Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^^My youngest is now 4.5 (the half is very important) and she knows all the strings to pull, asking me why I prefer work to spending time with her. I know she is laying it on as I see her almost every morning and evening and full time at the weekends but my god does it cut deep.

I am penciling a walk before bed tonight, small goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,156 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Work a common factor, I'm exactly the same,really do need to try and manage my workload a bit better, I'm already 51 and the kids are 12, if I'm not careful they'll be grown up before I know it.

Life is for living, sometimes I need to remind myself of that.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I think I made the biggest pig of myself this Christmas, its a record. I wasn't in shape at all pre Christmas and then had two weeks off pigging out, think full pork breakfast half the days, 10-15 Quality street, take aways, loads of sambos, and pints to beat the band.

I was to afraid to weigh myself yesterday as I think it will be the heaviest I have been in four years. Add to that this morning getting ready for work I put on loose clothes and they are bet on to me.

I started yesterday with a jog, and did 45 mins in the gym this morning. Psyching myself up for a weigh in.

Need to get my A*se in gear also...

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Good News - I weighted myself in this morning, I did not gain a single pound over Christmas.

Bad News - I gained 1.5 stone in 2023.

Even worse news - House is still full of treats as with baby being born on the 28th we hadn't had the time to indulge as I would have hoped those treats will still be going come Easter at this stage!!

I did make a positive step forward and decided to walk my son to creche as oppose to drive it, the walk in 15 mins there and 15 mins back, so two 30mins walk a day Mon-Fri guaranteed while I'm off on leave and that's not counting the dog walks and the usual steps to the shops etc. Clocked 15.5k steps today so a good start. I need to do something as I've been maintaining since November but not shifting a pound.

• Advertisement

I'm bringing treats in to work tomorrow to try and get rid of them, we still have so much junk this year, if I keep indulging I'll not fit into my work clothes which were getting snug before Christmas as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I did two BodySlims programmes last year and finished 3 stone lighter than I started. However in the past two weeks I'd say I've easily put on 10lbs (too terrified to look at the scales) as I ate and drank all round me, think biscuits for breakfast - she says as she's sipping a G&T midweek!! - my new size 10 jeans are feeling a bit too snug. Not back to work until Monday but I'll try to kick it into gear then. I'd a brunch with friends today, my brother's 50th party next Saturday, a meal with the women of the family in 2 weeks, a night away the following week and have to meet friends for a dinner in there too - doesn't make it easy!! Need to hit the gym too, walking the dog isn't enough.

I weighed myself this morning and its a gut punch (pun intended). I am the heaviest I have been in seven years.

Two years ago (from September to Christmas 2020) I went full loon with training and more importantly diet. I was a pain in the arse to be around the last month and got to addicted to the food and body scales. I went from 95kg (209lb) to 77kg (170lb). I wanted a six pack (yup I know) one more time in my life. It wasnt sustainable and said that I would stay at 82-84kg (185lb) as I was that weight for most of my life eventually and alarms bells at 85kg to get fit again.

Well I have done the absolute dog on it and as of this morning I am 96.2kg (212lbs). Im upset and annoyed with myself. It killed me two years ago, no booze no fun. I am also more injured than ever but love food. So back on the militant diet and training today.

TLDNR: Im fat and need self control and a lot of exercise. The goal is to live longer to enjoy my kids longer.

@Jude13 meet your brother. I'm also at my heaviest since I got back in shape 7/8 years ago and have decided like yourself for pure health reasons I can't keep doing this and need to act accordingly. All the men in my fathers family have had heart problems and the vast majority died of heart attack and many at my age or younger, I don't want my children to lose their dad to an avoidable situation so have decided to stop being a selfish old git and to start taking care o myself.

I've a few more years under the belt than you so you've plenty of time to set things straight and I've no doubt that you will.

Like yourself I've too many old injuries now to go hell for leather running or in the gym so will need to hit the diet side of things moreso his time and get as much walking in as I can.

Here's to day 1!!

Go team! Day 1 for me too.

The sad thing is food is so good. I can gym five days a week consistently but no real progress on weight loss as I love food.

Anyway lets get at it. We are very similar, my dad became the longest living male in a few generations when he hit 42, he also had multiple heart attacks in his 40s and had to retire at 54. A work acquaintance at a competitors firm died suddenly prior to Christmas after a series of heart attacks over a week. He was 36 and didnt look after himself.

Day 1: 96.2kg (212lbs)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Im in the same boat gents. Need to get arse in gear big time!

