Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Risoc

Surprised that map doesn't seem to plan for Mallow to Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I'm aware of several other Greenway projects that were not included in that map - not sure what the criteria is to be part of the National Cycle Network.

Or it could well be someone messed up the press release and simply forgot to include certain projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Caquas

This probably deserves a separate thread. It is much bigger than the greenways.

The proposed National Cycle Network would extend to about 3,500km. Only about a quarter of this (some 900km) is currently included in the Greenways Programme. Of this 900Km, about 400km is currently existing greenways/ other cycleways infrastructure.

The NCN aligns with the NTA’s CycleConnects programme of urban and county-level cycle networks, as well as other cycle routes and networks in various stages of development. These include the EuroVelo routes, greenways, and the Strategic Plan for Greenways in Northern Ireland.

It would be a massive upgrade on our current cycling infrastructure, especially for travel between cities/towns. The map is deliberately vague - the thick lines on the map are because the corridors are

four kilometres in width and provide an indicative alignment for the development of future routes. For each corridor, further work will be required to identify and assess specific options to determine a preferred route.

So the hard work of defining these "corridors" (i.e. routes) remains to be done. And most of the network won't be delivered until 2031-40. Still, it would be important to have a plan that has Government approval. Or is this just Eamon Ryan's wishlist? What odds on the Greens in Government after the next election? I think the network includes every constituency, plus a few cross-border.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭loco_scolo

1107 page report!!! How much time was spent doing that?!!

They also miss the Collooney-Castlebar Greenway... so much for all that time!!

It's great though. Let's hope it gets done sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Westport - Achill, Navan - Kingscourt, the one heading north from Limerick and Conemara Greenway not shown either.

It's pointless producing a map like this, they'd be better off producing and keeping up-to-date a map of the existing network would be more useful. The NCN concept seems pointless too, why not just keep funding projects in the current fashion? Like could Claremorris - Collooney miss out on construction funding with funds going to feasibility studies on some of the aspirational stuff in the NCN which doesn't have a natural route and is years away from construction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

that's crazy talk, what's the point of the civil service and the consultancy sector if they're not producing 1000 page reports?

(the missing greenways are shown on page 32 of the big report).

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Grey123

Perhaps I'm cynical about all this but it feels like an exercise in getting the most km built for the money spent. Or else being drawn up by people who don't understand cycling.

The national network seems to reflect a road network where they think someone might cycle from Kilkenny to Limerick via Thurles. How many would ever do that?

I'm not against towns being linked obviously but the focus should be improving the infrastructure within cities and towns first. It still seems very poor but it's where you have to spend a lot of money on junction design and make difficult decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Westernview

I don't understand the whole NCN announcement. Was this always in the pipeline or did it become a more recent idea?

We already have detailed maps of proposed/planned cycle tracks for most counties.

Mayo for example

Does the NCN tie in with those plans or supercede them? Maybe it's to do with prioritising funding to links between main towns first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm assuming it is about securing funding for the short to medium terms

It seems to be but a lot of other routes have been in planning and negotiations with landowners. Will this mean that these are just dropped now in favour of the new plan?

• Advertisement

NCN document seems to state it includes many existing and in progress Greenway routes (i.e. if they lie on an inter-urban NCN corridor, there is no duplication)

As for some like Westport-achill not being included, one of criteria for NCN primary/secondary nodes is population centers. >10k for secondary, >20k for primary, with some exceptions for sparsely populated areas.

Think of NCN as the master plan for cycling in the country - it includes most Greenway projects as a subset but also adds loads of new routes not covered by any existing Greenway plan or project.

€1.4-1.9bn to deliver the whole Network

Approx 60m per annum for both Greenway programme and any extra rural NCN portions. Urban parts are funded by the NTA, cost not specified.

