Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated and disappointing films

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Avatar: From a technical POV, a gamechanger (For better or worse). As a movie? I was never gone on it. As has been said so many times by so many people: Dances With Aliens

Titanic: Again, from a technical POV, great. But as a movie, completely flat and cliché. There was only one tiny scene I liked in it: The look of joy and wonder on a little girl's face as she sees the distress signals being fired while surrounded by disaster.

Forrest Gump: Once again, from a technical POV, amazing at the time. But, I don't know if it was me being in a bad mood when I saw it first but I HATED (And still HATE) the message of that movie: Everyone seems to think that it's "Oh anything is possible". For me, what I took was "Do what you are told. Follow orders and you will succeed. Rebel and you'll die of AIDS". I never met anyone else who took the same meaning I got from it so I think I was just in a bad mood. I appreciate the cinematography and pacing and music etc but hate the message.

The Searchers: Can't agree there. Thought (And still think) it's a masterpiece. Especially when you consider when it was made. Making the protagonist and most famous cowboy in the world a racist bad guy? Ballsy

Ghostbusters: I have to disagree here too. I loved Ghostbusters (And still do enjoy the first one). That cast? At that time? My God. All it was missing was (thankfully now) Chevy Chase.

I do think The Dark Knight is a better film than Batman Begins but I thought the ending was rushed. It should just have been the corruption of Dent by The Joker and 3rd film could have been about Dent. Having said that, I wasn't initially gone on The Dark Knight Rises (Film 3). Thought it was over-long and I had spotted the twist very quickly. BUT it was a much better film once I rewatched it. Not as tight as the others but Joseph Gordon Levitt was as excellent as I remembered (Just for the love of GOD take out that "Oh you should go by your middle name" line. PLEASE) - Well all the cast was excellent and even Bane was understandable (Well, for a Nolan film anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,636 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I never really put much thought into whether or not Forrest Gump had a message. I don't think the story of Jenny was a "rebel" though but rather a damaged individual with a very troubled childhood.

I always just watched it as Gump being a sort of avatar in a dramatisation of Reeling in the Years.

And, in fairness, that seems to be the general consensus. Just me being in a bad mood/whatever the first time I saw it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

I said it before and will say it again ... Spider-man Homecoming/Far From Home/No Way Home ... just looked all of them up ... all score high on RT et al ... sometimes over 90% ... while not awful these films are not imv anyway near as good as the first 3 Spider-Man films .... and I don't see that much diff between these 3 latest Spider-Man live action films and the likes of Batman Forever ... which is rated way less ...

I don't get why some films get slated and others get rated high ... for example Superman IV The Quest for Peace and Batman and Robin are rated often as the worst of the worst superhero films of all time ... granted they are poor ... but I don't see that much gap between them and those 3 recent Spider-Man films ... I'd put them 3 films as equal to Batman Forever or Superman 3 ... which imv are not all that far behind Superman 4 or Batman & Robin ....

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

I need to rewatch this again as I have not seen it in years .... overall an interesting film and idea for one ... will always associate it with the Christmas eve 1997 hurricane .... had it recorded and had planned to watch that evening until the power went off !! ... got to watch that late December or early January ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I thought Mad Max Fury road was fairly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Me too.

I didn't get it but it was on lots of film of the year lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

I watched The Blues Brothers a few years ago and couldn’t believe how bad it was, a total mess of a film.

Given the era and some of the people involved, I’d be pretty confident that there was a lot of cocaine taken during the making of that movie.

I enjoyed Mad Max Fury Road ... but it was not very original ... just a clever combination of the first Max sequel from 1981 and Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale ... Mad Max 2 and the series of The Handmaid's Tale are better imv though ....

Only good thing about that film was the music ...

• Advertisement

As sequels go it was one of the better ones ... big budget action film and revisit to a classic franchise ... I cannot help think though Mad Max 2 did the same thing with less of a budget back in 1981 ... and The Handmaid's Tale TV series did the rest better .... because that is what MMFR is .... Mad Max goes to post apocalypse Gilead ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I liked Mad Max and the sequel. Didn’t like Thunderdone. But Fury road from what I remember it was just a load of crazy big crowds roaring in a cave/cliff for the first while, then there was a 1hr long drive through the desert where the crazy roaring continued accompanied by lots of attempted jumping from vehicle to vehicle. I can’t even remember how it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ha Ha. I'm completely with you on that one. It was just one big chase. Nothing really happening. Some dude playing an electric guitar on a truck was supposed to be cool. I'm the same - can't remember how it finished. I don't know why it was built up so highly.

