Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Cheers lads. I think I’ll put 3 AA heifers in together. They have similar fat cover around the tail bone and I’m just a little disappointed I can’t keep them another 6 weeks to finish them.

You can see the AA mature and start to lay down fat quicker than the continental dairy-cross cattle. But they won’t give as big a carcass. Whichever is best depends on your system and sheds I guess.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 49 1848

Those cattle not finished. Needed further feeding which would improve grade. Fat scores too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭limo_100

Hi Lads have a few weanlings bulls only 4 and I'm feeding for sale 3 ch and one BB. Two of the ch bulls are 450-500 and the other 2 are prob 280-320Kgs I was planning on keeping these until end of march early April but with the trade hopping and the journal saying 4euro a kg is it time to move them or will this trade hold up until April?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Mf 265

No need to get so narky , that person is right then cattle had teriible kill outs, should have went to mart with them.

Those cattle left me a margin I’m happy with.

I know what they’d have left me if I brought them to the mart and it wouldn’t have been as much as the factory in this case.

We’re all posting on here to ask questions and to try to help others. I don’t mind any criticism whatsoever - I’d post nothing if I did. But why just insult someone out of the blue?

If I wanted that I’d go to Twitter or Facebook. Or the local S&M club 😂

As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters. What age were them heifers? And would they have being roughly 550 live weight when slaughtered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Quick q do you finish cattle and have you finished dairy bred stock. Carcase weight at back this year mainly due to the very wet weather last year.

• Advertisement

No i dont finish cattle, I keep cows and sell my calves as wealings. I ment no offence to any1, just seemed extremely bad weights, hard to see how you could make money at them weights but if he is happy with them fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Turning dairy bred stock is very different to suckler stock. Prime example was this week here with 2 heifers. A bucket fed aa and a 20 month suckler aux.

Aax 240.2kg o=3= was 486kg going into the trailer at 23 months

Aux 296kg R=3- was 536kg going into the trailer at 20 months.

Kill out % are back a lot with dairy bred stock. Hoovering above and below 50%.

Yes I would love more weight, but it comes at a cost in ration and feed and those AaX can jump fat grades in a matter of days. The above is an example of a heifer out of a 1st Calver. I would consider them weights that @siblers@Siamsa Sessions had for sub 22month dairy AA as very good.

They might not have been finished to what you or @1848 taught. However they achieved both the AA and QA bonus. When he sold them its unlikely he would have done any better in the mart.

For nine months of the year you are as well or better off going to the factory than the mart if you are QA and in the scheme with AA or HE cattle. There are short periods in between when you ate better off in the mart. When at that you need to know your killout off the mart you go to..

The reason I asked @Siamsa Sessions fir the grades and FS was to see if he should send the ones he had now to the factory. I presume now he is judging them off the previous bunch so ya he should go to the mart but he should be prepared to take them home unless he is getting 2.65-2.75/kg minimum off fresh weight at home

God only knows how a mart scales works

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭grass10

Your aa had a very good kill out % given her live weight my experience of aa and HD heifers out of a shed with live weight of 550 to 620 kg will usually give from 48 % to max 51 % with fat score approx 3+ and this is based from a good few years finishing cattle all would be dairy bred

They were 21-22 months, gone before Xmas. And yes, they’d have been 550-560kg live weight.

They cost me approx €900 including purchase and were killed at €5.35/kg including breed and QA bonus.

Dairy-cross animals are different as was said above. Sorry if I came across narky. It wasn’t the intention. I’ve turned the other cheek about 6 times today and the 7th person flicked my switch.

Yes, I’ll be bring them home if they don’t make that. Took me a while but I’m learning something from you 👍

Best of luck I mart with them, 🤞

Where you hope with slightly underfinished AA/HE stock is that butchers will push the feedlots and lads around the ring to a better than factory price or that a factory buyer will pay finished price for them. Even with all the hype about price I still see semi finished and finished cattle ( mostly cows) making less than factory price.

As well lads forget that if you are working you need to take a day's holidays and hang around the mart for 4-6 hours. If you ate paying for transport it's another 10+ to bring them home and you then have to go to the factory

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

Plain/average suckler bred bulls making a bit with e3 per kilo. To get e4/kg most likely need bulls to be good golden charolais type, e/u grade blues and muscly red limos.

Thanks i have u grade yellow ch prob make somewhere between 3-4 a kg if I’m lucky. But what I was wondering is have they peaked or will they be still good in mid March?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

If it’s Adam Woods i wouldn't take much notice, he only seems to see the dearest animal in the mart sold. Cattle aren’t just as dear as this time last year imo, cows and weanling bulls aren’t anyway.

I sold some Limx bulls last week, 360kgs €1240, weren’t the best ones in the world but nice enough. You’d imagine the trade should hold up especially if it ever stops raining at some stage but who knows. I think i’d sell them now if they were mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I’d chance them until mid March/April Grass buyers will be out and are a great customer. The current wet weather will put off a lot of buyers at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

A nice bunch of AA blks 310kgs made 1050 in skibbereen today. Nice money me thinks.

It will stop raining at some stage, rain is the difference between this and last year. Last winter was dry and mild plenty of grass that was able to be grazed this time last year, I was starting to let cattle out, it will be 2-3 weeks more at least this year, plenty of grass but ground conditions too poor.

They would not be the type I would buy this time of year but I would expect them to hold whether they rise further is questionable

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Gudstock

I'd sell now, 450kg plus good suckler bulls going into a finishers shed I'd say, not for grass buyers. The lighter ones too if not for export will go for bull finishing too so not out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭kk.man

According to the rag this week Turkey is looking for 600k weanlings...that's some amount... cattle won't be cheap for a while yet.

@Siamsa Sessions fair play on those cattle...you would have got less in the marts... every person should know their margin and people's circumstances differ fodder/housing etc.

What kind of weanlings do turkey normally purchase? continental cattle?

Yeah I was debating about finished them as well but don't have enough of the heavier ones so probably better to sell them

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Halliseys be buying red limo and golden and white Ch for turkey ,

That's good great to see a trade for quality cattle, have they started buying yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 1848

Regarding margin, I aim for €1/day for every day on the farm based on sale price less purchase price & allow for direct costs - feed, fertilizer, vet, transport & commission, contractor. With the way inflation has gone the €1/day should probably be revised upwards.

Advertisement