Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

No them suckler bred calved don’t perform good enough and won’t grade as O - or = at 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

1.5 kilos a day from mid may in reality They wouldn’t have been short of meal once they were in shed you’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

There are probably out of 800kg muscley type red lim cows too. Not easily kept. Half the calves are heifers too and those at those weights were the pick of the lot.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I snuck a few out of there all.tge same but nothing like that two friesian bullocks, a potentially O+ Fr heifer and and an plain coloured bull at 1.7/kg average.

Years ago when doing bull beef bought a CH bull in September weighting 340/360kgs he was early April born. He was hung him the following June at 420DW. Or about 730LW. Now he was in 2-3kgs of ration for the winter and finished on grass with ad-lib meal for 6-8 weeks. He was 14 and a half months at slaughter. He was the only bull that ever did that for me.

Ya some are in the rushes for a while but it would not be as long as you think. The whole plan is to allow the finisher to still have them U16 months at slaughter. However at 4/kg I could no see a margin on them with the price I pay for ration and nitrates limits.

Slava Ukrainii

Would those heavier weanling bulls not be going for export? Didn't someone on here say recently. that the finishers on the continent want them heavier now with the higher price of concentrates.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭50HX

Finally something that's not all fur coat no knickers 😁 to look at

Some lovely stock

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I’d say you’d hardly buy any of them for less than €2500 😅😅

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

To be fair if you've a good suckler cull to sell atm either store or beef there worth a fair bit of it. It's the same with weanlings it doesn't take a serious calf to come into €1k plus. Back when an average weanling was €700-€800 and it took a good cull cow to cross €1200 the likes of those outfits were still the guts of €2k. There was genuine nice young outfits in Manorhamilton yesterday with LM calves 2 and 3 months old at €2600-€2900.

I had a guy I sold a bull to last year, ring me yesterday asking if I had any suckler cows to sell. It's all supply and demand, isn't it? They are just scarce at the moment and farmers are realising that good quality weanlings do sell well.

• Advertisement

I expect tglhat most of those cows and heifers will end up hung south or north of the border

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't think so Bass in this instance. There's lots of farmers to buy nice suckler replacement stock but there hard got. It's different with the lower quality cows, a lot of them are bought to split and beef the cow. The outfits in Manorhamilton yesterday were bought by Northern suckler men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

Over 100 springing heifers sold in elphin a few weeks ago, 31 went to wexford. They was type of heifer for every man

Were they the muscle type BB ?

Probably not much been bought for sub €2000 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

Think they averaged around that good with bad.

Problem for men breeding heifers like that, the pool is shrinking and look at the price of maiden heifers .

I have 5 CHX bullocks born in spring 23, which I intend to sell in the next 5 to 6 weeks, I’d say they approx 350 - 380kg at the minute.

I’m just wondering given their weights would they be better off being sold in the weanling ring and announced as bullocks? I’d imagine they would would be a bit light bullock sale ?

I’d normally would have sold them all as bull weanling in the autumn, but just thought I’d try a few with the rings last spring.

Bullock ring, all day long put them all in togeather lads that buy bullocks at that age are not picky about weight to the extent that they will be worried about 50kg between animals or even 70-80. These buyers will take on the dealers around the ring to being home a bunch.

If they are out of a shed and have been doses announce that they were dosed( especially if with an ivermectin product) how long ago.

Of they were vaccinated for IBR or blackleg ( two shots) announce that as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

I’d definitely sell them in the bullock ring anyway.

Thanks for the replies

they are out since yesterday, giving them 2kg a meal a day per head - have them out with heifers as well - just to keep them quiet/settle into their new environment.

I have lot a grass as closed off early last year - perhaps they mightn’t need any meal at grass at all?

You don’t want them fat whatever you do, better off having them with a bit of a hungry look about them imo. Buyers for grass dont like them too well done, money spent on meal mightn’t be profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Would it be different if you were grazing them on yourself? Would you get the benefit if they were fattish going out to grass?

No compensatory growth kicks in if cattle are storing.

As@tanko said you do not want them.fat or hot. If the grass is good they will be doing a kg plus a day easily. Half a kg of ration is plenty to keep them quite. Pull them back to that over a week.

Again announce they are out what will be a month and on a pinch of ration. An ould lad will be delight as he know they are settled outside and if he need to feed them for a few weeks he know they are used to it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Who2

I’ll go against most here and I’d keep throwing them 2 kilo of meal on grass. The meal will keep them warm they won’t be hot on it and no matter what people say a weanling of that age which should be well cleaned up in 6 weeks if they are outside will sell well. I definitely wouldn’t sell them all together unless they are an exceptionally uniform bunch. If they are anyway half decent charolais at that weight you will be looking at 1300 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Saw a few yellow Charolais March born at 350kg sold in weanling bull ring as bullocks make over €1300. Good stock are making good prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Come March, the grass summer feeders would be very eger for them type of cattle, just bring them home & off out to the field with them. I would pair them at least if possible. Now if your local mart was a Saturday or bank holiday Monday then the part time lads will defo be after them.

Cheers for all the replies

i also have 12 CHX heifers born in spring 2023 as well - I’d say their average weight is 350 kg each also average age will be 12 months un March.

would type and weight of heifers be better entered in the weanling heifer or store ring ? Would also plan to sell mid March

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

What's the general feeling when bunching cattle for the mart?

I've a mixture of heifers that I won't finish as silage would get scarce and I need the early grass for maiden FR heifers. They averaging 500kg and have been getting 1.5kg of meal since Christmas. They're decent warm cattle but I just haven't the space to finish them.

So, the plan is to bring them to the mart next week.

Most are different breeds (HE, BB, SP, and AA) so I'll leave them in individually, but there's a few AA that are within 20kg of each other. Would I better to put 2-3 together and leave them into the ring like that? Or does it matter?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bunch similar type cattle. In my opinion it is only breeding stock that should be sold individually. Most people buying cattle for beef, be it weanlings or stores prefer to buy in bunches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Only 20kgs is nothing worth noticing... try to get as much as you can in the bunch.. keep the breeds together if you can especially the black gold.

Advertisement