Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

See your using the beep beep numbers to say hey look at the wonderful sales figures, I'm saying that's kinda misinformation as the business sales are not known, we know from the uk it's 1 consumer sale for every 16 business sales. You can argue that's not happening here but without any data to back it up it's only an assumption. Consumer sales could have actually declined in 2023 here.

Not only will you see a cliff edge in 2026 if nothing is done, you'll see a lot of them dumped back onto the consumer market, which may be a good thing for adoption if people actually buy them, they may still be happey enough in their ICE.

There's calls in the UK now to half the vat on new sales to help things along, https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/05/electric-car-sales-in-uk-flatline-prompting-calls-for-vat-cut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭fits

Disappointing numbers to be honest. I think we are in an adjustment period between early adopters and mass market uptake. Price changes probably increasing uncertainty too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's the only info we have, you're using a gut feeling to say the sky is falling. Do you have any evidence to show that consumer sales have declined?

I can't speak for typical but know plenty who have long journeys, a dublin based rep might clock up 700km in a day. 400km in a day does me for most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

The MYs due in Feb would have already been in transit when the 0% was announced. So there may not be enough in the shipment to meet any increased demand. Although from the way EVs as an overall percentage of sales are static, and the decrease in petrol/diesel has been picked up by 'hybrids', I don't think any change in EV financing APRs will result in a significant increase in sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Any reason BMW i4 sales dropped 86%? Issues with deliveries seems the most likely.

Worth noting that for some reason all Toyota PHEVs get reported as regular hybrids. In 2022 it was discernable on stats as they used to publish the CO2 band of each car and half of all Rav4s were the Prime model.

Assuming that trend remained unchanged, that along with the Prius means there were an additional 600 PHEVs sold.

Wow there's glaring issues here, most of Renault's hybrid car sales have been misreported as petrols.

I'm not saying the sky is falling but from experience when you put in an incentive sales go up, take it away and sales go down. This has played out in other countries. The bik incentive is huge here and the closer we get to 2026 there's less of an incentive for a business to buy one. We've also had consumer incentives last year boosting sales.

I'm not wishing for this to happen but the government need a 5yr or more plan so people know what they're getting into. No incentive and no certainty isn't a good mix.

I don't think there was many for sale new, I enquired some time last year and was told I could have the one in the forecourt or there's 2 more due in but that's it for the year. Not sure if it was a sales tactic.

They should be a good seller so I'm inclined to believe the sales guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

They are all far too expensive for what they are: an ICE car that had EV bits shoved in. Don't get me wrong, I like them. I would have quite possibly bought one myself (this time last year) had they made the entry level under €60k on the road, so the €5k subsidy would have gone off that too

This applies to the i5 too, the cheapest Paddy spec version is €90k which is insane. Not that long ago you could get an entry level 5-series for half that. A stinky rattly diesel, but still.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

With the current data available to us it's unknowable what the impact of BIK changes could be until 2026. We've two more budgets to get through before then and will likely have a new government. We should see more models available by then, and battery prices appear to be heading down rather than up.

Cost parity was predicted by 2025 and we seem to be on track for that. I think it's a little early to presume that all EVs are company purchases instead of private ones, and even if it is the case, it's still seeding the 2nd hand market where the majority of car buyers make their purchases.

I don't particularly care who is buying the cars on our streets, I only care that they are not polluting them and that we keep the money used for energy imports in our local economy instead.

I think focussing on cost parity is irrelevant and nothing but a distraction. It's total cost of ownership that matters and new EVs are already far cheaper than equivalent ICE in many cases, even if you remove the EV grant. Unless you do way below average annual mileage.

I'm not saying it's all business buying them, I'd say they're representing maybe 20 or 30% of new EV sales. I'd just like to see the breakdown over time.

With all that's going on in the country we're seeing more pollution and not less, we've still to add another 1 million to the population over the next 10yrs or so, the environmental impact doesn't bother me as no matter what I do it'll have little or no consequence in the short to medium term due to government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

All totally anecdotal but I’ve spotted plenty of 241s on the roads around my neck of the woods in suburban Dublin.

Majority of new motors in my estate over the last couple of years have been electric, ranging from MG4 to big eTron and plenty in between. Surprisingly no new Teslas or VWs though.

My parents live 5 mins away and you can’t move on their road without bumping into an ID.3/4/5/Enyaq, and their newest neighbours have two Teslas.

It’s turned to EV quite quickly, I didn’t think they would catch on so rapidly a couple years ago when I got my first one.

