Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Dolphin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭djan

Kia/Hyundai are definitely a value proposition brand. They do not compete with the premium brands marketing luxury etc. The fact that you don't consider them a budget car off the bait just proves their progress. I would liken them to the likes of Skoda and Toyota, solid no thrills motoring.

MG is more budget orientated but even looking at the likes of MG4 you can see the development very similair to K/H so the EU players really have their work cut out. Hopefully there will be no market-intervention to screw over the customer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kia EV 6 is 100% positioned as premium

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DrPsychia

I went for a test drive in the Design spec.

I was amazed how much interior space there was for this size of car. They really stretched the wheelbase and thus there was a lot of legroom in the rear, I felt the seats were reasonably comfortable. Electric seats are have good adjustment but there's no height adjustment on the passenger seat of either design or comfort spec which is a bummer. I wasn't happy with the regenerative breaking and there was not much difference between standard or high. I don't understand why manufacturers can't implement one-pedal mode like Tesla. The brake pedal felt quite soft and didn't inspire much confidence compared to an ID3 or MG4. There was lots of wheel spin, even in normal mode so it's not good at managing traction, I felt the MG4 was far superior in this aspect but it is RWD. I didn't check what tyres were fitted. I would definitely fit some good Michelins after the factory tyres were worn.

The dolphin is advertised as 200hp but it doesn't feel as nippy as the MG4 long range.

The boot is a decent size with the underfloor cover removed.

Servicing done every 12 months/20k kilometres but comes with 2 years free servicing, salesman said its mostly vehicle checks for the warranty. I'm still baffled how manufacturers apart from Tesla fleece customers with servicing on electric cars. I guess they have to keep dealers happy. The salesman said unknown how much servicing will cost in the future.

Battery/vehicle warranty is great and industry leading.

The interior felt well screwed together and material were nice, how it holds up when its driven on some rough Irish roads and hits a few potholes is an unknown. However, the interior is undoubtedly far superior to an ID3 or MG4.

The pedestrian warning sound is too loud and needs to be lowered. There's another music external sound that can be chosen instead of the regular sound, it's so stupid and irritating I have no idea how it was allowed to pass the designer stage, as Bjorn Nyland says its silly Chinese design.

I didn't get a chance to test the wired apple carplay because I didn't bring a cable with me. The default nav system is bad. Audio quality was decent given the price of the car. Infotainment system felt reasonably snappy.

The "Build your Dreams" slogan is incredibly tacky and needs to go, for me it completely ruins the rear of the car. They're deleting it from the 2024 Atto3, this is build into the light bar of the Dolphin but it shouldn't be that hard to remove from the manufacturing stage.

No rain sensor like the atto3 but hopefully they will eventually include it in the coming years.

As expected, the air-conditioning system was blowing cold air even at 27c when ran for a good amount of time. Really needs recalibrating with a software update. It appears to be a continuing problem with Chinese cars.

There's an amazing amount of tech. The camera quality of the 360 system is amazing.

Headlight performance is unknown.

I felt the blind spot warning indicator light in the mirrors was very dim compared to other cars I've driven so I couldn't really see it working in my peripheral vision during daytime driving, they need to fit a brighter indicator or adjust the light output via a software update. For dusk/night time driving I'm sure it's fine.

I thought the noise level was good but hard to get a good idea on a short test drive.

When driving I ensured the speed warning function was disabled but it still gave me an audible warning, I done a deep dive into the menus but couldn't fine another option to disable it.

4 years AA roadside assistance included.

The ID3 is far better looking car but for the price, space and tech this Dolphin is hard to beat.

Design spec: €33,142 OTR @5.9% HP

Comfort spec: €31,268 OTR @5.9% HP

The main difference between the design and comfort was the sunroof which adds to the spacious feeling, and also dual tone paint job.

Thanks for the detailed write up. How long were you able to test it for?

