Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross-border review of rail network officially launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭pigtown

Do the gantries and wires etc. for electrification need planning permission or are they exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

But that was only the case up to 2 years ago when the majority of transport capital was spent on roads, that's been flipped on its head so (pending a serious reform of ABP) you're likely to see PT investment at a pace similar to road building in previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They'd need planning and more importantly the very frequent substations that 1500V DC needs also need it. I just don't trust Irish Rail to not decide to do the entire route as 1500V DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's nothing yet to suggest that. There hasn't been a transport project of any significance under construction in Ireland since Luas cross city opened in 2017. I'll happily say I was wrong if I'm on an electric train all the way from Cork to Dublin in 2033.

Well we've only had this change of policy for 2 years now. I think by 2025 there'll be really major construction work in Dublin on the transport projects, the guts of €15bn is to spent in Dublin alone on the 4 major public transport projects. That's about the same spend we had on the national motorway network. You're talking another 4 billion on Cork projects starting around 2026. I doubt that Dub-Cork will be electric by 2033 but i would say it'll certainly be at an advanced stage as a project. Dublin will likely have some new projects on the books by then also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

According to IE, mainline rail electrification will not be DC. 25kV AC is the most likely system.

DC is the more efficient system if you're operating a lot of services in a small area, but over longer distances, resistive losses become a problem with DC systems, so you need more substations. Even if AC is less efficient within the train, the lower transmission losses of AC power more than make up for this.

Trains that can run on both AC and DC are commonplace; less common is dual-system electrification, with both AC and DC overhead.

The 201 series locomotives have an operating life of 30 years, but can be extended to 40. The newest ones are now 28 years old. The carriages used on Cork Dublin are still good for another 20 years. So at some point in the next 10 years this service will need new trains, or it will suffer poorer reliability... those new trains/locomotives should not be diesel powered if we have any intention of meeting our transport co2 emissions targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

New diesels can be bought for cork-dublin and then when the line is eventually electrified, new electrics on Cork-dublin and the newer diesels used to replace aging diesels on other lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Hard to see the justification for buying new Diesel trains in the current world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Justification is we have little other options - the trains will need replaced before the line is electrified.

I don't think battery only trains could meet schedule when charging is accounted for, and hydrogen trains are not fully mature technology nor do we have fueling infrastructure for those either.

There will be diesel trains running in this country on some lines for the next 50 years

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Bsharp

Irish Rail got Connecting Europe Facility funding of 2.6m to study the Dublin Cork Line improvements, decarbonisation formed part of the study. Wouldn't take much to electrify Limerick services as well if do it right and make passive provision as part of the double tracking.

• Advertisement

Per the Rail Review, Dublin/Cork,Limerick,Galway and Belfast are planned to be electrified by 2050. We should have plenty of Diesel stock to infill the remaining lines via refurb rather than buying brand new Diesel stock. Even Irish Rail aren't planning on buying any more new Diesel stock per their capital investment department.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Apologies, absolutely correct, it looks like Letterkenny went form less then 20k in the 2016 census to 22k in the 2022 census. Well done Letterkenny.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just to be accurate, they don’t say these lines will be electrified, they say they will be “decarbonised”. That leaves it open for them to use hydrogen or battery as well as electrification. From presentations they definitely want to electrified Cork to Belfast, but the others parts could still be up for other options. I’d say they need to study the options in detail.

As for other comments above, they are definitely going to do AC.

For new trains, the tender for the Enterprise replacement is for either bi mode or tri mode trains. Basically they will be Diesel powered and can use both DC and AC overhead. Once the line is fully electrified then diesel will be removed. I’d assume the Cork replacement trains will also take the same approach.

All the red are under electrification, including Derry/Dublin. The Cyan and Green are decarbonised.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

People are talking about the Rail Review like it’s a firm design. It’s an aspirational document that would proceed as dozens of lesser projects if at all and there is realistically no end date. We’ll get bits of it at different times and maybe in different forms from what was envisioned.

As for expecting that public transport investment will ramp up from now on, it’s unlikely to be like what happened with motorways in the 2000s. Roads are passive, you build it and the public make their own way onto it. Public transport requires a service to be provided, which means staff, salaries and admin. This is the reason globally that road building proceeds faster than public transport building.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Just because it's an aspirational design doesn't mean it's not a firm plan. Plans change, but that doesn't mean we should not make plans. Any significant changes to this 'plan' will need to be scrutinised and justified. The AIRR has set the tone, expectations and priority for the individual projects needed - which will become self fulfilling.

I think you're right, road building typically happens faster as it can immediately be used by anyone with a car, to drive wherever they want. A symbol of freedom. But that's changing and younger generations expect better public transport - being connected to a city with a train and not dependent on a car is now a symbol of freedom.

I am more optimistic about the plan!

I see the review as a sort of master-plan, of which we'll see maybe 60% turning out roughly as shown, plus other things that aren't even on the plan.

