Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes if 30,000 per month just from a podcast is pitiful....

That's a fairly Conservative 0.01 percent conversion rate. I'd assume its more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I seriously doubt he’s making €30k a month from podcasts. But fair play if he is.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Am I going insane, or is .01% of 1,000,000, times €3 not €300?

Anyway, if he's making good money, he's well entitled to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You said 'do the maths'. I did.

0.01% is one ten thousandth. (It's one hundredth of one hundredth). One ten thousandth of a million is one hundred. Multiply that one hundred by three euro, that's €300 per month. Or about one tenth average industrial wage IIRC.

Cmon lads... over a million listeners per podcast. Conservative. 0.01 percent of those listener's is 10,000 people , 10,000 people giving a cup of coffee or pint price let's go Conservative again that's 3 euro. 3 euro times 10000 people is 30000 euro . Times 12 months.

And advertising promos aren't Included in that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

No, 0.01% of a million is one hundred. This is basic maths.

I think you mean 'one percent'. You are writing '0.01 percent' which is one hundredth on one percent.

If you’re a patreon member you can look up how much he earns. Here’s the top 50, he’s not on here. No.40 earns $27k a month

they/them/theirs

That's by public earnings. Its not patreon company data though is it ?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Those stats are over 3 years old. He didn't have remotely the amount of listeners then. So they're pretty faulty and out of date.

how many people outside ireland listen to him? has he ever mentioned?

i suspect the figures of a million are quite inflated; how do they count a listen? is it someone listening to an episode for over five minutes, say? or even one minute? you can be damn sure it's not a count of the number of listens to an entire episode that made it all the way to the end.

for example; i listened to an episode recently in fits and starts. got about a minute in and something distracted me, and then i started again and listened to it in probably three stints. is that counted as a single listen, or three, or four?

if half his listenership were in ireland, and we were to take the claim of one million at face value - that's one tenth of the population listening to him. to compare, RTE claim that 872,000 people watched the all ireland football final in 2022.

Majority of listeners are not in this country.

His book went number 1 in the UK. Doesn't happen for randomers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I released two singles during the summer and will treat myself to a pint out of the 7.50 I've earned from streaming 😂😂

Just don't tell the band or ill have to split 5 ways

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think it was a couple years ago he was saying that he his podcast had been listened to 30M times. And that was around the time of his 200 episode if I remember correctly.

I could be about by a couple million people or something and have the number of episodes wrong as well but I remember thinking it probably equated to about 100K-150K listeners per episode.

I know in Covid he was talking about the impact in losing gigs and that he effectively needed those to stay above water and while you wouldn't blame him if he's a bit economical with the truth there, I'd say the idea that he's making a killing from this is more imagination than reality.

He has said that his Rubber Bandits partner, Mr Chrome, has a 'real job', if this was easy money, you'd image he'd still be in the game.

What's making a killing though?

He's definitely earning very good money from it. Very good money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,884 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Good money from just a few hours of waffle a week…. Plus other revenue streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Still waiting for examples of this advice dispensing which you say is documented "all over the internet". So far you offered nothing but a single 1 minute clip in which he did no such thing. And multiple users here explained how he was doing no such thing in that clip (most of whom you ignored and have yet to reply to).

Its "all over" the internet according to you. Surely finding a few examples of it can not be that hard? Does it not strike you as odd that you complain about him doing something over and over again yet are seemingly unable to find a single example of him doing it?

And that's before pointing out that even if you did find him doing it - you have not offered a single argument as to why he or anyone else should not be doing it except this "appeal to authority" fallacy you keep clinging to? You seem to have a notion that only someone with a qualification in a given field should be offering advice or ideas in that field. That is a ridiculous notion to hold. Especially in a country where getting access to such professionals is difficult and expensive for many.

Worse you are going against the very professionals that you are pretending should be the only ones espousing on the topic. In that - as users have pointed out multiple times on the thread already too - many of them have not only praised Blindboy and what he is doing in that field but actually use his podcasts as supporting reference material for their patients. So comically the laugh out loud result of this is that you are putting such professionals up on a pedestal to bash Blindboy with but entirely ignoring anything those professionals actually do or say! You must be so flexible to be able to twist yourself in such knots.

And yet somehow you are not all over the "Personal Issues" and "Relationship Issues" forums here where people with even less qualification and experience than Blindboy are dispensing advice all the time. Usuaully with none of the disclaimers and caution that Blindboy demonstrates in his podcasts. On mental health topics. On Dietry topics. On marital and relationship topics. On parenting topics. And much much more. But oh lordy lordy I guess none of those people get any MONEY for it. Which seemingly is your ACTUAL issue here.

