Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Just got my 192 guys, thanks for all the advice. Delighted with it so far. Will take a whkle to get used to all the gizmos. Also thanks to @buzzerxx I now seem to have everything in the app unlocked now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Goose81

Is that with the heater on or off? The heater eats battery

I have never bothered to actually measure the distance but in summer I can into and out of work into Dublin city on battery alone with 4km left and it's a round trip of 32km . So far this winter I run out of battery about 2km from home

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

herself drives it 90% of the time. I’m BEV since 2012 so I reskin I could extract more from it than her 😂

People give out about these small range hybrids but its mad how much people actually need for day to day compared to what they think they need. If this car had a battery range of 70km instead of what I am getting, I reckon a tank of fuel would last me a year and it's a small tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The new one does have that 70kms plus range, and it's 20k cheaper than full electric i5. Which would buy a lot of petrol the odd time you'd need it

She currently gets about 2 months from a rank. €65 to fill. We charge every night of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Mine is a 12kwh unit and I have been getting around 20km the last few days, and the lowest I got was 16km last week which is unusually low this year. Use heating set to 19 deg 50% of time and increasing to 20/21 deg further reduces range. Summers I get around 35-40km, but I wish at least 50km would have made me plug 2-3 times a week.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Preconditioning makes a big difference in the winter.

Use the app and set your departure time , it then heats the car and the battery off the mains before you get in , so you don't need to run the A/C as much to warm the car up and de-mist the screens etc. and the battery is up to temperature before you start driving..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

A hypothetical situation as they say.

A 5 year old (182 reg) PHEV with approx. 150k kms, from a reputable used car dealer costing approx. €25k.

After 7 months & 7k kms develops a fault with the hybrid battery that could render the EV element of the car non functioning. (Potential repairs anywhere in the region of €2k-€8k)

Any expectations of comeback from the dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Doubt it.

Make and model?

Is the battery still under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭User1998

Hybrid/electrical items are usually excluded from dealer warranties

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭zg3409

Did dealer give warranty or not?

Car is a 530e. I believe manufacturer warranty on the battery went to 6 years / 100k Kms whichever came first. Car was a UK import and a non brand dealer so hasn't been near BMW Ireland for any goodwill to be considered.

I didn't mention the warranty initially in part because of the quote above, but also to discuss the consumer rights aspect of the purchase. Failure of the hybrid battery does not fall under normal wear and tear and I don't believe 7 months / 7k Kms is a reasonable time for the car to be fully functioning as expected.

I'm awaiting a full diagnosis of the issue and potential solutions but I suppose I was looking for opinions on how much the EV drive train of a PHEV is considered in terms of the overall function of the car. Car can obviously still be driven but to have no EV changes the very reason for buying the car in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭User1998

The dealer in question obviously gave you a warranty yes? I assume 6 months or 12 months? If the warranty excludes electrical parts and its been over 6 months then I can’t see you having any consumer rights. Its a 6 year old car with 150k km on the clock. Not a brand new car. Thats just my opinion tho

Yes a 6 month but as you say would not cover electrical ) hybrid battery either way.

Funnily, the hypothetical symptoms have gone away today.

I've paid for bimmerlink and ran it for errors, with a few indicating some charge loss in a single cell module so it may not be as catastrophic as initially feared.

What is the issue?

KLE?

Aux Heater?

Something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭joe1303l

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amdsquad

Can someone compare and give an opinion if this is a sign of healthy battery on full charge ?

Hi guys.

2017 530e with 50.000km from Frank Keane Blackrock. Battery started to loose capacity after last winter. Brought car in for warranty repair. 6 months later got car back with 3/6 cells replaced and gained range from 14km to 18km. Full charge takes up 5.5 kWh as opposed to my friends around 8 kWh in my BMW app. In mean time my warranty ended and they don’t seem to see any faults with over 30% capacity loss that should be covered by 6 year warranty in a first place. They restored around 10% of capacity (3-4km) and call it a day. I think I’m bouncing off the walls now and won’t be able to sort it out without solicitor.

Do you think I have a court case for false advertising and not being able to deliver 30% capacity loss protection ? Or is is waste of time.

Post edited by amdsquad on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Mine is 182 with 90,000 km and the battery takes 8 kwh charge from 0% so that doesn't look great. I checked my charging history for the same date as above and the range said 23 km.

I doubt you'd get far with the legal route. Bad experience with warranty recently with Frank Keane. They tried to wiggle out of warranty as it expired between the time the car was booked in and them seeing it two weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

about to pull the trigger on a 2018 G30 for 27k, has 88km on the clock and came in from UK as far as i can tell. excellent car to drive and having had a LExus IS300h for a while i like hyrbids so hoping for more of the same from this with a high electric range. my commut is a 66km round trip, Ratoath to Parkwest, So house to N2 on Electric, N2 onto M50 to red cow will be about 100km max an then electric from redcow to office. Free charge in here and then return home again with same set up. Thinking petrol only for the duel carriageways so should be good. Need to confirm if the G30 is standard with Apple Carplay should have that confirmed tomorrow as we both have iphones so thats a must. looking forard to getting back behind a 5 series, last one i had was a 2011 520d

If you could stretch to a 2019 car with the 12kWh battery like this one, you should save yourself quite a bit on fuel especially over the winter months. Warranty should be a consideration also as these are expensive cars to fix if they go wrong.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35360174

"192 "REG / LONGER RANGE 12KWH BATTERY /APPLE CAR

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Ya i bought a 192 reg with bigger battery before xmas. Getting approx 32km from battery in this weather. Preheating the car when plugged in is a must to get this.

The battery on the 2018 version is about 30% smaller (9.2kWh). Presumably it’s equivalent range would be 24-25km in the same conditions at best.

About 18-20 in this weather and 30’ish in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

I was seriously thinking about one of these from the north. After reading the issues some of you have had I think I will just go full EV.

12kw at a public charger is nearly 6 euro for 30ish kms. It is more expensive than petrol to charge these in winter.

Never in a million years would I charge a 530e at a public charger. Silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Are you sure the target value in battery charge control (charge limitation) is not set to a low percentage like 60% or something?

Post edited by buzzerxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Went out last night with the car/battery cold but fully charged. Heated seats on and I'd say I got about 10km out of it!

• Advertisement

Not surprised in that weather. But I also have a BEV so can drive it very economically compared to the missus!

Advertisement