Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated and disappointing films

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

A star is born..... more like my brain cells died. a vanity project for lady ga ga and bradley cooper with a miserable ending. null points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I agree with you about Elf, and Anchorman and Anchorman 2 are both shite. Lazy writing and lazy performances. "Oh look how zany we are and look at all these celebrities in on the joke." Pathetic. Ferrell's is hit or miss for me, and it's mostly miss these days because he has been phoning in performances for years and relying on his overdone schtick. Having said that I really love Semi-Pro, and The Other Guys, The Campaign and Talledega Nights were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,620 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Grave of the Fireflies was produced by Studio Ghibli, it's just not a Miyazaki film.

It's still a 'proper Ghibli' film. One of their best for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,620 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Dear lord, I have no words.

Always thought that was a Ghibli film even the lowest common denominator could appreciate, apparently I was wrong :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Watched 40 odd minutes of Blade Runner 2049 before switching off, it's just Ryan Gosling wandering around the place with a sour head on him, mind numbing rubbish, not that I only enjoy films with car chases and explosions every 5 minutes, can't stand drawn out indulgent crap like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Am I allowed to say I liked both Daddys Home films?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Definitely with you regarding the phenomenon of Elf over the last number of years. Watched it the other day again (it just happened to be on at the time) and I was shocked at how little substance there is to it. Mostly cheap laughs with little or no context and a flimsy storyline just about holding it all together.

When you strip it all back, Ferrell's over-the-top acting ain't all it's cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Iguarantee

Inception.

Absolute bollocks!

I was a huge fan of Back to the Future when it came out and still have a real soft spot for it, despite its many well documented plot holes.

For whatever reason, I didn't see any of the sequels when they first came out and it was only about five years ago that I got around to catching up with the rest of the franchise.

BTTF 2 really left me cold, and was nowhere near as engaging or charming as the first movie. Did they wait too long before making the follow-up I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya sorry that's what I meant. Getting confused myself there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,042 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can’t agree. Great story, cinematography, excitement and was very dark. Super film.

Maybe I need to watch Gladiator again, but I found it terribly dull

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I remember Anchorman 2 being overhyped by Tubridy with Tubridy all over Ferrel that interview he did with him ... I have never seen Ferrel in a truly good film ... he's overhyped out of proportion by guys like Tubridy is all ...

Another Ryan Tubridy overhype film ... I don't know what some see in this film .... it is absolute rubbish imv ... that song Shallow is terrible and once more overhyped by Tubridy with a few of his pals singing it on his show ... The Greatest Showman is another one .... totally overhyped again by Tubridy ... and should I mention that smutfest called Fifty Shades of Grey .... Tubridy truly has diabolical taste in films ....

PS: I don't think any film mentioned here go under overrated or disappointing films ... they go under total rubbish films ....

The second film was 3-4 years after the first, and part 3 was a year after part 2. First one is a truly stunning film. Had everything. I liked both sequels

Anchorman 2 especially is woeful ... hard to believe it is 10 years old ... 10 years since it was overhyped by Ryan Tubridy ... I remember they planned to do a serious sequel but it was shelved ... about Iraq iirc .... cannot see Ferrell do something straight ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Maybe it would be a better idea to simply stop listening to Ryan Tubridy's film opinions (which is extremely easy to do given he doesn't even work in RTE anymore) if they grate that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

It's been a good while since I watched it but if I recall correctly he plays his character in Stranger Than Fiction pretty much totally straight. Fantastic film too IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s not like every other radio and TV presenter who has a Hollywood star on their show does a forensic deep dive into their latest movie and the quality of the acting. Its promotion work.

Cribbing about Tubridy seems to have become the second most popular post type on this site after middle-aged men complaining about “wokeness”.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

For a film that was made in 1968 it still looks futuristic too. Of course the real year 2001 was nothing like Arthur C. Clarke or Stanley Kubrick envisioned it, but if we take away the title the movie still relatively adds up to a convincing futuristic vision of 2000 whatever.

As a kid when I first saw it, I was baffled. Kid me was expecting a Star Wars type adventure. Instead I got a philosophical musing on the dangers of over reliance on intelligent technology and an alien creation of mankind theory. My tiny little brian just wasn't ready for that. In later years it became a favourite though, even if I do think that it could do with some cutting here and there.

I can certainly understand why some people wouldn't like it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can't say that I'm a huge fan of Studio Ghibli or anime in general. The Mrs. really likes it though. But yeah, 'Spirited Away' is fantastic.

I was probably at the same IFC showing as Coogy, but had a very different reaction.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Lovers of '2001..' tend to have contempt for '2010..', with some critics calling it "Ten past eight"!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Deadpool is very good, but Deadpool 2 is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

Can't agree. Thought it was formulaic and predictable, with Pacino as usual chewing up all round him. It's sequel (of sorts) Carlito's Way wasn't entirely flawless, but it was far superior to Scarface.

Had the misfortune to catch Raging Bull on the Beeb last night. Absolute mind-numb fest, with De Niro gone round the bend on method - in other words, repeating his lines many times in a row. Lots of drawn-out, tiresome domestic (abuse) scenes interspersed with short, sharp clips of his fights. Raging Dull would be a far more apt title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭McFly85

Saw Spirited Away when it came out here 20 years ago and instantly fell in love with it. The visuals, the setting, the music, I’m still in awe of it all. Will definitely be watched over Christmas!

Got me in to Ghibli films too. Don’t think they’ve hit that high since then but some of the older films are great. Love Porto Rosso too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

No.

And you should take a good hard look at your life choices.....

🙂

Whisper it now.....

is Robert De Niro overrated as an actor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭santana75

I dont think so. I mean Raging Bull and the Deer hunter alone are testaments to his talents as an actor. Some of his output in recent years has been very dodgy to say the least though so I can see how it could be said that he's over rated.

You're correct. It was so tedious, and it ended Russell Crowe's career in a way, because since he won the Oscar for it all he's done is sleepwalk his way through roles, occasionally affecting an English accent when he has to play an "important" character. He also let himself go physically. Ridley Scott is a very hit and miss director too, but mostly misses. Visually great, but lots of style over substance, and movies and characters that leave me cold. Alien is a classic but he had a great idea/script by Dan O'Bannon to work with. Plus I much prefer Aliens.

• Advertisement

I like Scarface but it is really a horrible movie with horrible characters who have no redeeming features. It was brave of De Palma to make it like that, rather than glamorise crime and criminals like most gangster movies do. This was the American dream as the American nightmare. Because it's Pacino in it, he makes it a better film, but there is nothing to his character, no charm, no honour, he's just a rat who has learned how to survive. It's a very funny movie in the right light :)

Advertisement