Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice?

Options
  • 04-02-2024 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

We've seen many fires now of potential new migrant centres around the country and yet not one single arrest yet.

Threadbans:

Abozzz

Would you like to see the perpetrators of the recent arson attacks brought to justice? 527 votes

Yes, this is unacceptable and we need to take our share of refugees
    54% 287 votes
    Yes, I support the protests but arson takes it too far
    23% 125 votes
    No, I'd rather not see any arrests
    21% 115 votes
    Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yes. Crime is crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭gifted

Yep, crime is crime but the government should be getting the message by now. The people have had enough. It's only a matter of time before someone loses a life in these fires.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They should be hung by the balls in my considered opinion

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Are you suggesting that the people who set fire to buildings should be allowed to continue unhindered and unpunished?

Only a matter of time before one of these buildings isn't as empty as they think and potentially someone squatting, sleeping rough or just in the wrong place at the wrong time is injured or killed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

The cost of vandalism ultimately hits the majority of us.

I honestly don't know if these buildings where privately owned or government owned.

Either way insurance will be claimed....there's our premiums increasing.

Guaranteed there will also be taxpayers money spent on clean up/rebuild too.

The cost of the fire brigade.....doubt you'd be too happy if those resources were busy, while your own house is burning, or a car crash etc.

There's also the waste of destroying a perfectly good building....which will now be rebuilt (eventually I presume) , at the moment building materials cost are at an all time high.....an extra increase in demand is not helpful.

So yeah it would be nice to see people held accountable for the absolute waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leo has insisted that Ireland was not a racist country or that the political climate had changed in response to the arrival of more than 100,000 refugees fleeing war-torn Ukraine, though he did accept there is “rising concern” about migration in the country.

“Some of that is understandable and legitimate concerns. That shouldn’t be dismissed,”

that’s a laughable statement really..from the outset Leo has been completely and 100% dismissive of any and all concerns…

A government report in ‘23 showed 76 % of people who migrated to Ireland in ‘22 did not register their asylum application at a port or an airport.

yet… Leo subsequently stated that it was a myth that Ireland had open borders and no immigration controls… 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

so when you have a politician coming out with that, it’s simply stoking the flames so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Let's pretend that the poll is a jury.

Bricks and mortar have a value but does the fabric of the community?

Some would argue the government are setting fire to this fabric

• Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Odd poll

Where is the:

I have some concerns but arson is a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Odd response to a poll when I clearly put this as the middle option

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No it's not a real choice which I suspect you know ... Support the protests is another thing entirely .

Arson is a crime and should be punishable as a crime , nothing to do with whether you support a protest , think that we should accept our ' share of refugees ' , or not .

In fact putting that in as the first option is a classic bias in a poll.

Should have another option ○" yes think it's unacceptable regardless of opinion re refugees" , to be fair and accurate .

People need to be held accountable for setting fire. I totally support peaceful protest, but fire is a killer, it’s fairly inevitable that somebody will actually get killed. It’s a bit strange that there are no arrests YET. Are there not CVTV cameras at these places with remote viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭LubaDriver

Doesn't matter, I highly doubt that there will be arrests let alone convictions. Arson is near impossible to prove.

Carrys a max sentence of life so anyone that is convicted is facing a stretch instead.

Interesting poll results Vs the comments on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Yes, I would. But for none of the reasons that you put in your poll replies after “Yes”, so I won’t tick any of the boxes.

My answer is “Yes, because I would like to see what is ultimately behind the so far obvious no-arrests policy as currently in play”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,310 ✭✭✭✭noodler

You can have reservations about the States capacity without joining protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Leo said there would be arrests for the previous fires but it turned out that him and the guards were lying about that. They really need to stop that nonsense and just focus on the investigations.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sounds like a trite attempt at justifying arson.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nachouser

They should be made to mine moon rocks on the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I agree 100%. Also, it’s only a matter of time before someone who verifiably shouldn’t be here, does something dangerous like attacking kids and adults outside a school with a knife and, get charged with attempted murder….ohhhh, wait… 🫥 might only be a matter of time before somebody or some people end up with something more serious than a hospital stay…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

When I read the OP I thought this would surely be locked and deleted in no time. Oh the irony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Such fires also create more discontent and endanger lives. Also there's a fair argument that it's an act of terrorism. Instead of saying "some would argue", why not actually tell us what you think...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

theres so many people getting away with various crimes ie Burglaries, drug dealing , drug debt intimidation etc etc it’s hard to decide which is worst !

Our prisons are full anyways so there’s no room for anyone unless you murder someone !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

This is total lunacy.

Ignoring the lawto cause harm tp people and property isnt acceptable in a democracy.

How can stuff like this be poted?

Methinks there is a very good chance that any migrants being accommodated are a greater asset to the country than the thugs who have no respect for law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Mods are posting on thread

I’m envious of your bank holiday nonetheless

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dangerous route to achieving a goal. I don't like it at all but I can see why the people of those localities are doing it.

Government need to be more open with communities, explain who is coming, what is being put in place in terms of services and support and try to move forward that way.

As it stands, it appears the only way communities know there are people coming is when they see action at a run down property. This unknown only increases the fear in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

In my mind, it's simple. We can't pick and choose which laws we want to follow.

Have an issue with government decisions, vote for another party. Contact your local td. Run for election.

We need laws abide by. If you don't follow them, there should be consequences

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

We might as well pull down the shutters on this site if we allow equivocation concerning such a serious crime as arson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭Shoog

Knowing how the Garda have agents in all politically active groupings it's inconceivable that they don't have a very good idea who the perpetrators were all along. It's served someone politically to let this carry on and now it's got out of hand so they are rushing to try to stamp it out. It's a bit late for that as copy cat right wing thugs will think they can get away with it now.

Advertisement