I remember the 1998 Roads Needs Survey being similar: it did the sane assessment for the road network. Abd even though it was overtaken by an economic boom that saw some routes ending up at a higher standard, there are still recommendations from there that have not been put in place, 25 years later, and things (e.g. M3) that were not recommended at all.

I agree with you on cars: Cars are freedom only while very few people have one. I am in the generation that discovered this first hand, as car ownership exploded in the late 1990s: we went through traffic growth in 5 years that other European counties took 20 years to see.

But it's not just younger generations who have fallen out of love with cars: I cannot believe that the people sitting in traffic jams for an hour or more every morning and evening would not swap them for a faster public transport service.

(I know there are long distance commuters, but their journeys are a tale of two halves: free flowing traffic in the oter section followed by jams close to the city - park and ride is the solution here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's naïve at best to see the AIRR as some form of binding document. What gets built is what the government wants built. I worked in the HSE for years and was often involved in planning teams for new projects, from bike sheds to hospital extensions to entire residential villages for elder care. Ministers can at the stroke of a pen scrap entire projects which are shovel ready, with nothing more than a vague "circumstances have changed" (without ever elaborating what has changed) or "This project was a great idea, but we want to make it even better by sending it all the way back to the drawing board".

They don't feel bound at all by reviews or recommendations.

Take the example earlier this year where the speed limit review recommended across the board lowering of speed limits; the government were trumpeting it front and centre declaring ""The experts have spoken and we can't argue with them. We have to decrease our speed limits in the interests of safety. It's our only option, we're doing this to save your life etc."

A few weeks later a separate review said we'd need to spend a huge amount on road infrastructure to improve road safety, and out of nowhere the experts were wrong and very fallible. Ministers were declaring that it wasn't a priority for them and there were other ways around it.

They're not in govt (yet) but look at SF too. When the AIRR was published they too came out with the "We came up with these ideas first, and now the experts agree with us, build it all now!" but last week at their WRC event SF were saying that they'd build whatever they wanted regardless of whether it was in the AIRR or not.

Ah I don't think anyone is viewing the AIRR as binding. It's neither something to be viewed as a firm plan or, equally, something to be dismissed. The AIRR is a blueprint for a national network and it's about time the country had one.

Nothing truly ground breaking in the AIRR - all very sensible upgrades and additions. Maybe just the new sections of rail near Dublin to improve the intercity network, and the Cavan line - but even these are hardly ground breaking.

@CrabRevolution - really good point about governments restarting plans to make them "better". Perfect is the enemy of good, but we keep falling for this trick - Health is the worst offender, but it happens everywhere.

I would rather see incremental improvements made year by year to make a good system better, rather than have nothing done at all because any works would be superseded by a future "super-project" that has a chance of never happening..

The Rail Review is actually quite good in allowing incremental implementation: it has only a couple of high-cost projects (Cavan-Portadown, Portadown-Derry), but everything else could be divided into pipelines of 1-2 year improvement works. The problem is getting the political will to start filling that pipeline of projects.

In contrast, if a High Speed Rail line had been recommended, that would have been a perfect example of the kind of "jam tomorrow" project that guarantees nothing else gets done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Sad that the idea of dual-gauge conversion wasn't even mentioned in this report. Probably something Ireland should be looking at long term.

As an island, we don't have a break-of-gauge problem, and that's the only reason why countries spend money on dual-gauge tracking. But as an island shared by two jurisdictions and two operating companies, we definitely would have a break-of-gauge problem if we tried to to change ours.

From previous discussions, the long term savings (mainly from being able to buy refurbished rolling stock) just don't make up for the enormous cost: you're effectively re-laying the whole length of the network, and if you're going to do that, isn't it better to not end up with the exact same size of network afterwards?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Changing gauge is like changing driving on the left to the right - absolutely no way does it make economic sense.

There are better project to be spending money on - like electrification of the lines.

Even if we had a tunnel to the UK in the future it would make more sense to have the standard gauge train terminate in Dublin and have connections to Irish gauge services

Can't recall seeing images posted of the recent work on the WRC, so posting here.

On Nov 30, 2023, Eamon told Irish Rail in the Dail to clear the line and one week later it started and it was done by January. Looks great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Are IR going to run test or trial runs on the line to see if it is safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is zero intent to run trains on it without complete reinstatement

Also, it's disconnected at both ends and has a hole in the middle where the N63 bridge was removed. It's also tarred over at many level crossings.

So no, they won't and they can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Economics101

This hopeless bit of track gets more attention from rail "activists" than the rest of the ntwork combined.

A lot of people think that railways are a thing of the past, and this fetish only confirms that view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what was the point in clearing it (which they did a few years ago as well).

did they do the whole way from Athenry to Sligo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Westernview

You have quite the chip on your shoulder about that line. People are quite entitled to post updates without such condescending comments.

The comments on this thread relating to the WRC occur only occasionally and the thread is dominated by discussions on other lines. Even the WRC thread itself is quieter these days.

Do we call people leaving comments on other lines 'activists' with 'fetishes' as well? Of course not.

Advertisement