First of 3 walks done this morning already at 6k steps.

Planning on getting a 5-6k walk in this evening after I get home from work.

Just need to avoid the temptation of the Christmas treats people have brought in to the office now... avoiding at home is hard enough but to have the treats around me in the office too requires significant willpower!!

Did a weight session, nothing hectic very early this morning and did a jog at lunch. In the seven years Ive been here I have never managed a jog at lunch so dont see it repeating itself. that plus the dodgy knee.

Charge my fit bit last night as we all know steps only count when you have a fit bit or watch to track them.

Go team!

Ended up yesterday with 19k steps for the day, currently at 7k and one walk still to go!

That's savage. I got to almost 17 and that was with a 40 min run at lunchtime!

I drive to and from work and sit on may bum from 7am to 6pm so yesterday was an outlier.

Knee is telling me not to run too much. I missed the gym this morning as I had an early meeting which never actually happened.

Wow Jude your zone minutes are excellent. I need to up mine.

Ah lads, putting me to shame. Like Jude I drive to & from work & spend my normal work day sat at a desk. When I'm on site I tend to get plenty of walking in but that's only 1 day per week most weeks.

When the weather is brutal walking in the evenings is less appealing too. Will be getting out tonight though 100% and will walk for an hour so hopefully get something decent on the steps count.

I’m an office base job so I’m usually plonked down during the day. Being off makes it easier to get the steps in.

The good news is we are in for a dry cold spell of weather so getting out will be easier for us all.

I love walking when its cold & clear. Its the rain I hate. Don't mind the cold at all.

• Advertisement

Love a walk alright. Is zone minutes when you are exerting yourself? That day I ran for 40 mins and I really felt the extra 10kg so Id say my heart was ready to pop.

Yesterday wasnt as good.

Today I will be lucky to get to 6k. I went to the gym this am and did half an hour they had a ice bath which was rough. I used to to them a lot years ago and have done them ad hoc in the past year.

Yes zone minutes are when the heart rate hits either fat burning or cardio HR zones.

Will be a quieter day today for me as I need to drive somewhere this morning. Weekends will be harder to keep the steps up as don’t have the crèche walks.

Spent my first weekend in a while dry, it was tough as I had been asked out to play golf with some serious boozers. I meet my wife after the golf and she had a glass of wine (she had about 1 bottle of wine the whole of 2023), it was surreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tentatively joining back in on this thread. I'm not weighing myself though, I have too bad of a relationship with the scales to do that to myself in January. But I've decided that 2024 is the year that I am prioritising myself. I've spent the last few years just concentrating on the family so this year, it's all about me lol!

I joined the gym last May & have been going to that consistently twice a week doing weights so I'm going to add a cardio session as well. And as part of my "look after me" regime, I'm planning on eating three decent meals in the day. Started today by actually having breakfast when I got up & not the usual three hours later.

Got loads of walking in over the weekend, I don't believe in Dry January as neither myself or the Mrs are big drinkers anyway, so I had a couple of pale ales on Saturday watching TV. Then other than a mince pie & some baileys whipped cream stayed away from the treats so feel better about myself on the food side of things already.

My under 13 boys GAA team is back training from tomorrow also, so there's 2 more opportunities a week to be out & active as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

I had my first dry night in ages last night. Survived it so that's good.

I have had a stressful week with personal and work stuff. usually I would comfort eat but luckily just didnt feel like it. I have had the usual big loss week 1, but know from experience that a lot of it is water weight and I will bounce back up a bit.

Week 0: 96.2kg (212lbs)

Week 1: 93.9kg (-2.3kg / 5lbs)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I said I wasn't going to weigh myself - I should have stipulated that I'm not going to weight myself at home. Our gym has one of those In Body Scanners so jumped on before my workout at lunchtime. No change in my stats really since the last time I did it (which was last July 😱) - which if nothing, means I've at least been consistent 🤣

Anyway, I've got great motivation at the moment - it's the last year of my 30s. I'm determined to go into my next decade in better shape.

That's great to be so consistent! My health kick a few years ago (logged on here) was saying goodbye to my 30's also.

My bounce back was immeadite, I had done a run the day before my week 1 weigh in (93.9) as I am 94.3kg this am.

• Advertisement

I need to bite the bullet and properly weigh in on Monday and make it my starting weight, I've been doing daily weigh ins and my weight is like a yo yo up and down alot this week.

Advertisement