I like Mad Max 2 best ... and like the other 2 of the original trio ... Thunderdome does divide people but I like it for what it is .... Fury Road I like but not as much as the others ... I would have to say I like older films over modern ones ... but as mod films go Fury Road is one of the better ones ... and it does not have some motormouth saying the f word over and over for the sake of it ....

The main flaw with Fury Road was it had no story much .... and was too samey all the way through ... one big chase ... I do not see the point of some of the characters like the guitar fella ... the other flaw is the film was just a mish mash of Mad Max greatest hits ... chase setpieces and more in the way of guns too ... a Mad Max origin story would have been better and different in my view ... Mad Max 2 may have been the best Mad Max film ... possibly the best action film too ... but Mad Max 1 maybe had the world more interesting to explore as post apocalypse 'Westerns' set in deserts have been done to death at this stage ....

Discussion on Mad Max reminds me of another thing .... Steel Dawn .... I am pretty sure this thing is considered to be generally very poor but I remember picking it up in the local video store after watching all of the 3 original Max films and wanting more .... it had Patrick Swayze in it as a swordfighter .... and it was a total disappointment I remember .... more Karate Kid in the sand than Mad Max ....

There also was one called Blood of Heroes .... a Thunderdome ripoff focusing on Thunderdome like organised fights in the desert ... it probably was poor but I remember enjoying it better than that Steel Dawn thing ....

You mean Salute Of The Jugger?(It was actually called both depending on the video store you went to). Ah the early 90s. When all you needed for a Sci-Fi film was to drive 30 mins into the desert and start your film with:

In 1998 the oil ran out. Governments collapsed. Survivors called it "The Fall". In this lawless End-Days, justice is brought by roving warriors known as STEEL FISTS. They are judges. They are Juries. They are Executioners. This is the "AGE OF THE STEEL FISTS"

Back to the overrated films? Recently watched The Creator...... Meh. Once again, technically amazing but it brought nothing new. MAYBE it's because I watch anime and mech is often such an integral part of a large portion of anime genres (Although I prefer more realistic slice-of-life and fantasy genres). But yeah a lot of the movie seemed to be about the "radical" idea that robots and humans can get along and there were no surprises in the movie.

Never knew it was called 2 things ... juggers were the fighters in it ... kind of Thunderdome from Mad Max 3 done as a 'sport' IIRC ... it was enjoyable enough IIRC .. much better than Steel Dawn ...

Funny The Creator is mentioned ... a friend of mine loaned it to me and intend to watch it tomorrow ... my friend would not say if it was good or bad ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Tbh I prefer the alternate version of Dark Night Rises available on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enOHraf3LEk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It was bad. As in terrible. Strictly speaking I cant really say for sure, I turned it off after about half an hour, 40 minutes, it was THAT bad, but it might have rallied after that who knows.

It was the biggest discrepancy I've seen in a movie in a long time. Discrepancy between what they call 'production value' as in quality of sets and effects etc and the absolutely unbelievable, childish, hambone, simpleton storyline. It was like watching one of those children cartoons you accidentally zap into when you turn on the telly at 8 o clock into morning on a Sunday - only with real actors, a multimillion dollar set and JJ Abrams effects. Unfortunately the sh1t story outweighed the special effects, unwatchable.

• Advertisement

I didn't get to watch it today ... after reading this I went for something else instead!! ... a lot of modern action and sci fi films are nowhere near as good as ones made 30-45 years back ... you can't beat the likes of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Mad Max 2, the original Star Wars, the original Terminators .... further back again the original Sean Connery Bonds .... all these had something modern films incl sequels to these franchises lack ..

That said and done The Creator cannot be any worse than most of the modern superhero films out there ... all them extended universe Marvel and DC films are v poor ... especially the ones that mix different superheroes together ... only modern day ... meaning post Dark Knight Trilogy era ... superhero film I like is The Batman ...

Well, again, I personally didn't think it was terrible. Just meh. The effects etc were top notch but that's to be expected these days. And it was good to see a non-franchise movie. It's just that it didn't do anything new: Prologue ripping scenes straight from The Animatrix; brain-jacking; "Where is the line between man and machine?" etc.

So, IMHO, not terrible. Just boring and disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭McFly85

The creator was awful.

From the word go, nothing about it made sense. From the muddled portrayal of AI to the chosen one narrative to the American death ray that seemingly stalks South East Asia.

There are a ton of interesting ways to create a story about AI and the effect is has on humanity but it didn’t do any of that. It just looked very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,979 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Me and the Mrs. must be the only ones who thought 'The Creator' was good.

😄

Advertisement