Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭bog master

And go on to the New Recycling thread, all the kudos to the German system. Yeah Germany where one can get a decent can of bee for €.50!! Quote other countries with their system or economy only if it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We can agree on MUP.

An absolute disaster for someone who enjoys a few drinks in their own home.

The killing part is that even if we tried to we can't vote it out.

All the government and opposition parties voted for it.

Well any TD that comes to my door will be asked about it and the current studies from Scotland will be printed and handed to them. Their response MAY gain them my vote but their future speeches and votes will be closely monitored rest assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭chrisd2019

Was thinking about this myself. Might bottled beers replace cans with a deposit more widely?

I think the change in buying habits caused by DRS will be interesting.

Since MUP when beer is "on offer" ie. at the minimum price you can buy bottles for the same price per litre as cans.

It's much handier to drive up to a bottle bank and dump your beer bottles than have to use the RVM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,615 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MUP in Scotland will rise from 50p to 65p in September. If the politicians vote for the change on 19 February. And the whole thing is not abolished in April. The increase is to make up for inflation since 2018 which makes 50p then worth only 41p now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-68238846

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it was about making alcohol harder to afford then they could have increased excise duty.

They didn't.

Expensive drink that was already over the MUP wasn't directly affected, only the cheap plonk and apart from the VAT all of the price increase was pocketed by the retailers and distributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So a tax on the poor basically (yes I know it's not a tax!!)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,665 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The price of Class A drugs will be even more appealing.

• Advertisement

Smokers beware! I foresee a tax on pouch tobacco because smoking is bad for you. But only the lower class buys pouch tobacco, the middle and upper classes will be exempt. And heaven forbid, no way should this tax infringe on Cuban Cigars!!!!

Retailers with a pub were not selling any product under MUP in 2021. MUP for a pint of stout, lager or cider is around €2. So they gained nothing from MUP. There is plenty of discussion about excise earlier in the thread. Without MUP the supermarkets would just keep doing their special offers, regardless of any excise increase.

This is from the Booze Megathread in Bargain Alerts 2014, referencing booze deals for St Patrick's Day. The discussion about a possible MUP had started a few years earlier, so they had begun to pull in their horns a bit. They stopped doing ads linking booze bargains to Child Benefit Day as well.

"Overall they are not 'great' offers though. I remember it was Tesco that went BOGOF on €24 slabs (circa 50c a can) one Paddy's day 5 or 6 years ago that started the backlash against the supermarket drink offers."

The publicans certainly expected to gain from MUP because they lobbied long and hard for it.

There was no backlash against offers among home drinkers like myself.

We just bought a couple of cases when it was cheap and drank at the same rate as usual.

So they specifically were targeting cheap drink deals that people with less money were more likely to avail of, so it is as has been said many times a tax on the poor.

The vintners' associations lobbied very hard for MUP and it hobbled the opposition basically.

Same reason the independent off-licences campaigned for it - their product was much closer to pub prices than supermarkets were.

Ads linked to benefit day etc. were distateful but some publicans had done that too and got lots of bad publicity over it. IIRC the alcohol advertising rules were changed as a result.

€24 a slab is €1 a can not 50c. That's also an extremely time-limited offer too.

Life ain't always empty.

Do that sum again with BOGOF.

Advertising and labelling are a big part of what the legislation is about. That will probably be more important than MUP in the long run. It is not fair for those poor families to be targeted by the supermarkets with booze bargains. They need the money for food.

