Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

What's the difference between your daily weigh in and a 'proper weigh in'? I'm now picturing the below

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I think the daily weigh ins are giving me a false narrative, one day I was down 3lbs so I took the foot off the pedal a bit where if it was weekly I'd never know if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Daily weigh ins are not a bad thing but something to be cautious with. It helps to do the weigh ins at exactly the same time every day (like directly after a morning poo). But even then remember that many things can cause variance.

Some foods move through you slower than others for example. So on Monday your gut might be relatively empty and you seem to have lost weight - but on Tuesday the opposite so you think you have gained. In fact you can measure your "gut motility" and see if it's in the norms. There are recipes online for this where it will turn your poo blue. So you eat the recipe and then see how long it takes to come out blue.

The same is true with water retention. Your body can gain or lose water differently each day. So daily weight will always yo yo to some degree because you are more water heavy today than the day before.

Too much data is never a bad thing. So measure daily if you like. But do not put too much negative - or even positive - emotion into any drop or rise day to day. It's the change over longer periods of time you should look at.

Also remember you can lose fat but gain muscle. So you can weigh the same today as you do in 6 months but look a hell of a lot leaner and better. But the weighing scales will not see anything different. Keeping a measurement of other things like your resting heart rate, the circumference of your thighs, and belly around the belly button, can also be useful. You might weight the same in 6 months as you do today, but all those other statistics will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I saw someone saying recently that you should weigh every day & take an average over the week & that will give you a better idea of where you are. And as per @taxAHcruel above, it helps to minimise the emotive side of the scales. That said, I'm trying to avoid the scales because, in the past, I've definitely given too much value to the scale result & let it dictate my self worth. I'm afraid to start the cycle again.

^ My sister got very emotive about the day to day weigh ins too. Putting too much positive or negative feeling into a daily rise or fall. In the end what she did was to stand on the scale and have someone else (her daughter) note the result in a spread sheet. So she did not know the changes day to day. But EXCEL would give her a graph over time which she would look at once a month.

And her monthly trend was down - so she now had a monthly positive with none of the daily negative emotional hits on the "bad" days. She had a graph over time that was showing she was on the right path for her.

• Advertisement

I take a daily weigh in to provide a weekly average, as from my google sheets posted here a few years ago set out.

Back weekend for me food wise, I went camping, it was freezing, I ate loads.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Shite week for me last week too.... having a newborn people are gifting us food and takeaway vouchers and I am weak.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You've just had a baby a couple of weeks ago, don't be pressuring yourself to ping back into shape too soon. 😁

Ditto, ate like a horse and though not the weigh in day I am way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I managed to lose over a stone last year and keep it off but then I completely plateaued. I’m stuck in this maintenance state since August, I put on a few pound over Christmas and it literally will not shift now regardless of effort ahhh😩

Anyone manage to push past the plateau stage it’s so disheartening?

• Advertisement

I am mostly maintaining my ideal weight these days. But to get there I did pass through a few plateaus for sure. It was a bit of a slog over the years.

Generally I got over the plateaus by combining 1 or more techniques. Which worked for me but that of course never means it will work for someone else.

The first was to design a few low calorie, good fiber, high nutrient smoothies.

The second was to only eat when I actually wanted to eat. Not when the "normal" timetable made me do it. Tradition has us eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a supper. We do it because the time of day tells us we should. But I switched to skipping those meals when the time came unless I actually felt I wanted it.

The third was time fasting. So I would eat only between 12midday and 8pm.

A fourth was to have a boiled egg and a water about 45 minutes before the biggest meal of the day. Which sometimes meant I did not even want that meal. But it usually meant I did not eat nearly as much as I normally would because eggs and water are appetite suppressants.

And the fifth was isolation diets where I would entirely cut out some food groups. Normally (but not always) this would be the carnivore diet for me so I Would basically only have meat or eggs for the most part. Usually one piece of fresh fruit and one Fiber thing (mostly carrot or celery sticks with a bit of cream cheese) for a few weeks.