Some reviews commented on the brake regen being done in a way to simulate normal ICE driving with the first part of brake pedal using regen and the brakes only engaging once a threshold is passed. Wheel spin would have a lot to do with the probable ECO tyres which sacrifice grip for efficiency so hard to judge.

The pedestrian warning sound is well documented and will be mandatory in EU going ahead. Thankfully, it is pretty easy to remove or quieten with a bit of DIY.

Interesting to see interior compared to the ID3 which is a much more expensive car (and the MG4 to a lesser extent) especially when looking at the specsheet. Shame the exterior is a bit of a let down when compared to the MG4 IMO.

The main negatives of the BYDs is the sensitive driving aids especially lane departure, how did you find that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I see MSL are sticking with their rip off €2k 'delivery' gouge on top on the advertised brochure price with the Dolphin as well as the Atto3 - and bear in mind metallic paint is standard so that's not part of it!

• Advertisement

I don't know of another brand apart from Tesla that are selling for the brochure price. Toyota, VW, MG, Audi, BMW are all at it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I get that, it's the magnitude of the gouge I have the issue with. The standard delivery rip off fee is €800 - 1000 yet MSL are lumping a whopping €2k onto the BYDs (and also including some crappy service pack). Seems to me that MSL decided that BYD's 'value' proposition was so strong that they'd exploit it by adding increased profit and hope noone notices the metallic is a free option (IIRC their Atto3 price listed included 'price includes metallic paint' or words to that effect). Problem is the price isn't really *that* cheap after the €2k is added on....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Unfortunately that’s true. But, I say this with a big but, BMW have kinda copped on. You can go into the configuration menu online now and they have an OTR price.

Now the but, if you go to order that exact car, select your preferred dealer, I cannot confirm if the dealer then adds their charge to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

I had it for about 40 minutes in medium traffic.

I would describe the regen as quite a bit weaker than 50% of its full breaking force when on high. I did test the brakes forcefully and still thought it was too soft for my liking, maybe it's just an isolated issue with that demo model. There was a software update that needed to be installed when I was driving so perhaps that might have fixed a few things.

They were probably eco tyres judging by the grip. Had a look online and the tyre size seems to be 195/60/r16 whereas the MG4 long range is 215/50/r17 so that would partly explain the lack of grip and poor traction in the dry test drive condition.

I know the Pedestrian warning is mandated but just felt it was a few decibels too loud.

I thought the lane keeping aid was a bit intrusive but not OTT like when I first drove the MG4. The active cruise worked well.

I totally agree that they messed up the exterior design of the car. If it looked more like the ID3 or the Atto/Seal it would be a a major hit.

The Dolphins exterior reminds me of marmite or olives, you either accept the taste is tolerable or you will downright hate it.

I'm surprised that BYD haven't ripped off matrix headlights yet for their higher end models like the Seal. Hopefully it will become available in the future as factory standard fitted. We need some manufacturer to make it an affordable optional extra or standard fit

EDIT: I forgot to mention the rear wiper is comically small, they definitely need to make it larger

• Advertisement

I agree it's excessive gouging, despite that when you look at the closest competition which is the MG4 long range it's still the better value proposition if you value more interior space, nicer interior finish, better technology package and better overall warranty. I'd love to know what type of margins they're making without the gouging, I wonder what established brand dealers make?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,611 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Kia are a mass market brand just like VW, Ford, Renault, Peugeot, Mazda, Nissan ,Toyota,Opel etc.

MG are a budget brand. BYD are a budget brand. Citroen are going back to being a budget brand and FIAT the same I would say.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

That’s exactly the point I way making, the car is sold upmarket but the brand isn’t

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

True, when I see one, i think its the 2023 equivalent of a Russian Lada.

Has anyone else done a test drive or considered the Dolphin? Seems like it ticks a lot of boxes but will say the dual tone colours being forced on the higher spec is a bit annoying.

Ms

So you think a Kia EV6 is the 2023 equivalent of a Russian Lada. Jeez if you think that about the EV6 what do you think about the BYD ATTO3 or SEAL or even a VW ID3? Must be bad. Maybe they are Yugos.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

This looks reasonably priced, not as obnoxiously ugly as many EVs (the Leaf still being the only car on the market that would actually make me choose a Multipla ahead of it) and crucially imo the advertised range is high enough that I'd trust it to get me from North County Dublin to Galway without needing to stop and charge.

It's the first EV I've actually checked the dealers site for pricing. I'll still probably wait for a second hand one unless my ancient Golf gives up the ghost in the next 6 months but if I, as someone who's been sceptical of electric vehicles since they first hit the market (based on range and outlandish prices e.g. Teslas being comparably priced to a decent Mercedes/BMW ICE) am starting to look at them seriously, I reckon these could hit Octavia levels of popularity in the Irish market.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think some people have missed Kia's attempts to move upmarket, it's been visible since the launch of the Stinger in 2018. I guess if your only looking at 15 year old cars then you'll have a very different perception of Kia's design and quality.

As far as I know it was predicted pressure from Chinese brands that led the Koreans to move into the more premium space. I'd class them as sitting in the VW/Toyota quality at the moment, though VW seem confused and don't know where they want to be.

Ms

Yes I agree. It's more than likely people looking at Kias from a decade or more ago that are still stuck in the past about them.

As far as I know it was predicted pressure from Chinese brands that led the Koreans to move into the more premium space. I'd class them as sitting in the VW/Toyota quality at the moment, though VW seem confused and don't know where they want to be.

Yes I would say that was certainly one of there incentives but I think they have always had big goals anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭derekreilly

Irish press launch today so going to see lots of coverage over the comings days. I focused on the Comfort Trim.

Also revealed the prices for the 2 entry level trims coming in Q2 next year with the smaller battery (44.9kWh) and prices starting at €25,570

Aiming to have around 15 dealers around Ireland. Wexford and Waterford announced last week with Limerick, Galway and Sligo nearing contract signing.

2 more colours also on the way too with solid black and solid white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jesus €25K seems a great price. Would be a decent option for a second car for many people.

What kind of real world range would a 44.9kWh battery have in one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It would be a good option for a main car for plenty of people too.

Cars have got much bigger and a lot of people don't need one the size they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Real Range Estimation between 180 - 385 km

City - Cold Weather *255 km

Highway - Cold Weather *180 km

Combined - Cold Weather *215 km

City - Mild Weather *385 km

Highway - Mild Weather *230 km

Combined - Mild Weather *295 km

Plenty of range for the majority of commuters.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Are those figures in anyway realistic though? I note the highway speed assumes a steady 110km/h whereas 120km/h would be more normal for Ireland and the Cold/Mild weather are real worst case/best case scenarios rather than a typical drizzly 15 degrees or so Irish day...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,666 ✭✭✭✭listermint

120kmph is normal for many 100 to 110 is very normal for many others . Going on my driving there's a huge amount that don't want to hit the top speed limit.

I'd say the figures are fairly accurate for the battery tech in it and the size tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

yes. most vehicles on irish motorways are driven at less than 120kph, some are driving dangerously too slow(i know as i have cruise control set at 120kph on the M8 5 days out of 7).

the note at the bottom of the link reads...

"Indication of real-world range in several situations. Cold weather: 'worst-case' based on -10°C and use of heating. Mild weather: 'best-case' based on 23°C and no use of A/C. For 'Highway' figures a constant speed of 110 km/h is assumed. The actual range will depend on speed, style of driving, weather and route conditions".

The worst case rarely happens in ireland so the range would - for the vast majority of the time - be better than noted in the worst case (-10 degrees with heating).

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭grennscreener

not to mention the extra power required (irrespective of weather its a battery or ICE'd) to get you the extra 10kph from 110 to 120 is really not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Best case won't happen either, you won't be sitting in car with no aircon on at 23 degrees outside

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I just meant the smaller battery as a smaller run around rather than the size of the car.

Advertisement