Which once again suggests what I said many times on the thread before. Which is that certain people - and my suspicion is strongly that you are one of them - dislike the person first and retrospectively seek reasons to justify that second. You are floundering to make your accusations stick here. Both in relevance and substance.

He’s earning a living by providing something people want to pay for. I don’t pay for it because I don’t want it.

Whether it’s waffle is subjective, but why shouldn’t he earn a living the way he does? You seem to be looking for problems, it’s weird. What have you actually got agains the lad and why?

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's gas that making money from podcasts is the worst thing in the world when someone like Blindboy, someone who seems to have good intentions does it, but when toxic wretch like Peterson does it, it's perfectly fine.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

If his podcast is listened to by over a million people - and those people have actively sought to listen to it, unlike say Joe Duffy where many people would just be listening to whatever is on radio 1 - those figures are colossal. More than three times what the Joe Duffy show is.

Peterson, of course it’s fine 🤷‍♂️, A qualified and award winning psychologist, an experienced doctor of psychology, a teacher of psychology in one of if not the top seats of learning on the planet, Harvard where he was also a researcher , and the University of Toronto… 🙂. He’s practiced clinical psychology successfully for years…ffs.

Peterson = experienced healthcare professional, respected / lauded educator ..but people would rather laud Mr no healthcare qualifications Blindboy over someone with an education and a clinical track record of treating patients and educating young psychologists and indeed the wider public, but he gets abused here as ‘a toxic wretch’ ? Seriously ? That’s a petty personal attack. Despite your grudge his students and patients also speak incredibly well of him. Also if you are unwell, it will take more than ‘good intentions’ to get you better.

my issue is that people who are not educated / qualified in healthcare issues should not be speaking as an authority on and advising on healthcare issues. I’ve been told that he isn’t advising he’s only…. He IS advising, there are examples and I’ve cited one where he is providing psychological / healthcare advice as relates to psychology and treatment and young people.

he is / has positioned himself as an authority on psychology…he says he isn’t an expert he just needs to either stop talking or engage in discussions more responsibly. he has to own that…

if someone asks..” Strumms, that problem you had with your leg, I’ve similar …what do you recommend “

Me.. “ go see your doctor, physiotherapy and hydrotherapy worked great, ask about them, they might be options but see a doctor if suitable he’ll write a referral “..

I’m not positioning myself as an expert, because I am not one… I’m not giving healthcare related advice, beyond advising where advice, expert advice might be attainable… and what services I encountered. Blindboy on the other hand 🤷‍♂️

And referring to Peterson as a ‘toxic wretch’, you weren’t winning the argument let’s say, but when you stoop to the level of just trotting out abuse to enable your views… 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

^ Again you provided no such example. So that is just an outright lie at this stage. You provided an example of him doing nothing more than saying something should be on the education curriculum for children. And you have simply dug down on the false claim that that was him offering mental health advice.

Again me saying that History should be on the curriculum is not me pretending to be a historian or saying something that required a history qualification. So your twisting reality to pretend that saying Mental Health tools would be a good thing to teach in school, is stepping into the domain that should only be held by people with qualifications is just sheer desperaiton on your part at this point.

And I repeat once again - you still have not offered an argument as to why people without qualifications should not be offering advice/opinions in those subjects anyway. You are just declaring it from on high that it is so.

Dodging and ignoring posts you can not rebut, is not evidence or an argument. Simple fact is at this point you claimed the evidence for your nonsense is documented "all over the internet" and yet magically you can not find even one single solitary example of it all :) Absolutely hilarious at this stage.

Lol.

Peterson.

Waste of text giving out about how hilariously idiotic he is

The end /

Peterson is a “toxic wretch” because instead of staying in his lane he lectures people on the climate, economics and gender identity. All from the position of a bigot. Look at his attacks on trans people, absolutely disgusting

He gives air time to people like Douglas Murray and Stefan Molyneaux who are even bigots they he is.

His credentials are irrelevant when he goes around attacking innocent people and arguing with scientists he isn’t smart enough to debate.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Even if he went back to his own lane, I'd be disinclined to trust him after the toxic nonsense he's peddled for money.

He ought to fix his own house before lecturing other people about their lawns.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

When did he teach at Harvard? When was he a professor at the University of Toronto?

He has completely gone off the rails since he was put in a coma to get over benzo addiction

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

State of this.

He's a pathetic joke. Any respect he might have commanded is long gone now he's hit the grifting circuit.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement