Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If he bought them for the 7 months job then they'll soon be coming up for resale again. Bar they went to a good place or he treated them well then they'll hardly get much money for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭limo_100

Yeah Il leave them until then they are on ab lib creep at the moment don't know if I will be able to keep up that when I shed them but we will see 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭older by the day

True but the part time/retired farmer will pay for animals in April.

That was exceptional. Outlying adds 100 euro to them.

But the heifers were the same weight and made seven.

So ain't a farmer entitled to make a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Every lad is right to get as much as possible for his stock and if a man is happy to pay over the odd that's his problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

stop the ad-lib. if grass is good quality 1-2 kgs of ration in a trough. The questionis do you squeeze the bulls or not while bulls will be heavier next spring it limits buyers. Lads buying perfer bullocks and with no horns. id your silage is 70+dmd and above 30%DM 1-2 kgs is enough inside as well. If its above 75DMD and good DM I not sure if I personally would bother with feeding ration. Very hot cattle are being discounted in the spring time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Due to construction reasons I can't shed until mid dec so I will continue the ad lib until then they seem to be really laying it down now lately. Also due to order reasons I Was unable to start creeping the calves until sept so that's why I didn't get them sold before now, will be better prepared from next year.

I'll keep them as bulls and hope the exporters will be still buying weanlings. I have some hay to feed them and some arable silage ( peas and barley) once they get settled in and weaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They will probably be too heavy to export to the high value markets. They may be too old to fatten for the U16 month market and them fat soft bulls shrink when squeezed. I buy a few of them and even this year was able to buy them at 2-2.3/ kg.

As well the demand is for grass cattle not heavy bulls that will shrink when squeezed. If you leave as bulls and continue to ad-lib the sell in December/ January, maybe February after that unless there is export demand you will be losing money.

What weight and age are they now. Are they eating 3+kgs/ head/ day?

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Who2

Weanlings are back a bit alright, last year I held some back and moved them from February on. They got a good do over the winter on whole crop and meal. (Suckler bred) I sold them from 10-13 months old between 1500- 1960 euro, so I was happy enough. I’ve a batch of April calves just gone into the shed and I’ll be selling them in mid February unless I get a good offer in the shed.

Fair play that's a good price for them calves. What weight did you get them into? the best of mine are now between 300-350 have smaller ones near 250 so hoping to add 100kg between now and April maybe more we see how they do.

I had them from 440-590 kg. If they are half decent suckler bred stock it pays to feed. This years bunch will get 2.5kg meal and ad-lib whole crop peas, oats and barley silage for the next while and I’ll reassess at Christmas. These are averaging 330kg now.

• Advertisement

Jesus that’s big weights they will be going on to be killed as young bulls at them weights. You must be getting 1.5-2kg daily weight gain on some of your better calfs so are you?? Bulls can really lay it down when they get going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Exactly my thinking. All the heavy lifting is done on them

I wasn’t quality assured I would have been messing around bringing ones and twos and just hadn’t the time due to other commitments .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

A couple of years back myself and a neighbour were locked with TB this time of year and had to carry the weanlings till the spring till we got clear, we both fed them well for the winter and early spring and sold March, ours were heavier that the neighbours born two months earlier both of us had top Charolais bred stock and when we both sold we got great prices with a lot going for shipping. When we done our sum’s we had the dung and the work left extra from what we would have got in the autumn after expenses,

These are the best if the bulls I'm feeding and will keep them over the winter. They are only getting creep since early sept.

This lad of off CH4320 and SIxFR dam. was 260kg at the end of August.

This lad was 235kg at the end of August. He's off the bull Omega and a Fifty cent dam. Looks abit bellish in that photo but must be my poor camera skills.

What do you think I should do with them squeeze them or keep as bulls. Keeping them as bulls would be my preference and sell in Mar/April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭50HX

Squeeze & good silage only, sell off of grass next summer.

Bull market is v unpredictable & they'd want to be alot heavier assuming march/April d.o.b for that market.

Nice coats on them will they be out wintered?

They will be out until mid December and then they will be shed (kinda) have a new tank but no roof so they will be out wintered. They are on ad-lib meal at the moment won't take them off that until they are in as they should be in only for winter accommodation now being ready on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mr..

If you wanted you could leave some as bulls and leave them ad lib meal and sell at around a year old, squeeze the rest and give them some meal @limo_100

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭148multi

Fifty cent tended to bring them a rib short with gut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

Have one cow and one calf and they are nice stock but would say he breeds bait plain if anything but still nice female stock.

Can't get this photo the right way round. but this is a fifty cent heifer born mid April and weighted almost 200kg in august

Wonder how many Kg's they would eat ad-lib a day would they put away 10kg a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,210 ✭✭✭tanko

True, he works best on smaller well muscled cows i find. Earp is a super bull but would be a bit harder calved.

I wouldn’t agree with ad lib on young animals like that over the winter. 4-6 kg and good silage should see them well on for the final few months where they can go onto ad lib then..

I have used him have a few of them as cows. I used lynx this year so hopefully he turns out ok seems to be doing his stuff anyway.

I will be getting the silage tested so will know how much to give them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

I put in my cows and bull calves two weeks ago and have the calves going back onto a creep with access to ad lib meal and hay, Will be moving them in the middle of December for the export market, born end of march/ April weighed last week heaviest was 356kgs back to 3 heifers claves around 260kgs, Hope to get them to average 350kgs before the go. If i was keeping them any longer I wouldn't have them ad lib.

That's good seems like a good set up. how many Kg's on average are they putting away a day?

Will them heifers make the 350Kg by dec? seems bit to far behind are they.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Barron lad

I couldn't really tell you how much they are eating, Just throw in another bucket whenever it seems to be getting low, they are all bulls just 3 of them are out of first calved heifers. they wont make 350kgs but its the average i'm working off over the lot, so that should be achievable.

Advertisement