Big City versus Country division there. Think I've the only phev on the road and no EV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Some interesting stats there:

• Toyota's marketing department deserve their pay packets for seemingly convincing everyone that their petrol cars are EV "self-charging hybrids"
    • BYD have had a strong start, beating the likes of MG and Cupra despite all of their pre-orders not even being filled yet. Seal outsold both BMW's 3 and 5 series. Let's see if it keeps up.
    • Tesla did surprisingly poorly, people waiting for the Highland M3? Or the Irish public put off by the excess minimalism? The sudden 0% APR offer now makes a lot more sense.
    • Mercedes failed to sell an single EQC. A car they would expect to sell a reasonable amount of. Oh dear 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Yeah, was always likely to be the case until more options became available.

I always judge attitudes to change based on how few or many Toyotas are around an area. When the Toyota crowd buy in to EVs then it’s sorted. A lot of them around here have migrated to Kia and Hyundai EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭sk8board

so EV market share was actually down a little year on year?

that includes 66 Tesla V 1 last year, includes all the new models such as BYD too.

includes all the Jan company cars.

EVs are generally cheaper versus last year

skin it whatever way you want lads, I’m all for EVs but that’s pretty poor; awful really.

anecdotally we’ve all heard about EVs being a harder sell recently, and that’s now a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭djan

EV become problematic in business travel which requires high speed motorways. On those even the long rave EVs will struggle with 350km which is easily done in a day. The downtime associated with charging which at fast chargers is often more expensive than diesel can be costly. Furthermore, diesel is the only one which can be written off...

• Advertisement

@mailforkev - "It’s turned to EV quite quickly, I didn’t think they would catch on so rapidly a couple years ago when I got my first one."

It's natural in the S curve that comes with disruptive technology. Once you see momentum building up (like yourself and myself seeing mostly fully BEV new cars directly where we live), the full swing comes very quickly. Depending on the technology and how disrupting it is, it's usually a matter of just a few years

Here are some historic ones:

I never realised that the TV back 75 years ago had an even steeper slope than the mobile phone 😂

Great graph but I don't think we can compare EVs to other electronic consumables. The main difference is that vehicles have for a long time been a significant source of revenue due to additional taxation such as VRT, fuel tax, road tax, insurance levies and tolls. It is quite likely that as EVs become more prevalent, the cost of using them will climb also to make up for lost revenue from ICE. This could then lead to a slowdown of adoption.

The often bandied around targets of no ICE past 20xx can very easily be pushed back or straight up ignored by countries so it's not definite we are moving in one way.

January '24 EV share is 17.06%, January '23 EV share is 15.68%

What's with the gleeful mis representing of numbers, as I state every time numbers are published what matters are the plate to plate numbers. It's only a drop if 241 plates have a lower percentage than 231.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I was at my AGM last night for my property development on zoom and we are getting EV chargers installed, they enquired about how many people had an EV already and about 8 out of 30 attendees had them, I think all the EV owners turned up and its more like 8 out of 100 have EVs, including 1 owner who said he had an EV but wont need to use the new chargers as his is "self charging":)

Is the Jan 2024 EV share not 13%, versus 13.4% in Jan 2023?

so there’s more EVs sold in absolute numbers, but of the people who bought a new car, a lower % of them went electric. Market share is the only true way to measure the adoption curve

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

This is more of an Irish problem due to the poor charging infrastructure here than an EV problem per se. But until it's addressed and the public perception changed, we can't expect a significant ownership shift to EVs.

As regards an earlier post about poor Tesla sales, that's mainly due to keeping minimal stock in Ireland and it being delivered periodically (quarterly) from China. Tesla not alone afaik with not having supply in January. February figures will rectify that anomaly.

Not necessarily. Having to stop to charge after less than 3 hours of motorway driving is a problem regardless of charger density and that's assuming this is a standard long range passenger car. Looking at vans, the range is abysmal in these conditions.

There are numerous advantages, especially in last mile logistics but for a substantial amount of business use cases it will just bring more problems/costs than savings.

EVs only, year on year for January .

by model and by manufacturer

Very strong start for VW (versus last year - those cheaper ID4s are selling) - and overall themselves and Hyundai both had identical total sales in January (707).

EV6 and Ioniq 5 the big fallers, and as usual Tesla don’t deliver in January.

BYD did fantastic, considering the Seal only launched officially a few days ago. That’s without doubt the one to watch this year imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

I don't think anybody is "gleefully" misrepresenting the numbers.

EV Sales are stagnant. Toyota are laughing all the way to the bank with their "self charging" electric cars.

It's going to take more incentives / tax deviations to get people to switch.

So what does one do?

Buy an EV now or wait until more subsidies come along?

Advertisement