Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated and disappointing films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Close encounters of the third kind is another celebrated movie I don’t like on any level and I like most Spielberg movies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

It's 100% certain Gladiator 2 will be rubbish when compared to Gladiator. My pick for overratted film would be the Exorcist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Plotwise Avatar was just a rehash of dancing with wolves but at the time it offered a half decent spectacle, like Titanic it ticked important boxes on the box office checklist. True lies was also a good film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Wolf of Wall st is awful, it’s three hours of debauchery involving completely charmless and uninteresting characters, the guy who dicaprio plays wasn’t even a particularly noteworthy Wall Street player , numerous cases of fraud on the street down the years , no reason why Jordan Belfort deserved a picture

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shank Williams

Gtfo anyone who mentioned Miami Vice- modern classic and by far Colin Farells best role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Shank Williams

Pretty much any Wes Anderson movie- find the unbearable- well found the Royal Tenenbaums unbearable and that’s supposed to be his best

Banshees of insherin - desperate stuff

mission impossible recent flicks- load of shite built around 1 or 2 decent stunts you’ve seen a million times in the publicity build up- the Brian de Palma original cruise movie is the best still

daniel craig Bond movies- nah- well The first one wasn’t bad - rest all shite

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I enjoyed that ... admittedly I much preferred the series though ... which was ahead of its time ... but the Miami Vice film did recapture a lot of what was good in the series ... should have been a few sequels to it to develop it out further ... it is also a series that should be made again as there is always potential for such a series in today's drug world ...

These MI and Bond films get formulaic as they went along ... yes I like a lot of them but agree the first/earlier MI films were best ... same goes for the early Craig Bond films ... although Connery's ones remain by favourite ... you ain't gonna beat From Russia With Love and the like ...

More concerning is the pattern that developed in films lately ... and which Craig's Bond is v much part of ... is the killing off of main characters ... first Han Solo ... then Luke Skywalker ... then Bond ... for me at least it spoilt otherwise passable to enjoyable movies ... as said though earlier Bond = better and the same goes for Star Wars movies ... I know that No Time to Die was supposed to have been made before Covid 19 ... but the plot seems to be a little too close to home to be not inspired by that pandemic ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I recently watched Everything everywhere all at once. I thought it was fairly awful, totally bizarre from start to finish, anything and everything possible in it and no real story to it. Just too weird. More like Nothing nowhere not happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Overrated

The Irishman - awful awful movie, mind numbing boring, long, ropey CGI. Little more than an excuse to get the band back together one last time.

Disappointing

The many saints of Newark - when I heard this was coming out I was excited for years, a new chapter from the sopranos universe. I mean sopranos to me was the greatest show never topped and won't be, I flew to new jersey to watch the finale like.

The movie was just so meh, a few Easter eggs in there but I hoped it would stand out and it was just another generic gangster movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I agree about Wes Anderson films.

I don't get them. Not funny or interesting.

But stars queue up to be involved in them even just for a small role.

I find most modern horror and superhero movies to be shite.

I'm not a cultural snob either and can enjoy a good action movie.

I didn't like "The Raid" and people raved about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭batman_oh

As somebody who grew up loving martial arts and fighting films I thought the Raid sucked. Rubbish repetitive choreography and terrible wire work etc. Tony Jaa's Ong Bak is a billion times better as it's all legit stunts and good fight scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Just had a look through the last 2 pages and the following films are being classed as overrated and some instances ****.

Jaws, The Shining, Taxi Driver, The Deer Hunter, Shawshank and Gladiator.

What has the world come to. Excluding The Deer Hunter, the others would be in my top 10 films of all time and the Deer Hunter would find its way into my Top 20.

Jaws being classed as a poor episode of Baywatch. That has to be a piss take.

What I would agree with was The Irishman and Many Saints of Newark being poor, very poor in my opinion.

Throw ET in there too.

Different generations I'm assuming. It's still a classic in my opinion and would watch it every time it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Parasite is a modern day classic but Everything Everywhere was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I love Batman Begins .... it is a great origin story .... and The Dark Knight is the masterpiece Batman movie .... but I cannot figure out Tenet at all .... I feel it would have been better if it was a straightforward realistic film ... this bullet firing backwards thing distracted from what could have been an enjoyable straight Bond ripoff ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Reading this thread is depressing me🥴😄

Until I saw the deer hunter mentioned (brilliant btw) and I've only ever seen it once on its release, I realised I hadn't seen almost any of the films mentioned.

Last one I saw was the final harry potter because my child wanted to see it and it was the midnight show (good film, great atmosphere I remember).

Over rated - newer star wars films i.e. not the ones with Harrison Ford.

Raging Bull - over rated.

At work. Break over😂 might think of more tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Have you watched Inception and Intersteller? Doesn't get better than that. Two amazing movies.

And then Memento, The Prestige, He revived the Batman movies, and had the recent Oppenheimer. You should watch those if you haven't already.

And whilst you are at it, throw on In Rainbows by Radiohead - start with Reckoner. Great song from a great album!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I have watched all his movies, and didn't particularly enjoy any of them. They leave me cold, and, in my opinion, are all style over substance. Most of his movies seem to be unnecessarily convoluted - seemingly to distract from how little there actually is going on - with characters that I couldn't give a toss about. Dunkirk was dull with bad casting, and that Tenet was just absolute garbage. I'm done watching any of his films after that. Batman was watchable but that's because it's Batman. It's hard to make a really bad Batman film.

No thanks to Radiohead :) Can't stand that whiny little twerp that sings for them, and in general, I don't do introspective posh-boys bands. I was in Oxford last year (where they are from) and couldn't get out of the place fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ok. Fair enough. I'm happy enough with the "style" if it entertains me. I thought Inception and Interstellar were two really good movies. Gets the viewer really engrossed to figure out what is happening. That's good enough for me.

Anyway, for me - I thought The Shining is overrated. Not really a lot to it. Maybe I am missing some under-currents to the film. Been a long time ago since I saw it. Another lesser film which bored me was The Darkest Hour - a film about Winston Churchill. I thought there would be a bit more substance to it considering the material that transpired. But I'm very much in the minority on that one, as it generally got good reviews. Maybe I was having a bad day on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

la la land

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Never 'got' Jaws. Even back then. Completely implausible story and crap special effects. I know it was a different era what with special effects etc and I'd make allowances for that but it was still crap. Watching it nowadays nearly makes you laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Robert Jackson

Top Gun Maverick

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Robert Jackson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 34,611 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I don't think you (or a lot of folks giving out about that film) were ultimately the target audience. It's basically an art film disguised as a summer blockbuster. Should have been billed as an arthouse film shown in the likes of the IFI and The Lighthouse only really. I find the idea of folks who usually go to Marvel blockbuster films sitting through all the dialogue in Oppenheimer hilarious.

Completely agree with the above comments on Everything Everywhere all at Once. I actually couldn't make it through the whole film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I have a friend who fancies himself as a bit of a film critic.

Talking to our other friends we think we have his taste down to the following two rules -

Rule 1 - English language film in colour - Awful, Worse if its American.

Rule 2 - Any foreign language file, especially French - A masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It was really bad. Mind you, I didn't like the first one either. Days of Thunder was better than both of them!

Loved The Prestige, Interstellar and Inception.

The Dark Knight is one of my favorite films.

• Advertisement
Advertisement