Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amatuerism v Professionalism. Small budgets v Big budgets. Has the horse bolted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

wow didn’t realise there was that many. 38 over 10k capacity!!

would love to know the bill for maintaining all these ground’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Treble double

Off topic but Kiely couldn't give a fiddlers about winning a Munster championship, would be just as happy to sneak in to the top 3 and get to an All Ireland semi under the radar. Lads getting carried away with the Munster Championship because there are tight games in it. Limerick can be caught in it because they are tapering their preparation for the business end of the season and know its not do or die. They would beat any of the teams in Munster pulling up in a knockout game in Croke Park at the moment. Cork and Tipp are far from vintage in recent years, Waterford are Waterford and Clare are all huff and puff untill it comes to do or die time in Croker. Your having a laugh if you think you could draw consistently big crowds for a professional game by these five plus two or three more playing against each other over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭threeball

It's not about who trains harder. It's about who puts bums on seats and the women's game doesn't. Talk of it ever being professional is nonsense.

And in the pro game there would be no meath, meath would be aligned with 2 to 3 other counties and named something else. There's no possibility of a pro Dublin vs a pro Louth. It won't happen. Professionalism will happen but probably not for another decade.

that’s why i say maybe 2 or 3 teams from each province in an all Ireland league.

I think there’s probably 8- 10 teams that are well placed in terms of population & stadiums.

Kerry cork playing in Puc

Dublin playing in Croke park

Galway mayo redeveloped stadium in Connacht

Belfast derry in new casement & other redeveloped stadium

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OK I think we both agree that the pro game cant work for the womens game. Nobody is arguing for that.

My point here - which you have not addressed - is how a pro game could work in the mens game.

Seriously - you think they'll get rid of the county structures, so that a handful of players can get a few hundred euros a week.....?

Maybe while we are at it, if they made the pitch smaller, got rid of points, only had goals, no more handling of the ball (except for the goalkeeper), introduce offside and corner kicks....

OK - and so lets Galway are in the league - and they are pro. And then they get relegated. Do they stop being pro? And then say Armagh get promoted, do they start being pro? But what if they get relegated again the following year. And what about the class player from Roscommon. Will he be able to move club to Galway so he can go pro? None of this works in practice.

Well this is admittedly a problem, do we have a relegation system or a system like the rugby system where there’s no relegation.

Personally i think relegation wouldn’t work as it gets very complicated then & you’ll need a similar lower league system that won’t generate the money and sustain the team’s.

So maybe 10 or 12 pro teams based all over the country.

If roscommon had a David Clifford type player he can go wherever he want’s. But the system i have in mind would be all pro clubs will have an academy system and clubs in the regions to produce player’s.

I would hate to see a system like soccer where the likes of Man City & Saudi Arabia can buy whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Treble double

Proffesionalism, semi professionalism for players would be the death knell for the Gaa. There isn't enough competitive teams in hurling to even consider it and football is a poor enough spectacle now, further sterilising it with paid athletic robots would finish it. What needs to happen is to rein in the time that players are allowed to train collectively and bring it back to where it fits into healthy work life balance for athletically gifted young adults. Enforce this doggedly with expulsion from competition being the penalty for a breach. The county boards will be happy to cooperate.

We had over 100 year’s of that already

Surely nobody wants another 100 of it.

Football & rugby have some shocking games a lot of time but still get the crowd’s & money.

• Advertisement

There's no point in having a conversation with you as your arguments just take on the most nonsensical meanders possible. Jumping from womens professional leagues to reducing the pitch and taking away points.

As the game is, its unsustainable. €35 million a year and increasing being pumped in to IC where 95% have no chance of winning anything ever. Guys leaving the game in weaker counties as the demands are too high for the rewards. Neil McManus born in Antrim, wonderful hurler, trains as hard as anyone, will never play in even a significant game. An inferior hurler from KK would have 3 All Irelands in his pocket. Emlyn Mulligan from Leitrim, same story. Players are leaving in their droves, even from successful counties.

People are losing interest, in football especially, as the game is too predictable. You know who's likely to win it every year. Draws have no one watching as Galway always draw Mayo and Roscommon, Derry always draw Donegal or Armagh. Same thing, year in, year out.

It won't happen today or tomorrow but the games will go one of two ways. There'll be a professional league or IC will be severely cut back due to players not willing to invest their lives for nothing.

The problem I guess is that the GAA is built around volunteerism. It completely breaks down without it.

And I think a lot of friction would come from a situation where - on the one hand, people are giving up enormous amounts of time, which they do, to support the organisation - and on the other hand, some people are being paid to play. I just cant see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,771 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

All sports are built on volunteerism.

Soccer and rugby are full of volunteers.

Some people in the GAA need to stop pulling themselves off to this idea that only the GAA has volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Football & rugby have some shocking games a lot of time but still get the crowd’s & money.

Not in Ireland they don't.

The problem we have will always be the problem we'll have.

We are too small a market for decent size professional GAA.

There are just not enough people and thus not enough money to make it feasible.

If you want to compensate players better then look at what college football did.

For years there was conflict over players not being able to earn anything from their efforts.

Players got suspended for as minor an infraction as getting discounts at a tattoo shop.

So they came up with a compromise called Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) .

Now players can do endorsement deals with companies and brands to earn money from their popularity as players.