Appendix E has route options and benefit analysis for each option too, worth looking at for anyone not bothered to skim through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That was pretty much the basis of one submission: "What are you actually doing here, are you superseding plans or will other plans supersede this. Are you keeping this as an organic and constantly-updated network map or a one-off?"

There's variations now between local urban network plans, completed schemes, part 8 plans, section 38 plans, bus connects plans and now this National Cycle Network. It's getting out of hand, and one needs to be a "master" plan. Unfortunately this is just another set of plans on top of 4 or 5 others. I can't imagine the roads network being progressed in this manned, in 2024.

I'm not convinced of the need for a master plan, tbh. We already have a huge pipeline of projects, why not just develop out that and add to it as projects drop off through completion? TII are directly looking after some large scale long distance greenways, Local Authorities and taking care of everything else. The various project stages are clearly set out and what is required at each, there are project management guidelines in place. We are currently delivering a lot of km of Greenway, generally to a very high standard and the system for the most part seems to be working well. Not sure what a additional level of bureaucracy adds, apart from getting referred to in footnotes in reports.

Well I'm OK with that too, just that we now have at least three different master plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

That's exactly it yep!

I don't mind them doing yet another master plan but it'd be good if they could at least talk about the pervious ones and whether this supersedes them!

Now we have loads of plans that contradict each other, and when planning applications go in on stretches of road, we have no idea whether they're compliant or not. Developers can't be criticized for lack of adherence to a master plan at this stage, so we'll end up with all sorts of weird and wonderful designs with 2-way, then 1-way, then shared space, then footpath, then no segregation etc.

It's incredibly confusing in my opinion. I haven't read the NCN plan in detail but the main point I am taking from it is that it is priorisiting cycle routes where there is a certain population density for the purposes of decarbonising. That makes total sense in itself if they stick to that but accommodating things such as exceptions for greenways in sparsely populated areas just makes it wishy-washy. Local TDs will just push to have their exceptions included and in the end loads of these routes will be included and priorities will again be undermined.

If the NCN is the up to date plan of action used for prioritising funding for linking towns greater than 5k population then they should just stick to it. But if it allows for lots of other less populated routes adding to the mix then there was little point in bringing it out. And theres no point in any further plans unless it nails down priorities.

Well there are always going to be some variation, for example shared spaces will be used where there isn't space to have separate cycle lanes and footpaths. This is particularly going to be the case in urban areas. Kildare Co Co yesterday opened consultation on Proposed Sallins Grand Canal Greenway Link Part 8 - it has a ramp which requires cyclists to dismount. I don't think there is an expectation anywhere that every metre of Greenway will be 100% the same.

Also worth noting that Part 8s and Section 38s are not different master plans, almost everything is going to have to go through the planning system regardless. BusConnects is also different, it is a project and the intention is to build out the infrastructure under that project.

Yep I think you're missing my point perhaps: we currently see Section 38's and Part 8's going in which ignore the local area plan (and sometimes ignore each other) and they deviate from Bus Connects plans and now they'll deviate from the new NCN and all deviate from what has actually been built on the ground.

Maybe a specific example would be helpful to articulate what I'm describing:

I currently have seen a shared greenway, 2-way cycleway and 1-way cycleway (either side) planned on the section of road outside my house, all approved for construction in the next few months. None of them listed in the local area masterplan. And I have no idea which will end up built. These respectively progressed under bus connects, a section 38 and a part 8.

• Advertisement

The NCN and LAPs don't go to that level of detail, whatever they should will be indicative only. The detailed design will almost always differ from high level plans if you look close enough.

I can't comment on the road outside your house but it is possible that plans supercede others.

Consultation on the Boyne Greenway, Navan to Oldbridge Emerging Preferred Route;

Inland Greenways are at a natural disadvantage to their coastal cousins but I think this has the potential to be something special. It passes through some beautiful countryside and has a huge amount of history and heritage along with way.

I can only assume the Emerging Preferred Route assessment was done prior to the states purchase of Dowth Hall as it would be criminal not to incorporate the Greenway into those lands. The Greenway would have to cross to the other side of the Boyne north of the Brú na Bóinne Visitor Centre to get to the Dowth Hall lands. It would again have to cross the river to get to the Oldbridge Estate but really, a bridge is going to have to be provide to link together the two 500+acre state landholdings on either side of the Boyne.

Ideally, instead of a new pedestrian/cycle bridge beside Broadboyne Bridge, a new road bridge (if even just one lane wide and traffic lights) could be built and the Greenway go across Broadboyne Bridge.

Something major is going to have to be done with the northern part of the L16014 if the Greenway is to the existing boardwalk. The L16014 really should be made one way for cars between the junction with the L16012 and the entrance to Oldbridge. The entrance to Oldbridge needs to be completely redesigned and the short bridge over the canal replaced. The L16014 needs to be widened from the entrance to Oldbridge to the Boyne and a new bridge for cars alongside Obelisk Bridge is required.

The LA cycle plan goes into absolute minute detail, including explicit rationale behind decisions made on detailed design. It's the Cork Cycle Network Plan 2017. It's a very good document. It is absolutely not indicative only. We then got CMATS which deviated a bit from that on routing.

The section 38, part 8 and bus connects all have detailed design and all deviate from the CCNP 2017. Now we have a new NCN plan that deviates on routing (not detailed design) from the LA cycle network, CMATS, the Section 38's, the Part 8 and Bus Connects.

At this stage I'm not sure whether you're deliberately misunderstanding what I'm saying but: I do think that a master plan is warranted, just that this appears to be "yet another master plan" where we already had at least one other reasonably good one.

Buffalo's post above pretty exactly captures my point, basically. If you're going to make another master plan, at least pay some reference to the others: whether you're superseding them or taking priority. Better still, just leave plank pages for places like the Cork harbour, where very good plans already exist.

Post edited by hans aus dtschl on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There is an election coming up so every half arsed plan will be put forward. Most will never happen. A lot will be along country roads with a possible speed limit of 50km/hr put on the road for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

My understanding regarding the NCN vs CycleConnects vs whatever else already existed.

Consider the NCN as the N roads, the job being to connect all the most significant settlements at a national level

Cycleconnects is per county and more granular, its your R and L road network, connecting settlements within the county.

The NCN isn't a design document, I see it as basically a "scheme priority indicator" aka if you plan these key routes you're more likely to get funding.

That's fine if it that turns out to be the case but with all the other cycle tracks, greenways etc. planned or in progress it will mean a big shift in priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Which *IMO* would be a good thing, there's some cracking greenways already and more to come, but if you're not linking up the population centres safely you're doing nothing for modal shift.

The most critical work to do is town centres to suburbs, but then it's true interurbans. And those going through each 5k centre, and in the process passing close to a number of smaller centres means you suddenly have places that are a 15/20 minute cycle (for the 1% brave enough currently) opening up to a whole host of new people who would otherwise have been in the car to get there.

A good example is Naas to Newbridge, its only 10 minutes longer by bike than by car centre to centre, and you'd lose that easily in Newbridge traffic and finding parking. I'm not saying it would suit everyone to do, but how many that might do you think would even remotely consider braving the dual carriageway as it stands?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Risoc

Waterford Greenway question.

Can I rent a bike at Bilberry Car Park (I think this is the last stop) on Sunday morning and return it to Dungarvan a few hours later. Just on Google Maps right now and I can't see a bike rental spot at Bilberry.

Do you mean Kilmacthomas? There's a bike rental at the Coach House that you can return to Dungarvan I believe. With an associated mini bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

The greenway was extended from Bilberry to the Quay in the city last year - there are multiple places to rent there but I'd recommend waterfordgreenwaybikehire.com. Can return bike to their depot in Dungarvan no problem, and get the bus back to Waterford if needed.

Advertisement