Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Dub.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

Jeez, 6.10 euro for my bottle of Peroni in Wetherspoons of Dun Laoghaire these days. It was 4 euro not that long ago. And that pub is an utter cesspool. Their usual cheap English ale tastes like urine. Even the cheap sh.itholes are expensive these days. It`s still five euro for a proper pint of Guinness in Buck Mulligans around the corner. And i`ve bumped into Cillian Murphy three times in there. Just don`t ask him for a selfie as he will tell you to fukk off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Mate of mine works in Customs in Dublin Port. He was saying that the amount of drink they are seizing has shot up in the last 6 months. From cans which were never an issues before to cheap whiskey and vodka. The spirits are all chinese knock offs he reckons. And you guessed it. It's only a fraction of what is actually coming it. He says if they are stopping 5 percent of it they are doing well.

So get the number of your local hash dealer. They'll be doing trays of Heineken now.

What'll happen is we will have a recession soon enough and this madness will increase ten fold. But AAI will hail the decrease in mainstream sales as a success. A turning point in Ireland's fight against the bag of cans.

Nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

These AAI people need to have a drink and calm the f**k down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He should not have disclosed that information to you.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I understand the anti feelings for AAI, but they are really little more than a small lobby group. They really are not the problem.

It is the vintners, and the producers, that are using the shield of the AAI to sort the market out for themselves.

Vintners, obviously reducing the price gap, or even simply making it seem that alcohol is expensive everywhere, suits them perfectly. But supermarkets were driving prices down, highlighting the massive premium being paid just to have a pint on draught. But for many people, and COVID helped accelerate this trend, simply cannot justify having to pay 5/6 times the price just to stand in a particular location.

For producers, the main ones, MUP effectively wipes out competition. Ireland is very brand loyal but has shown since the introduction of Lidl & Aldi that if the price gap is large enough then we are prepared to move away. Not only does that directly impact offy sales, but it has the very real danger of lowering the value of their brand as beer is seen as more than just the main brands. Allow that to get too far and pubs will start to move away from the regular market leaders looking for better pricing.

So your ire needs to be directed at those that are ripping you off. The vintners and the producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,973 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'd broadly agree, but they are part of the problem as they give "cover" to the others. All members of this unholy trinity need to be criticised and called out for their hypocrisy and canards.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Is brand loyalty in Ireland (very brand loyal), and the recent change you identified, out of step with other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I would say yes based on personal experiences and i think its mainly due to the taps in pubs up and down this country for decades were exactly the same. Its only in the past 10ish years weve seen different beers appear on draught across the country. If you go to the UK you would indeed have pubs in a similar vein to here with only "brand" beers, but there are also a huge amount of smaller local pubs that have a majority of taps from local brewers. I was in Paris over the weekend and every pub I went to had the expected 2-3 standards but then also 4-5 different beers on tap for each pub, I would say the same for anytime ive visited the US with taps having a massive choice in every different bar and talking to Germans I work with Germany would be completely different to us again having a lot of different choices in every pub you go to.

You see people were kind of forced into a brand loyalty since our choice in the pub was so limited for so long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In other news consumers are being ripped off by MUP which is the subject of this thread.

Yeah there must be a "shite-talk about pay TV" thread somewhere 🙄

Life ain't always empty.

mod

30 irrelevant, off topic comments about pirated TV boxes and similar discussion deleted.

All involved will be threadbanned if they drag the thread off topic like that again. That’s the only warning.

Raichu

Against the law to give out drinks with haircuts. This should result in cheaper haircuts, because the hairdressers would have been adding on to the price to get back the money they paid for the alcohol.

"A free glass of wine offered at e.g. a nail bar, hairdressers or barbers is not permitted. The purchase of a service such as a manicure or haircut may not result in the offer of an alcohol product free of charge. "

(Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 (Sale and Supply of Alcohol Products) Regulations 2020 (S.I. No. 4/2020) Guidance for Industry) January 2021.

All should be banned and enforcement carried out.

As I've said there can be no hypocrisy with MUP or health warnings on beverages. Pubs should be made carry the same health warning on glasses as your can will carry at home. I've no issue though if they want to put the health warning on the packaging your six pack comes in as a compromise. Then they can apply thew health warning in pubs to the bar tap mounts or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The law is there it's just not enforced. Every pub in my area is open at 10am on Sundays. It's not even a secret. The cops either don't care or they are complete morons seeing as everyone else knows about it.

Yes let's own it.

Nasty Irish Control.

They sat in the Dail, all parties, government and opposition and decided that having a beer with your haircut had to be stamped out for your own good.

They are all open in my area from around 7 am on Sundays. I can see the attraction of having a few pints in a pub at 8 o'clock on Sunday morning, but not having a drink when I go for a haircut. Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Indo this morning:

'Concern that parents of school-going children are drinking several times a week.

More than one in five parents of school-going children are drinking alcohol several times a week, according to a new snapshot of the nation’s lifestyle habits.

The annual Healthy Ireland survey from the Department of Health shows the proportion of the population consuming alcohol in the previous 12 months is down to 70pc, a reduction on the 75pc reported five years ago in 2018.

But Alcohol Action Ireland pointed to data showing 21pc of parents of under-18s are drinking “multiple times a week”.'

AAI... would you ever just F**K Off

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement

Only 21%?

Life ain't always empty.

AAI our self appointed conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Leading surveys: the weapon of choice for zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

so **** what, most of us are worked to the bone paying to live in a ridicuosly expensive country, whats the problem with a few beers and glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus fvcking christ, self appointed morality police. Im tired and enjoy a drink on friday and saturday nights. They can fuvck right off with their moral absolutist piety, absolute shower of nosey cvnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bluedex

Well now, if you're not mature and responsible enough to know what the problem is, the AAI will have to tell you!

Bunch of curtain twitcher waste of space preaching <insert appropriate term here>

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bog master

An interesting read, but one tidbit!

Evaluating the impact of Minimum

Unit Pricing in Scotland on people

who are drinking at harmful levels

Final report

7 June 2022

Conclusions

The introduction of a £0.50 MUP in Scotland led to a marked increase in the prices

paid for alcohol by people with alcohol dependence. There is no clear evidence that

this led to reduced alcohol consumption or changes in the severity of alcohol

dependence among people drinking at harmful levels. There is some evidence it

increased financial strain among some economically vulnerable groups but no clear

evidence that it caused wider negative consequences, such as increased criminality,

illicit substance use or acute withdrawal. People with alcohol dependence received

little information or support prior to the introduction of MUP, but there is no clear

evidence this led directly to any harmful outcomes.

https://www.publichealthscotland.scot/media/13486/evaluating-the-impact-of-minimum-unit-pricing-in-scotland-on-people-who-are-drinking-at-harmful-levels-report.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Archeron

A bit unrelated to the main point of the thread, but out of nosiness i looked up AAI on instagram.

Ive seen labradors with a higer social media following.

How have a group of people that (in that particular social media space anyway), have no real interest from the public in what they think got the ear of the government to this level?

It's not just the Government either.

They have the opposition in a trance as well.

There wasn't a single voice raised against MUP in Dail Eireann.

They all supported it so who can we vote for ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement