Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Give yourself a break @Jude13 - proper rest now will pay dividends later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

Thanks for the wishes.

Did my jog, a whooping 4km, that was two days ago and my legs are rough.

Hectic week or two ahead with work, bloody hot here 40+, so trying little by little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Echo what others have said above, I'd not feel too guilty about allowing your body to physically recover from your op, especially with the conditions being that warm. Last thing you need to do is push yourself when recovering.

Take care of yourself though, health (mental not to be forgotten) is key!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Week 1: - 5lbs/2.27kgs

Week 2: - 3.6lb/1.63kgs = 8.6lb

Week 3: - 0.8lb/0.36kgs = 9.4lb

Week 4: -3.8lb/1.7kg = 13.2lb

Week 5: - 2.8lb/1.3kgs = 16lb

Week 6: - 2.4lb/1.1kgs = 18.4lb/8.36kg loss so far

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Week 6: - 2.4lb/1.1kgs = 18.4lb

Week 7: - 3.4lb/1.5kgs = 21.8lb/10kg loss so far

Thats some loss @tscul32 no idea how you're maintaining a 3lb average per week, thats awesome. Well done.

Wish I had that kind of willpower these days.

To be fair, my diet was pretty bad beforehand. I walk (not stroll) an hour a day, have ditched a lot of carbs as in my lunch and dinner are mostly veg and protein and just avoiding the treats. Almost no alcohol in that time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Is there anyone here doing intermittent fasting? The 16/8 method? One of my big downfalls is eating too much in the evening.

I do @tamara25 - I'm a dreadful picker especially in the evenings so this helps me keep on an even keel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Have you been doing it for long? Do you find it helps to shift the pounds? I only have a stone to lose. It’s always in the back of my mind to try it out properly?

I initially started it about three years ago and i lost 5 stone over a period of about 7 months. This was using intermittent fasting, calorie deficit and an absolute ton of walking. While I find it very good it will only work for weight loss if you are also keeping to a calorie deficit. For me it's the psychological effect - I'm just not tempted to snack when I'm fasting. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

@tscul32 @Loughc Would you recommend Bodyslims? I'm loathe to go on another "diet plan" but I can't seem to do it on my own :(

I'm very disciplined once I'm held accountable so it works for me. Having said that WW also worked for me but I hated it with a passion. You do need to be strict with yourself. The guy, Ger, who runs it has a very "suck it up and get on with it" attitude which doesn't suit everyone but I'm fine with it. He doesn't accept excuses or moaning. It's only for 10 weeks so if you stick to it it will work. No cheat days, try to avoid nights out and meals out. First few weeks you will be hungry and having carb/sugar withdrawal but if you suck it up and get on with it, that will pass. I'm signing on again for the September programme to really sort myself out and then it's a matter of maintenance. I have a very bingey personality, can't eat just a few of a family size bag of crisps, but my cravings are long gone at this stage. Almost 8 weeks in now and I'm getting bored of it, but the finish line is in sight and I'm delighted with the results.

Week 7: - 3.4lb/1.5kgs = 21.8lb

Week 8: +0.2lb = 21.6lb/(almost)10kg loss so far

My system went a bit weird last week. The weight is already shifting again so I see it as just a blip. Last 2 weeks now and I've already signed up for the pre-Christmas course.

Week 8: +0.2lb = 21.6lb

Week 9: - 4.2lb/= 25.8lb/11.7kg loss so far

made up for last week😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Since we are now just a little closer to next Christmas than last Christmas, I am now officially weighing in on this thread.

Ha ha, intentional pun !!!

Haven't the nerve to actually post any real numbers, but taking the inspiration anyway.

Week 8: +0.2lb = 21.6lb

Week 9: - 4.2lb/= 25.8lb

week 10: -2.2lb/1kg

Total loss = 28lbs/12.7kg 😁😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jaysus, ye are all great in here. I seriously need to get back into an exercise routine. I haven't had the motivation at all for a few months now. Then had a bit of a scare with my dad last week (think he will be ok though) so I've been kind of down for a while and rundown also - got a bloody coldsore in the middle of all the drama. I don't even know what I weigh at this stage - I should keep track; I'm sure I'll give myself a shock when I actually weigh myself 🤣 Been snacking and just generally not eating consciously a lot of the time.

Sorry to hear your dad has been unwell, hope he is recovering well. Definitely the people in here are great and they have given me the motivation to get back on track after a spectacular fall off the diet wagon.

Getting back on track for Christmas

I finished the summer back up 9lbs on my bodyslims end weight, but not a bit surprised as I ate and drank all round me. I knew I was doing the next programme too so that didn't help the summer motivation.

Anyway the new programme kicked off yesterday so I will update here again. The more people I have to report to, the better I will do.

Anyone else shaping up for Christmas?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I need to get my arse in gear between now and Christmas. Gonna start with the hour walks again and see how I go. At least it’ll be an hour less snacking at night 😂

I could do with it TBH, but with work & GAA I have no time at all, even getting out for walks is proving difficult at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same problem I'm having, I got 30mins in last night and will definitely get a hour in after work as I finish earlier on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Not sure if any use to anyone here. But a way a friend of mine sorted this issue was simply by parking a lot further away from things than normal. So rather than parking directly outside work - he would park a good 20/30 minutes away and walk the rest of the way to work. It forced him to get in an hour of walking each day. And since it was part of his commute to work anyway it was moderately more time efficient than trying to get out for a walk from the couch or whatever.

He also eats his lunch while walking too which means he is getting his steps in during his entire lunch break. Which I think I feel a little more iffy about myself as I am big on "Mindful Eating" which is just a buzz word way of saying that when I am eating I like to focus entirely on the eating and not be doing it as part of something else I am doing at the time. But if walking is important then it's definitely a time efficient way of doing more of it. Find things you would be doing anyway and then - if possible to do it safely - simply do them while walking.

On a slightly related note - I always did find it comical watching the people queue for ages for the busy lift up to the gym in a certain place in Dublin. And then get on the Stair Machines once they got inside. Never seemed to occur to them to use the stairs to the gym :)

Yeah, I've pulled my OH up on trying hard to get a parking spot closer to the door .... of the GYM!!

I got out for my walk on Wednesday but not a chance the past two days. Have my brother's wedding on Sunday and his wedding cake to do, on top of an unexpected 2 weeks of work so a walk just isn't happening until Monday, or maybe Sunday morning if I can get the cake finished tomorrow. Proper diet will have to wait too, big wedding dinner and a "few" drinks to be had. But at least I'm in the headspace again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have been avoiding this a thread too long. I ate my way through the summer. Here is my list of current excuses and realities:

1. I have a sore knee so couldn't run - currently seeing a physio to remedy.
    2. Work, work work - need to be selfish with my time, get up early and do something.
    3. Can't lift weight due to neck surgery and the closes gym to me shutting down - I have one more week of down time then the doc says I can lift. I have dumbbells' in the garden.

Number 2 is the worst. Work is getting on top of me. Early mornings, late nights, BD nights out, travel. I am currently constantly wrecked. I have a mouth full of mouth ulcers which means I can't comfort eat at least. I have more than I have ever had before, my tongue is in bits.

So I am trying to cut down on food intake and hit a calorie deficit. I have been going well until this weekend with two work events and the rugby.

I have one of those veggie green shakes for breakfast, protein (chicken/beef/fish) plus salad for lunch and the same for dinner.

Week 1 was last week and it went fine, I lost the run of myself over the weekend so did no weigh in this morning.

All the best to everyone trying to shed the holiday weight.

• Advertisement

Yeah I can echo those sentiments Jude. Work is killing me lately and when I'm not working I'm trying to get time with the little guy and he's full on usually by the time he goes to bed for us it's dinner, one hour of tv, get a bit done around the house and we're eyeballing bed ourselves.

Advertisement