ring a friggin bell.

I rang the council and an official told me to cross the road and cross back again.

I didnt, I continued to walk and just ignored the abuse from those men, pity about them flying through, Im a local, my wish to walk where there is traffic is my priority.I like the feeling of safety when others are around, not the speeding cycling ones, they stressed me.

Another place where those bicycle signs on the road is inappropriate is at the left turn off newtownpark onto the N11, so confusing now to know where the turn is with that big bike sign on the road making it look as if that road space is for cyclists only, this means people are hesitating to go left and then pulling across quickly without checking for cyclists, again back to the point of making driving very difficult for older locals and learner drivers.

The RSA needs to mount a campaign now to address cyclist behaviour, its appalling, going too fast, not wearing reflective clothing, no lights, no helmets, breaking red lights, all so entitled snd you can see even here, no criticism is allowed, put posters on ignore and call their mental health into question.

Its shocking.

Its not just at that point, its everywhere from that point of the N11, anywhere the space is shared the bike sign is painted indicating to cyclists this space is reserved for them. Its on the other side of the N11 too.

I saw a woman getting off a bus one day in the rain, herself and her three children had to stand to one side to make way for a cyclist, he barrelled through.

She had to make her way along that path dodging cyclists and then Eamon Ryan thinks we are going to put the family on buses to bring them to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

They also need to do something about cars constantly breaking red lights. I find that much more of a risk as a pedestrian.

So what do you propose, close the cycle lanes to cyclists after 10.00am and open them to cars and then reverse the process in the evening ???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,639 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

35 people have been killed by drivers already this year Maisie, just one of them is a cyclist.

Explain to me again why you this RSA should be targeting cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why would anybody getting off a bus in Stillorgan village walk back down to the N11 to get to John of Gods? Madness. There are seldom or never pedestrians walking along that stretch of the N11. Most will walk down the Hill and along Church Rd. to get to John of Gods. A much more pleasant walk also, away from all the traffic.

• Advertisement

The point is not what pedestrians like to do, its the issue of painting bike signs on shared paths.

Its the same on the other side of the road, get off a bus near Cabinteely village or Cornelscourt and bike signs ate painted on the shared path there too. Hence bus passengers jumping out of cyclists way. You could live along there too and fancy a walk, why should cyclists speeding into the city take precedence over you.

Its not an issue most of the day as cyclists are a rarity, it has to be an issue at commuter time and it isnt fair, far more pedestrians than cyclists and overall they are more vulnerable.

Advertisement