I know GAA players are seen going around in a new Volvo from their local Volvo dealer with some branding on it, but it could be extended to them actually signing contract to endorse something and get paid for it.

In college football the big high profile players get the big NIL deals but there are also lower profile local ones for les well known players.

The same could happen here, yes David Clifford will be the face of nationally recognized brands, but Ben O' Carroll could also be the face of such and such brand in Roscommon and get some income for his efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Good few players making a few pound in a lot of different ways - especially on social media. This is from years ago:

‘Dublin's Dean Rock can command €1,300 per sponsored Instagram post – he has nearly 37,000 followers on the social media platform. Galway footballer Damien Comer can demand €665 per post, and a third of that for an Instagram story. Tipperary dual player Orla O'Dwyer – currently playing with the Brisbane Lions in the AFLW – can charge €830 for one post to her 24,000 followers.’

They probably have twice that following now. I’d say O’Dwyer does

The population argument is a bit of a fallacy. The average salary in the Danish league is 52k per year. A country with a similar population and not as invested in the sport as Ireland is in GAA. I know many Danes and 50% have little to no interest in soccer or the Danish league. Portugal sustains a very high waged league, averaging over €300,000 with a population of only €10million. The Austrian league where football is probably the 5th most interesting sport after Skiing, Biking etc. is over €40k per annum. There's absolutely no doubt that there is sufficient population and money here to support a pro league but not in the current configuration of 32 completely imbalanced teams.

And in a Pro league you'd be retaining all the guys that went to Australia, went to Rugby or just left the game and so the standards would improve generating more interest and more revenue. It would raise players profiles as they could dedicate time to visiting schools, charities, hospitals which would increase their brand and their ability to earn additional money on top of their base salary. More kids would stay playing the game if they thought they could potentially make a living from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭randd1

In football, say you have two leagues, 16 counties per league (32 teams), so 15 game season, QF's, SF's final. Cup competition on provincial grounds, max 6 games. Max 24 games a season for arguments sake.

Each county side has a panel of 32 and a management/backroom team of 18. So 50 involved in total.

Everyone involved gets €500 per game.

So 32 teams, of 50 people, max 24 games, at €500 a head. That's €19,200,000. Now obviously the final total is a good bit lower than that as half the teams would only be getting 16 games a year, but it's the max that can be paid out.

Would that be sustainable? Say, add €5 to match days and have 4/5 official sponsors putting in a million quid a year.

It's possible for me. Might be a disaster, but its possible. And if it's possible, you can be sure it'll be tried at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Colm O'Rourke summed it up perfectly a few years back when he said "Ask not what i can do for the GAA, but what the GAA can do for me"

• Advertisement

But nobody will know what Ireland’s population will be in 20 - 40 year’s time. But current trends suggest there’s gonna be a lot more people living here in our city’s especially.

If there’s 15 fixtures that means there isn’t equal home & away fixtures?

I think the problem with anymore than 10 or 12 teams is the resources. And levels & competitiveness between team 1st & team 16th would be probably be so vast it wouldn’t generate public interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭randd1

Yeah, just the 15 round robin games, home and away alternates every year. Keeps the season short and allows for the Cup.

Massive potential for promotion/relegation would a way of keeping it interesting. Say in the top league, bottom two relegated automatically, next two play off to stay up/go down. You'd have to finish 12th or higher to avoid relegation in the round robin. In the bottom tier. SF losers play off to see how gets promoted.

As an aside, even ignoring the semi-pro side of things, I wouldn't mind seeing that for football.

32 teams on an island of 6 million people isn't sustainable in any guise. It worked when we moved around in Ass carts and Bikes. Now you can get to 90% of the country inside 3hours. 16 teams, 15 league games and 4-5 championship scattered throughout the league would work well, giving a max of 21 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Last season, Austrian clubs received €51 Million in UEFA money. Danish clubs shared the same amount. Portuguese teams earned €151 Million.

Then you have transfer money. In 2023/24 Austrian clubs brought a net €67.6 Million into the league through transfers abroad, and the Danish figure was €63.6 Million. Portugal's: €97 Million.

So before they sell a single ticket, or sign a TV deal, put a sponsor on the shirt etc. the Danish clubs between them have nearly €120 Million in the bank from 2 revenue streams Gaelic Games will never have.

What will compensate for it?

Sort of 6 Nations type arrangement or system? I love the idea of it, definitely worth trying.

i think the problem is

If team A had to go away to a Kerry or Dublin during the season, and was expecting too host Dublin or A Kerry next season & ends up getting relegated. They would lose out on serious money & Income for next year making the whole system unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,074 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Thank you

You saved me looking for that info and posting it.

People need to remember that GAA is a niche sport (well two niche sports obviously) played in a small country of 6 odd million.

There is no example of a professional sport that compares with those fundamentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

How does any European soccer market, and one of the richest sports in the world, have relevancy to a possible semi professional national sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The post I was responding to was effectively saying "If Denmark and Austria can have professional soccer leagues, we can have a professional GAA"

• Advertisement

Thats the now.

There could be 10 or 15 million people living here in 20 years time.

And it isn’t a niche sport anymore. It’s got clubs all over the world playing it & bases in some of the Wealthiest city’s in the world.

And Connections, revenue & infrastructure alot of sports envy.

Advertisement