Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any 530e owners out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

I'm still getting 34 in this weather in my 2018, I'm wondering is there any chance is has the bigger battery.

Is there a way to manually check what KW the battery is? My car was first registered half way through the month December 2018 so it's basically a 2019 car

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Woodie40

My partner has bought a new 330e, she had a full ev, but didn’t suit her.

The new 5 series hybrid is an interesting proposition, must get a test drive in it.

She loves the heads up display as well, Car Play (an absolute essential for her) and just the level of comfort in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

interesting, once i get my charge cable for the office i may try this approach. I am wondering what the best overall drive setting is and trying to work out what gets me best miles on electric

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Look in the app under "charging History" and see how many Kw/h are used to charge the car from empty.

The bigger battery came with the slightly facelifted car , which I think only came out around July/August of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭PaoloGotti

Hi, thanks for this. Couple of questions:

How much kWh goes into charging? This is important to add to consumption cost. I often see PHEV L/100km quoted which is not the complete cost.

Also, why the 45% charge left? Especially if you can recharge at the office. Wouldn’t it be cheaper to use practically all the charge?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭User1998

The bigger battery version has the newer style of virtual cockpit/digital dash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Bigger battery models would have the updated instrument cluster like this one;

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you actually getting 34km or is that what’s displayed at 100%?

Our 100% will show 42km but don’t get that. But she drives in auto mode so not strictly trying to extract every last EV mile.

Look for the newer digital dash. Mine is the older digital dash.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I have my car set to default to "Max eDrive" on start as it suits my typical driving pattern.

Most of my typical "round trip" journeys are usually doable fully electric -I live in the countryside and the round trip to the nearest town for shopping etc. is about 25km for example.

If I know I'm doing a longer trip I'll switch over to Auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭Goose81

Yeah I have the older style dash. I do get 34km but I am in slow moving traffic , mine seems to be very accurate because the computer must be accustomed to basically doing the same trip twice a week every week, my routine doesn't change.

If I turn on heating forget that range though

• Advertisement

Still figuring out the best way of driving in so i will be increasing the speed at which the engine kicks in at to use most battery possible when arriving in office or back home

Ours is a lot of short distance range. But we drive it like any other car. AC on and hot temp, 22,23 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

thanks for the recommendation on options! it’s hard to find a car with them all!

What do people make of xdrive on the 530e? Not sure it’s the best option based on the extra weight and complexity, it’s already a heavy car.

I’ve actually never drove an XDrive 5 series.

I have one, but as I've never really driven a regular RWD 5 Series I don't really have a point of reference to compare the two.

I like how it drives and it still has a decent amount of rear wheel bias so it still feels like a RWD most of the time.

You feel the 4WD on an "enthusiastic" launch in that it doesn't fishtail and largely just gets traction down and gets going , but in the corners most of the drive is coming from the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

Xdrive 4WD improves traction in dangerous driving conditions, such as snow, ice, rocks, and other scenarios that can make control difficult. Ireland rarely gets snow and ice so deffo not worth the extra cost and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Mine is X Drive, it makes a massive difference when we have snow and frost as we did last week,

my previous rear wheel drive cars were unusable in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GPoint

Would not agree that there is little use for xDrive in Ireland. Any junction uphill on a wet day where you need to pull out from quickly is where xDrive comes in very handy. No wheel spin and risk of skidding, just floor it and it pulls like train even in the wet. On the icy surface it also helps greatly. So if there was xDrive on the car you find don’t dismiss it, you will appreciate it!

Interesting on the xdrive feedback - I’ll try and test drive both and see if I can feel any difference. I don’t see it being a dealbreaker on a particular car either way tbh.

I used to just have a set of all season 16” winter wheels for my E39! Much better solution if you have the space for them.

Winter tyres will trump the AWD in Ireland IMO too, particularly in an urban environment. There may be outlier cases though that AWD is required.

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Advertisement

My 2021 530e msport doesn't have xdrive and i never once noticed any loss of traction and i often pull away fast in the wet.

Agreed on tyres but if the car you find has an xDrive it will be a nice bonus. Just after you get used to it you may find that you are spinning wheels sometimes if you drive other car, that happens to me when I jump into a fwd car.

I am comparing f30 3 series rear wheel drive to a g30 5 series xDrive. Had to be careful with f30 in few places but never had issues with 5 series but this is very rare we don’t have black ice every day in winter here!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Don't have xDrive and in bad conditions may have a minor slip here and there pulling off but the traction control kicks in very quickly. Cold tyres contribute also. Any slip is done and dusted in a second.

Currently sitting at 26/28 for a full charge in my 2018. Think that will rise when a ittle warmer. Quick question. Is it normal to drive from home to point A and then have say 15km left, park up and return to the car say 5 hrs later and there be a little drain in that time? so the range drops from 15 down to say 13km?

Due to my geeky nature and Analytics background I am tracking all usage in a PowerBI dashboard. Everything from unit price per kWh charge, time charge, range, fuel cost, even dropped in a prediction model so i can adjust electric per unit price on a sliding percentage scale and see the imapact on future cost...... i have way to much time on my hand 😂

Yes,

The estimated range is based on the current driving profile.

So when you arrive home, the estimation is based on a warm battery and however you have been driving in the preceeding journey on the assumption that you keep driving like that.

When you get back in to the car the next time, the estimate is factoring in that the battery is now cold etc. so will show a lower range projection

ahhhh ha, makes sense, everyday a learning day

Put a deposit on a 222 Touring today with the following options:

Panoramic Sunroof

Adaptive suspension

Harmon kardon sound system 

Full Electric comfort seats 

Adaptive LED lights shadowline

Heated steering wheel 

Heads up display 

Comfort Keyless access

Non XDrive

thanks a for all the advice and options chat, really helpful.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

• Advertisement

Congratulations.

Sounds like you got the technology pack. Has it got wireless charging for phone?

Advertisement