Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated and disappointing films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Fair enough. Sorry, was being a bit of a dlck. Wasn't feeling the Xmas spirit yesterday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is it possible we have entered into the over rated era of movies

Literally all mainstream movies are shite

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭elgicko

"Leave the World Behind". What an absolute steaming pile of sh1t. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The entire movie is pretty implausible, TBH, and no, sharks don't attack people half as much as we think they do. The vast majority of the time a shark will swim away from people because they're generally cautious. Most bite victims are victims of the shark doing a tester bite to see what something is made of and usually they'll leave a human alone because we're too boney. Sharks tend to prefer soft blubber, like seals. The problem is is that a person is bitten by a large enough shark, there's usually not enough time to stem the bleeding. But most shark attack victims survive, though, because the shark doesn't bother going in for the kill. Rodney Fox is a prime example.

Plus there are numerous crazy moments in 'Jaws', like the entire finale. Sharks don't leap onto boats, no matter how hungry they are and oxygen tanks don't blow up when shot with a rifle round. All of that is very much Spielbergian movie magic that requires a certain level of disbelief.

Now that being said, it's a fantastic film with a central special effect (Bruce) that still holds up really well in most of his scenes. It's easily one of my favourite films and will remain so. THE greatest shark movie ever made and it's unlikely to be topped. How anyone could think it "overrated" is beyond me.

One of the very few films that still gives me the willies when I watch it, which is really something these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

It's nay bother. An opposing view doesn't have to be a bad thing though. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The shape of water was meh how it one best picture Oscar I've no idea

Trainspotting a good film but not the great one it's held up as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

The fighter. Now Bale and Wahlberg did a good job but the script annoyed me. How do you leave out anything to do with Arturo Gatti in a biopic of Mickey Ward

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The shape of water... I hated that film so much!

Also... Arrival. I just don't know why people liked it so much. Utterly boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

A lot of best picture Oscar's nowadays are picked by and for people who can spend their life watching movies which is why they can watch these really slow movies in the middle of the day without failing asleep after a long day of work.

Roma is the perfect example of this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I tend to agree ... most in fact near all mainstream films in recent years are overrated .... examples ... those modern Spider-Man films like Homecoming, Far from Home et al ... not nearly as good as the early Spider-Man films for me ... modern superhero films in general are bland and samey compared to the older ones which were much grittier ...

Some films then are poor but saved by a great acting performance ... The Banshee of Inisheer is a prime example .... BG's role saved what was a rather poor cliched SI film .... I think all truly great films were ones that went against the grain ... they were directed by individuals who were visionaries and could see things no one else saw ... see a market for something before it existed! ... today it is all about formulae ... and providing a film done in an existing cliched style to satisfy a predictable audience ....

• Advertisement

There are several winners of best picture these days that are either poor or not for everyone ... some are very heavy going and others make me wonder what anyone saw in them ... I guess it depends on their background ... I knew a person whose father was totally obsessed with Chuck Norris and that was what was forced on him when he came of age .... Braddock Missing in Action, The Delta Force and other such propaganda cr@p starring the former karate guy turned wooden actor ... he ended up hating Norris and his ilk and would gladly watch anything other than that ... I asked him if 'anything' included Fifty Shades of Grey or Mrs Brown Da Movie and he said yes !! ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭John arse

Watched a film last night on virgin media - Deadly cuts,what shi#e😤!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

Beau is Afraid is essentially a three hour wánk without a satisfactory ending

Here are a few more overrated movies I recently revisited ... now these films are definitely not terrible but are rather overrated ...

Avatar ... huge in 2009 .. you'd think by then war of the worlds space movies were something firmly in the control of established franchises like Star Wars ... no it would seem ... this was huge but is a rather boring watch mainly due to its length ...

Titanic ... like Avatar this is a James Cameron film and like Avatar one of his more overrated offerings ... it is also a type of film one can only watch once ... the ending ... she survives he doesn't ... was too cliched too obvious and we all knew what was gonna happen to the ship ...

Forrest Gump ... back in 1997 I had just recorded this on one of them old VHS tapes for Christmas ... it was on the 23rd or something like that ... then we got a hurricane and the power was off for days ... finally got to see it early January the following year and I liked some of it like Vietnam but other parts in it were a little silly ... good film overall but v overrated is my view ...

