Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boeing 737 Max

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Does Ryanair fly the 737 Max out of Shannon? flying to Faro at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

It's almost 5 years since the second max. crash. Hundreds of thousands of flying hours since. Really no need to be avoiding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

Previous posters have a point, average customer expects a safe aircraft and something is culturally and quality wise just wrong with Boeing. Have said that and as the previous poster said, 737 Max has been safely flying now for five years, MCAS is now understood and limited, plug doors are now probably the most scrutinized part in any new Max 9. The system does try and make itself better and has done so massively in the last fifty years but it's some run of stuff ups by B.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Possibly safer than the rest due to the scrutiny....

• Advertisement

I was thinking that. They will ideally need to locate that as it would hold some answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Over 10000 Boeing's in regular service. And yet you have clowns trying to avoid them due to a single isolated incident on a type that doesn't even fly from Ireland.

Broadly speaking the pilot community are not fond of the modern 737 family. Pilots drool about other aircraft, and in the Boeing family most have particular fondness for the old 757, out of production, describing it as a “rocket” with plenty of spare power to get out of situations. It was noisy and wasn’t economical to run. Lovely pax experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,263 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats just stupid. Nobody is avoiding anything because of one incident, they are avoiding a manufacturer that has demonstrated a lack of safe practice. It isn't complicated.

On Jan 8th 2024 the FAA released their Emergency Airworthiness Directive EAD 2024-02-51 requiring all Boeing 737-9 MAX aircraft certified in any category with mid cabin door plugs installed to be inspected upon receipt of the EAD, the operation of the aircraft is prohibited until that inspection is completed. Special flight permits are available for unpressurized flights only. The FAA reasons: "This emergency AD was prompted by a report of an in-flight departure of a mid cabin door plug, which resulted in a rapid decompression of the airplane. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the potential in-flight loss of a mid cabin door plug, which could result in injury to passengers and crew, the door impacting the airplane, and/or loss of control of the airplane."

Extract from AvHerald

Seems someone forgot to bolt it closed properly. Could have been a tragedy. Fortunately not even any real damage to the plane.

• Advertisement

That pilot had a bit of a job convincing ATC she had a potentially disastrous emergency and simply had to descend asap

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'm very interested to know the fixing mechanism of this door.

How it has managed to remain with the aircraft since delivery flying at 30 to 40k feet and now just blew out at 16k.

It must have been hanging on by a loosely threaded bolt or something.

Major accident avoided by nothing but pure luck.

Pilot seemed abit panicked there. Is it not required procedure to do mayday or pan pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Seemed to me like they were trying to get information,the important thing was to descend asap , obviously get information from the cabin crew then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I assume this wasn’t the planes first flight, it’s seen a lot of travel in two months and not failed, guess it’s cumulative stress caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gossamerfabric

aviate, navigate, communicate in that order. if you want clear commincation for your entertainment then wait for the dramatized movie with Cate Blanchett.

From what I’m seeing there is a likelihood the door section was opened for a routine inspection, but failed to be bolted back in place. It’s probable this was the air raft’s first flight after that particular inspection. Seems the “bolted back in place” wasn’t specifically on the checklist, but taken for granted it was part and parcel of the process to sign off on.

keep talking the Max down. I want some cheap flights on Ryanair for late March and April.

I was in an aircraft cockpit when a Pan Pan was declared. Decades ago, I was on an overnight light cargo flight from Dublin to Bonn, back via Southend. Student pilots got these opportunities way back in the day, the pilots had a lonely job in the night and some liked trusted company, and helped as a safety person to ensure pilot kept awake.

As it happened it was a very good thing I was on board. We were climbing out of Southend and I was enjoying the lovely sunny Essex landscape on my right side. We were passing Burnham on Crouch and my eye caught sight of a big round gap in the wing. The fuel cap was flying in the airstream, with chain caught on edge of fuel tank at exit. Fuel was free to be sucked out by lower pressure above wing. I informed the pilot, as he said he would not have known were it not for my presence. He went white as a sheet and told me to keep my beady eye on the fuel cap and take note of the location if it fell off as he’d need to retrieve it, to get a Titan fuel cap it would need to arrive from USA and we would have been stuck in Southend.

I checked fuel tanks in case there was any notable rapid loss, which there wasn’t. He then declared Pan Pan, to declare his immediate return to Southend. In meantime I was taking note of every road and back garden we were flying over, ready to track fuel cap trajectory if it became separated. Fortunately it stayed clinging for dear life until we landed back at Southend.

Other aircraft were cleared from our path, was interesting to hear the communications, including a “good luck” one from a British Airways pilot in the vicinity.

Michael O’Leary might recommend keeping all doors open during flight for quick turnaround 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Far cop, row 24 is the plug, row 25 has no window due the structural requirements for the plug

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭3d4life

The middle and window seats next to the missing door were reserved by two people who are said to not have made the flight.....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,271 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They used to say the same about the VC10!

757 was basically a narrowbody with (somewhat scaled-down) widebody engines. A321LR can do pretty much the same job but with far lower empty weight / fuel consumption.

I only did one trip on a 757, to the Canaries, fully laden so takeoff wasn't quite as sporty as that video, but still pleasant to fly on. Was seated right at the back and it was interesting to see just how much flex there was in the airframe when hitting light turbulence (this is, of course, normal, but not many narrow body planes are that long and in one-class configuration with no curtains you can see right to the front)

According to some pilots anyway, 737 cockpit is very outdated, awkward, cramped and noisy by modern (Airbus) standards. Not surprising as the basic design goes back nearly 60 years and some (nose and cockpit shape and fuselage section) borrowed from the 707 which was on the drawing board 70 years ago.

Really Boeing should have introduced an all-new replacement instead of the MAX but the bean counters wouldn't let them. It was all downhill for Douglas, who used to be regarded as the best civil airliner manufacturer, once McDonnell took them over and it's been all downhill for Boeing since they took over McDonnell Douglas but somehow the MDD bean counters ended up in control.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

The scrutiny that failed to prevent the Alaska incident.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Don't they use MAYDAY in the States ?!?

They were still using their normal callsign and the second controller had to ask them if they had declared an emergency...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭XsApollo

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Rarely. More often than not when I have a US aircraft declare emergency, they fail to use “PAN” or “MAYDAY”.

Needing to drop to 10000 ft would be the primary immediate concern but surely the quickest way to achieve that would be to call mayday to focus the minds of the controllers and not have them asking a lot of questions.

Unless of course its allowable to just dive the aircraft without permission.

• Advertisement

aviate, navigate, communicate in that order.

Advertisement