Generally those things helped me push through any plateau. And I still do some or all of them at different times now to help maintain. On a bit of a carnivore and smoothie kick this January. Nice Steak with runny fried (actually air fried) eggs on top for breakfast today. I will have a ChatGPT designed smoothie for a late lunch. And Dinner I might take it or leave it but will probably be a basket of air fried prawns with garlic butter and spring onions today. A few celery sticks already lying around for when I get peckish. Last night I had crispy roast duck and spring onions and cucumber sticks in lettuce leaf wraps with a touch of hoisin. Tomorrow I think I am likely to decimate a scary quantity of homemade ribs. Been craving more ribs ever since a recent trip to Bavaria where I had an enormous rack of horse ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,152 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had to undergo a mini medical yesterday for work life insurance, even allowing for wearing my normal work clothes for the weighing I was staggered to see I'm just 1lb away from going into the next stone on then scales having done the same thing about 18 months ago... I worked hard to get in shape back in 2016 & more or less maintain it for 6 years, need top get serious & nip the slide or I'll be back at 15 stone before I know it!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It really is a lifelong thing. For me the maintenance is the hardest thing, I’ve lost weight so many times and then let it creep back up. I’ve a milestone birthday in a couple of months and ideally I’d like to lose about 8kg or so by then.

I went from just over 15 stone down to 11 & a half stone back in 2016, maintained that for over 6 years but let it creep up to 12 stone a year ago, hadn't weighed myself in ages but noticed my slim fit clothes getting tight (& in some cases too tight to close) so took a look to gauge the damage & was shocked when closer to 13 than 12 stone... I know my work has totally upset my life balance in the last 18 months though and I've been snacking more and eating meals much later than I should for example due to long hours at my desk or on site, so need to address the eating side of things or exercise will be futile.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

tax this is probably random but did you do a money diary for the journal before? Your diet is v.similar to one I read recently.

Not me. I only write on here :) But I tend to use old school basics rather than more modern things. So anything I would use myself is probably very common among all kinds of diets, diet plans, and so forth. I read it all - try it all - and just take out the little bits here and there that work for me.

My usual diet when I am not doing anything special - is to eat pretty much anything I want but in as much variety as possible. And I let my body work it out from there. So if I eat something today I try not to eat that same something again for as long as possible. Of all the diets and healthy eating things I have tried (and I've really tried them all) this is the one thats left me feeling healthiest, fastest, strongest, and with best concentration levels and sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm going to slimming world tomorrow. I haven't been in about 7 years but I'm undoubtedly at my heaviest. I'm around 12 stone and I'm aiming to get to 11 and then hopefully once I get there I'll reassess and go for a bit more. I'd previously gotten down to just under 9 stone and I looked great but I was in my early 20's and I don't see that being realistic in my 30's.

I think a lot of peoples concerns about any of the slimming groups are valid but I'm unhappy in my skin and I know if I stick to it it'll work. I don't have the discipline to stick to a plan on my own so the accountability will keep me in line.

I always found discipline a lot easier when I build a "Do" diet rather than a "Don't" diet. If I tell myself I can not have this - can not have that - it fails a lot more often than if I build a list saying "These are the things I can / will eat now". It's a tiny shift mentally but I have always found it had dramatic effects on my personal discipline.

I was a gooey ball of couch-stationary rotundness in my 20s. Never want to get myself back to that whatever it takes.

Yoyo week due to very long hours in work and other factors. Trying to get to the gym each weekday morning for 30 mins weights, which Im keeping too.

Cant run as my knee is banjoed so its the good old, cant out train a bad diet.

Week 0: 96.2kg (212lbs)

Week 1: 93.9kg (-2.3kg / 5lbs)

Week 2: 94.2kg (+0.3kg/0.66kg)

Forget the gym I just spent a hour chasinG my 2 year old around a soft play arena. It’s the new workout.

• Advertisement

Considering getting my 2 year old to start a bootcamp. It’ll be part yoga, part parkour, park interval training, part assault course.

Just home from hurling training, ridiculously cold is an understatement... and it's not like I wasn't layered up. Just bitterly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Went to bed last night and heard drip drip drip. Water dripping through the ceiling into a bedroom. Also the hotpresd, we have tubs with towels and sheets and there was inches of water in them. We drained the tank just in case and turned off the water. Plumber being contacted now!!!

Oh no!! There is nothing worse than burst pipe/roof leak water damage, fingers crossed its not too bad and a simple fix.

Know the feeling. Had an unidentified shower tray leak years ago & it destroyed the ceiling in the living room & dining room in ours, the fix was messy & expensive and took an age to get finished as getting someone to do the work was the hardest bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

stock and plenty of salt n pepper

Loved those play sessions with the kids... great craic altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Oh no. I had a (very minor) leak in my roof last summer, when it was raining constantly for 2 months and I found it very stressful. I had to hound a roofer to come out and fix it, which he kinda did! Hoping it's a very easy, cheap fix. No-one needs that sort of shock before January pay day.

• Advertisement

Guy came round and fixed 3 separate leaks. Looks ok now thankfully and not too expensive. House is just at that age now (1990 built) where everything is beginning to go, like myself I suppose 🤣🤣

Advertisement