PUBLIC HEALTH (ALCOHOL) ACT 2018

An Act to provide for the minimum price per gram of alcohol, to confer the power on the Minister for Health to, by order, increase that price, to provide for the labelling of alcohol products including the inclusion of health warnings and the alcohol content and energy content of alcohol products on alcohol product containers, to provide that an applicant for the grant or renewal of a licence under the Licensing Acts 1833 to 2011 and an applicant for the grant or renewal of a licence under the Registration of Clubs Acts 1904 to 2008 shall notify the Health Service Executive of the application, to provide for restrictions in relation to the advertising and sponsorship of alcohol products, generally and in relation to children, to provide procedures in relation to the exposure for sale and advertising of alcohol products in specified licensed premises, to confer power on the Minister for Health to make regulations for the purpose of prohibiting or restricting the sale of alcohol products in certain circumstances, to provide for enforcement measures, to provide for the repeal of certain provisions of the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2003 and the Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 , and to provide for related matters.

So poor people need to be protected from themselves? That's some high horse your sitting on there.

Also if these deals were so detrimental to our society why did our consumption drop steadily and continously for the past 20 years while these deals were happening?

Yeah dxhound, maybe pay them in vouchers which can be used for food or electricity but not drink or Netflix. Their lives need controlling and how dare they attempt to have any fun whatsoever.

FFS

Also two slabs for €24, really?? If you have to pick the most extreme or made-up examples to prove your point, well, it says a great deal, just not in the way you think it does.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭satguy

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Never ever saw two slabs for €24 ,,, But have very fond memories of tesco doing "any slab (24 x 500ml cans) for €24 , They were piled up to the ceiling.

Also if I'm NOT wrong,, tesco would do any slab for €20 in the last days before Christmas..

The only way to bring those days back,, will be for us all, to stay away from our local pubs, until it hurts them too..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,843 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Only a few short years ago 24 can slabs were freely and readily available for €15 (and even @ €10 in places)

so €30 for 2 slabs and using the 10 off 50 voucher which was allowed back then brought it to €24.

• Advertisement

There are over 16,000 posts on the Booze Megathreads. No need for me to make anything up. A natural time to look is around the middle of March in any year, when the offers for St Patrick's Day would be doing the rounds. Here is another one from April 2015, not connected with any public holiday. They were already speculating in 2015 about ways the supermarkets could get round MUP if it ever came in. Like giving lots of free food with slabs, or giving 50% of the price of drink in club card points. None of them made it into the real world.

"Not sure why this is being cleared-

Got two 4 packs of Cobra 33cl bottles- yellow stickered in Tesco Maynooth @ 1.35 per pack. I.e. 8 bottles of Cobra for the grand total of 2.70. Best before end December 2015.

Got one 4 pack of 33cl bottles Birra Moretti (Italian beer) yellow stickered @ 1.72. Best before end 03 2016

Got a 12 pack of 33cl Carlsberg bottles yellow stickered for 5 Euro (in a Tesco own brand cream liquer box- sealed- not sure what the story is with it- but its best before end 02 2016.

All of these were in a few interesting arrangements at the end of the alcohol section- not with their regular displays. I have no idea why they are discounted like this- the prices are a little ridiculous"

Sounds great if ye live near a Tesco, closet to me is 89km.

Your local friendly publican will probably give you a pint at €2 or €3 less than Dublin prices.

Have no idea of Dublin prices-my local is €5.00-I doubt that the majority of Dublin pubs are getting €7-€8 a pint.

12 Jan 2023 — A single pint of Guinness cost €7.60 in some pubs in Temple Bar last March, and €7.95 in October, according to publicans.

Outrageous but you are cherrypicking. A tourist hotspot which they can charge what they like, The Temple Bar Association or whatever the quango was called headed by Laura Magahy totally fecked up and ruined it. And I say this with sadness and remorse because in my working life, I and others tried to keep the original spirit of Temple Bar alive, WE FAILED. One of the big regrets of my professional life.

LOL typical of you to cherrypick the most widely know hotspot for overpriced pints.

It proves that MUP has nothing to do with pub prices. MUP is around €2 for a pint. Publicans can charge what they like.

Have no idea the point you are trying to make?

• Advertisement

It has everything to do with pub prices, as you well know the original reasoning for MUP was to try push people back into pubs as they were losing customers due to the high prices they charged vs the off trade.

Advertisement