Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Dolphin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

true. even if the city mild weather figure dropped to 300km instead of 385km (which it won't, it would likely be higher) it would still probably cover a weeks commute for the average car driver in ireland - a mix of motorway and city driving lets say (44.8km per day - CSO figure from 2019 - petrol drivers only average 33.1km per day).

at around 30 cents per kWh (for example) to charge the battery at home would cost roughly €12 versus circa €40 for petrol to cover the same distance in my 1.0 litre ATECA.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I presume this is something you get a feel for after a few months of EV ownership but I have to admit I'm finding it quite difficult to gauge how far you can actually go on a single charge based on the vagueness of the range figures....there's quite the difference between the best and worst case scenarios of 180km and 385km!

If the 180km worst case range for motorway driving is also based on the assumption that you'll travel at lower than the speed limit of an Irish motorway, is it possible the quoted "worst case" is actually over-estimated for normal Irish driving conditions? Or would driving at 120km/h have less impact on battery performance than the temperature variance of -10°C  and a more normal Irish 5-15°C ?

TBH, I'm looking at this a few years early as it's unlikely I'd be in the market for a new car next year. Realistically I'm probably hoping to pick up a Seal / Dolphin or something similar second-hand in 2025/2026. I'm just trying to educate myself on how I should view range figures. The most common long journey I do (half a dozen times a year or so) is about 230km with probably 200k of that being motorway so that's kind of the minimum range I'd find acceptable for me to switch to an EV. Anything longer than that is going to be a 3 or 4 hour drive where a break to charge wouldn't be as annoying since I'd be stopping for a coffee or a bite to eat anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think you may to be fair overly concentrating on the range. You'd get a good realistic feel for the use of the models by getting in seeing what the vehicle it's telling you and having some proper test drives.

People myself included can get mirred down in stats and facts.

Suffice to say heavier vehicles needs over 75kwh battery to be usable for decent ranges. Lighter vehicles may get away with smaller battery sizes. Realistically the Dolphin is a city and suburb commute vehicle. Wheres as the bigger brother seal would be a distance commute.

Drive more cars, see what the dash is telling you get a feel for them.

the seal has significantly more range and could do that return journey in mild weather without stopping (if you didn't drive like a maniac)...but a short 15-20 minute stop to stick another 150km into the battery at 50kW would probably be needed for a good chunk of the year.

driving at 120kph will increase the rate the battery discharges...you will get there quicker but will arrive with less SOC.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

@listermint TBH, Range is the key determinant for me on any purchase of an EV as, to my knowledge, it's the only real drawback of an EV when compared to an ICE car these days. Overnight charging wouldn't be an issue at the destination but I wouldn't have the patience for having to stop and re-charge half way to Galway especially when there could be a long queue for access to a charger etc.

@ColemanY2K, yeah the Seal would definitely be the preference as the range definitely seems to meet my needs and it seems to be a nicer car all around. The talk of the Dolphin starting from around €25k had piqued my interest though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As stated the Dolphin is a suburb city car. If you're traveling to Galway its not really that.

The vast majority of new 75kwh plus vehicles fit your bracket use case hence I said you should not be concentrating throughly on range more on driving vehicles that fit this battery size.

Range isn't a concern if driving a vehicle of that size to Galway the odd time and charging it there. You'll get hung up on that too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you want to do that 230kms in all conditions without stopping look at something with a 58kwh battery or above, which is what the id3 has as a benchmark.

I'd do that no problem in my 58kwh car.

For even longer journeys look at 77kwh battery cars. But if the cars are bigger and heavier than 58kwh car, it will be slightly less efficient, but range should still be higher.

Be tight enough in the dolphin at times I'd say in smaller battery

I've just travelled 43km on 100kph and 120kph roads this evening. I set cruise control to the respective speed limit and overtook 10 cars (3 on the 100kph and 7 cars on M8) and was overtaken by 2 (on M8). Those 10 were doing well below the speed limit...at least 10kph below it.

The point I'm trying to make is that the Dolphins estimated highway range as discussed earlier today is eminently possible given the majority of drivers do not drive to the limit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Has anyone seen this car advertised for the €25k that the reviewers are quoting?

The brochure lists it as €29k after grants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I think €29k is lower of the two specs with larger battery available now.

The smaller battery ones are coming next year and lowest spec will be €25 (plus 2k MSL charges)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nobby said in his review 9nly the top two options will be available for the first few months. I'd imagine the price is going to be €25k + €2k delivery charges.

Yes so €27k. Why do the reviewers ignore the MSL charge?

Same as the seal. They didn’t bring the base version. So it’s a €27k car and not a €25k car as the reviews state

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭grumpygit

Probably because MSL are not very transparent with their pricing. This is from their brochure for the seal and no mention of delivery costs.

I recently got a written quote for the seal that doesn't mention delivery costs. Will I be hit with an extra 2k when I go back to them ?

Yes 100% you will. Unless that written quotation states €46k for the RWD or €51k for the AWD.

Quotes me 54025 for AWD and then deducts the seai grant etc, no mention of delivery costs. Will be fairly pissed if they now charge me an extra 2k

€51,786 is the on the road price for the seal AWD.

Correct , that is made up from the subsidised retail price of 49836 (as quoted on their brochure I screenshot above) and the 1950 delivery charges. My problem or good luck is they quoted me the retail price of 54025 in that brochure and then took the deductions off and didn't add any delivery charge. Which brings me back to their lack of transparency in their pricing. If there are delivery charges they should be highlighted in their brochure, After a few months we are still discussing what the actual price is....it's crazy

There’s no discussion on pricing. It’s clear as day as per my original posts in that thread from a few months back.

€46k odd RWD

€51k odd AWD

• Advertisement

And if you look at nialldinho snapshot higher up this page, from a brochure for Seal AWD it shows delivery charges of 1950 and VRT relief of 2689 giving total price of 51786 whereas the current brochure for the seal on the Irish BYD site makes no mention of delivery but gives the VRT relief of 689 compared to 2689 and ends up quoting 49836. Maybe it's just me but that does not seem like very transparent pricing to me . My own quote is even more confusing but I don't want to go into that here but it does not correlate to the 51786 mentioned or the 49836 on the seal brochure.

MSL will also include another nearly 800 for GAP insurance and paint/upholstery treatment

The big thing here that I see, the Seal is supposed to be the Model 3 beater or at least competition. It’s more expensive currently and that’s the temp discount price of the Seal. How much will it be after this temp discount phase?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

it will be optional, so they wont be adding another 800 on unless you want GAP insurance and paint/upholstery treatment

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

Sorry, should have said it's optional but they have included it in any quotes I've got.

In fairness they didnt in mine. At least it’s not all underhanded from them in BYD north Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭djan

Comes as standard in BYD North and you've to specify for it to be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭finno

That must be new, as when I bought my atto 3 they ask if I wanted it when I was signing for the car

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭djan

Not sure but that was the case for me 2 weeks ago. Definitely something to watch out for as it's a waste of money.

Advertisement