The Searchers ... never got the appeal this has for some ...

Ghostbusters ... now here is a film/franchise I used to love when I was younger ... watched it recently and felt it was a mess in terms of its identity ... it is too comedic and clearly aimed at adolescents ... maybe that's all who should watch this ?? ... a darker more horror inspired Ghostbusters with zero comedic cheesey elements may work though ... but the sequels and remakes did not do that !!

On a slightly different perspective ... The Dark Knight ... I love this film but I think Batman Begins is actually way better ... BB did the origin story so well whereas TDK was a rehash of the 1989 Batman in many places ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The Searchers?

So much going on in that movie, not least amazing cinematography. It's not the traditional western, it's highlighting parts of the history of the west that aren't often told, at least not at that time. The characters are imperfect and a product of their life experiences. I guess superficially it looks like the usual western but it isn't.

Hard to put a movie like this in context. So many modern movies are disposable entertainment moving to fast to tell any meaningful story.

Worth reading the wiki on it ... explains it better.

Avatar a visual and technological show case. For scfi buffs it's the classic exploration movie, with a few twists to keep it interesting.

However if you're not a scfi fan I suspect there's nothing in it for you.

The second is just same thing reheated. Feels like paint by numbers.

Couldn't agree more. In the book the shark has a reason for being territorial, no idea if that's something sharks do.

There a lot of very poor content being over produced.

I think its a great sequel. Someone here said it was too long. That they could chop an hour out of it I'll agree with that. Probably takes too long to get to the point, and you dropped out before it starts to come together.

I think it works because it moves original story on, adds to it while not detracting from the original movie or the original characters. But could do with better editing.

Too often they make a sequel that ruins the original for me, or a prequel.

• Advertisement

Yeah bit overrated for me too. You agree Dave don't you... Dave...

I enjoyed it.

But then they are mostly rock videos with aircraft acrobatics wasn't expecting much else. So it delivered that.

A lot of 80 movies were more style than substance. Pop culture. Sequels are much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, Hooper mentions "territoriality" in the film and that it was a theory he agreed with, and during the 70's there was a lot of debate amongst marine biologists about that kind of thing. But I think the general idea now is that sharks just roam about and the largest will get the best hunting spots without necessarily staking any kind of claim. But if the feeding is good, a shark will hang about for a while and take advantage of the opportunity. So, while 'Jaws' isn't really correct about this, it isn't entirely wrong either.

But if sharks really wanted to stake out beaches and eat people, they could do it with impunity and beaches would become no go areas for humans.

Over 50% of Shark attacks are not feeding related apparently.

Any way great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's well known that shark attacks are a result of mistaken identity/curiosity i.e. thinks humans are a seal or other prey. There's feck all meat on a human. It's mostly bone so why bother intentionally attacking us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I gave out about it in the "what have you watched recently" thread so I'll put it here as well. The Blues Brothers. It's just not funny, I've never got it - a lot of shouting and running around, some good music but no real plot. Yet so many people love it.

Continuing the Dan Akroyd theme, I rewatched Ghostbusters over Xmas and it hasn't aged very well IMO and relies way too heavily on Bill Murray insulting people, but it does at least have a plot (and to annoy people further I'm going to say I thought female reboot wasn't as bad as many people said).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Saw Ghostbusters 2 recently and Bill Murray really comes across as a çunt (more than usual). Not amazing but still enjoyed it and they are mostly for kids at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah, I've seen loads of articles recently with shark footage taken from drones above beaches in San Diego, it looks like they are mostly ignoring people.

• Advertisement

I am a fan of Ray Charles .... like the Blues Brothers for that and other music .... it is the music not the film content that makes this ... the film itself is poor imv saved by great music ...

I mentioned Ghostbusters already ... I agree ... it is poor and way too comedic ... should have been a serious horror film/Blade Runner cross imv ... Blade Runners become Ghostbusters and Replicants are now ghosts ... I remember the female reboot was slated ... with those hating that and praising the original ... well the female reboot as you said is not as bad as is painted and the original was never as good as some claim ...

Advertisement