Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

If you have no battery left, and are not charging as you drive, then you are basically driving a 2.0L B48 I4 turbo engine. Should be plenty of info. on the mpg of this engine as it is used across the BMW range .

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GPoint

I took 530e for a test drive , reset trip comp and drove it like a granny for half an hour in city and M50. Averaged over 8 l per 100 km. 2 l diesel can do a lot better so I did not see a point in hybrid so went for a diesel car.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

I’m in the exact same predicament. If I stay with a 5 series (also considering a Seal or i4) then it would be tough to move from 520d to 530e. One is a known fuel usage, the other a risky punt depending on usage, weather etc.

2 L diesel will always trump the 2 L petrol once the diesel is up to running temp and driven at a fairly consistent speed (i.e. motorway). When both are initially cold the difference is less.

If you are doing small runs where the engine has no time to get up to temp before the journey is finished, the hybrid works well here as the electric motor is used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Interesting topic,

Did a quick google,

Our latest reliability data shows petrol 5 Series models in a good light; they finished in second place out of 24 cars with a 97.2% record. Diesel variants scored an excellent 91.8% and the 530e PHEV 89%.

3% between diesel and phev, not much in it.

https://www.whatcar.com/bmw/5-series/saloon/used-review/n991/reliability

Absolutely, short city trips is where 530e best applied. However looking at used ones and the mileage they clocked it is very likely that most were used as company cars and no one cared for efficiency or plugged them in daily. They drive nicely in town that’s no doubt but not very well suited for longer trips due higher consumption and small fuel tank. A 3 litre diesel is such a refined unit over a 2 litre and has a lot more punch than this hybrid.

My brother-in-law is still driving my E60 6 cylinder petrol up in Northern Ireland. When I jump into that the difference between it and my G30 4 cylinder is night and day. A 4 cylinder unit can never match the smoothness of a 6.

Am thinking about mapping my 530e now it is out of warranty. Find the initial throttle response to be slow as it decides if the engine is on and if to use electric or not! Once it has gone a few metres picks up fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭User1998

The whole point of a 530e is that you charge it every day or two. Leave the house with 25km of range and use practically no fuel. You cannot beat diesel fuel economy if you drive it this way. And on a longer motorway run you use it in hybrid mode and get a similar economy figure to the diesel.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

I don’t agree, they are only hybrids with big batteries, and if done right they are flawlessly reliable, but I think only Toyota can do it right!

From what I can see; mb and bmw have definitely struggled in the reliability stakes with their hybrids.

I lived with diesels for years including an N47, and I think diesels could either be reliable and understressed or powerful, but never both.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Often wondered why they didn't pair the hybrid with the 2L diesel engine instead of the petrol. Best of both world I would have thought.

Mercedes offer that combo , but BMW never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Probably because the unrefined diesel engine shuddering in to life would be a fairly unpleasant driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭cr-07

Hi all.

I have posted in a couple of threads here, so my apologies if you've read my previous posts and that I'm somewhat repeating myself.

I currently drive a 2014 2.0 Diesel Insignia. My weekly driving comprises of small trips around the city, with a trip 1 day a week from Galway to Athlone and back again.

Have been looking at upgrading this year, and was originally thinking of getting a 2020 520d/320d. Came across a couple of 330e's, and was wondering if they are very similar to the 530e's, and if so, what would be the consensus on the following:

https: //www.cmcsales.ie/car-details/?3580459

What should I be looking for if I was to make the jump to a 530e/330e? e.g. what sort of mileage would be too high, etc

Btw, when tested 330e the petrol engine was not the most refined ! Wobbled the car very noticeably when revving from idle. Never seen this on diesel 3 series. Anyone knows what that could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Hi. I cant seem to get screen mirroring to work on my 2021 530e. Is anyone on here having trouble doing that and do i need an app on my phone?

Post edited by buzzerxx on

On i Drive 6 I had to add my phone separately for screen mirroring. My phone shows up twice now; one for calls and music, and again separately for screen mirroring. I then have to manually select to connect to the 'screen mirroring' phone each time I want to use screen mirror.

Try selecting the 'Manage Mobile Devices' and go from there...

• Advertisement

BMW seem to only care about iPhone, CarPlay works flawlessly in fairness and it’s wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Thats one thing i need to activate is CarPlay and find out if i have the wifi antenna

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think there is a software update available from dealers to enable android auto on G3x models build from July 2019 onwards with iDrive 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

I got my 192 530e M Sport(bigger battery from 192 on) before xmas. Range has been about 32km with the recent temps. Was up at 42km today when temps rose to 11 degrees. Very happy with the car. I moved from a 520d M Sport and find im saving about 25% on fuel costs when i take electricity prices on board. No night rate or anything.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I got it activated and bought an antenna and installed it myself. A little scary to pop everything out and back in but it was pretty easy and various good YouTubes etc. 100% use CarPlay for everything now. Out of interest I have a 520d and half considering a 22 model and keen on a 530e, partly because of the number of them around thanks to the import deals for garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Have you done any longer trips? I’ve done a few test drives but can’t really get a feel for consumption on those. The electric only mode is impressive though.

Any options that people think are must haves?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Head Up Display and upgraded Harman Kardon sound system are must have's for me. The adaptive headlights are very useful if you do a lot of rural night driving. Comfort seats are a nice upgrade too but can be rare enough to find.

I have the higher Bowers & Wilkins sound in mine. The speakers actually light up to match the ambient lighting! Really nice.

Adaptive LED headlights are great. They light up pedestrians or cyclists in dark spots of the road when driving. Nice feature.

Also have the comfort massage memory seats in the front.

still suffered from the normal bmw steering wheel degradation, I got it retrimmed last year and it’s made a huge difference. They added “love” handles to the wheel when retrimming it.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

So a little info that to long term drives of the 530e maybe redundant but to newer drivers might be useful.

My Commute - Ashbourne to Parkwest - 34km in total, N2 onto M50, off at Redcow and drive into Parkwest via normal route.

Overnight charge set to kick in at 11pm and is done just after 3am to 100%, Range on entering car at 6am is 28km. Drove on electric from house, through village to Pillo Hotel and onto N2, i have set to switch to petrol from 85kw/h so that happens and i get to near the M50 where the speed drops again and electric kicks in. I am a relaxed driver so onto M50 i just sit on the inside lane to the red cow. for the majority of this its about 85 or just below so mostly on electric. From redcow to office its electric only.

STATS

Time 27 Mins

Distance 34km

Avg Speed 72km/h

3.2 l/100km

Charge left 45%

Delighted with this as i will recharge at office, same return journey so i think when temp rises will be better still and could maybe increase the kick in from 86km/h to 90 or 100 and get an even better return

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have a similar journey length to my office ( Don't go in every day). 34/35kms

My journey is rural roads for the 1st 5 or 6 km then motorway/dual carriageway until the last km or so.

I set my car to "Max eDrive" (which covers full motorway speeds) and I can make the entire journey fully electric on the vast majority of trips - On very cold days where I end up needing to have the heating running all the time to keep the windows clear , I sometimes run out a few kms before the destination , but only rarely.

I can then charge fully in the office and do the return journey fully electric as well.

Advertisement