Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think the poster who suggested BB was dating someone's ex came closest to resolving this ingrained aversion to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Peterson is full of shite , I do enjoy listening to him though because I love comedy.

The way he treated that Eliot chap was disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,812 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well, his qualifications and achievements probably indicate different but hey we won’t fall out over it.. some people don’t like him and that’s all good.. 😉

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don’t dislike him. I think some of the things he believes and says are disgusting.

His behaviour is disgraceful and he should know better because of his qualifications.

I have no idea what his achievements are.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I dislike him intensely. I think he's a snake who attained a position of influence. He could use that influence to encourage young men to take a better path and be a force for good in the world but instead he peddles anti-scientific nonsense so he can ingratiate himself with the mainstream right.

If you have three hours to spare, this is a wonderful take down of him:

I've watched the whole thing and I'm convinced that the man has no interest in anything but lining his own pockets.

To be clear, I do not hate him or wish harm upon him. He's simply another snake oil salesman in a nation of snake oil salesmen.

I'm not sure what awards he's won. We're told he's won awards but nobody can list them. Same for his achievements.

I'll leave Dorian Lynskey the last word:

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Peterson ? :) He literally can’t be a snake oil salesman, his qualifications refute that and reflect otherwise… 🙂 but that statement might be a lot closer to defining Blindboy, him and his ‘no qualifications’ schtick… Peterson he’s 61 and been practicing in a highly regulated field of healthcare for years. A qualified doctor of psychology.

So Peterson, has he interest in lining his own pockets ? Well I’d hope so…. Years of studying to become a doctor of psychology you’d maybe want to make some money…after all that effort…pay your expenses, loans, buy a house, car as a result of your hard work using your doctorate, experience and skills ! :) Be compensated for your hard work, knowledge and time…

people the world over involved involved in healthcare… write books, give talks, teach / train… my own dentist lectures, 3rd level part time here… sooooo…..

maybe we can all try get Blindboy a job in UCD, he may leave the bag on and educate our future psychologists on ‘ mintil hilth boi ‘…. What he thinks they should be doing, shouldn’t be doing…? Where the curriculum has been going wrong, where psychology has been going wrong…… him, and his doctorate, sorry, degree ! Errr no.. masters ? Errrr what !? Well, just him and the bag I guess… I suppose he means well, doesn’t he ? 😉

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nobody with a medical qualification can do anything wrong. Well, except for Harold Shipman, Andrew Wakefield, Dr. Oz, etc...

Not a good defence.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

It’s not a defence, they are facts. He doesn’t need defending, odd thing to post. :)

Also a bit weird that you choose to bolster your paper thin argument by bringing in those names of… criminals, murderers and psychopaths… a bit desperate…. Unless you can tell us something about Peterson that you know, that the rest of us don’t ? 😅

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Its interesting that you’re defending Peterson for doing exactly what Blindboy does.

Peterson advises people on economics, climate science and politics. He isn’t a doctor of any of those. Shouldn’t he shut the **** up, by your logic?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Peterson's a crank. You're being entirely disingenuous by defending one person but censuring another for doing exactly the same thing.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Have you seen Petersons personal and professional trajectory over the last 5 years or so? The man has had serious issues and seems to have clasped on to an audience demographic that gives him the kudos that he desperately needs. He's had serious mental health difficulties but seems to have dealt with them or is dealing with them by looking outwardly instead of inward and focuses on culture wars and quasi-conspiracy theories and the likes.

Now, I'm not faulting him for his personal health difficulties, but just to give an eternal approval to someone because they qualified 10, 20, 30 years ago and to ignore what it is they are saying and doing now, is..... weird.

The last poster is correct in pointing out that medical degrees does not exclude someone from being harmful, nor should it mean that they should be treated as a Demi-God either.

Me personally, I've recommended Blind Boys podcast to friends who have been struggling with mental health, I'd be concerned if I heard they were listening to Peterson in the frame of mind they've been in, I'd worry they'd end up going down a Gemma Doherty type rabbit hole.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's fairly simple, blindboy's message appears to be 'don't trust me because i'm not an expert' and peterson's (from what i'm reading above) is 'trust me, because i am an expert'.

it's plainly obvious which is the 'safer' message.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Harvard ? He was studying there whilst doing assistant teaching. Like many post grads across Ireland.

Is this meant to be some gotcha of how awesome his credentials are ?

Jesus you like shiney things...

No, I can just see qualifications and competence and then…. Blindboy… a grifter.

By the looks of it, his health difficulties are down to his own poor choices. When he was preaching responsibility, he must've meant for anyone but him. For a man who spent a fair amount of his book warning against deceit, he's very happy to engage in it himself.

The difference between himself and Blindboy is that the latter seems to be a decent skin just trying to encourage people to take care of themselves. Peterson takes lost men and tries to radicalise them for profit. That's the difference. One wants to help, the other wants a payout.

H. H. Asquith

Blind boy charges on Patreon. He is estimated to make thousands a month according to one article I read…

Peterson has a lot of free material, advice on social media, that he is qualified to discuss and dispense…

How is he qualified to deny climate change and science?

H. H. Asquith

I’ve no idea… I’m only interested in him talking about psychology and associated issues…

is he giving scientific advice on climate change ? Because no matter how many times Blindboy denies it, he gives psychological advice and determinations which he isn’t qualified to do… Healthcare advice and determinations which is a LOT more dangerous then Peterson possibly having a skewed perspective on climate change :) if he does… again, I only listen to him as regards healthcare….

More whataboutery. I think you know he pontificates on the climate regularly.

Can you back up your claim about Blindboy dispensing healthcare advice?

H. H. Asquith

I did back it up, :) I’ve actually posted it, I’m not in the habit of repeating myself, or trawling through old posts, to satisfy your schtick and Blindboy obsession. Because no matter how many posts you try and use to desegregate Peterson, to make your views on Blindboy somehow credible, Peterson …he’s still a doctor of psychology, and any other non medical opinions he may have, he would be entitled to express them. :)

however, Blindboy isn’t entitled to pontificate or advise anyone on healthcare / psychological or similar scientific matters, I’m not, you are not, yet, he does….

According to Blindboy ….“ from the ages of 3 up, kids should be taught basic psychological tools “ that’s healthcare advice 😷

psychology for the most part is a branch of healthcare. Health science, and here he is saying to parents, a fella incidentally who doesn’t have kids, that kids should be taught basic psychological tools from the age of 3…..very specific …. “Should”…. so he is pontificating, advising… “ kids should “…. Not “I heard a psychologist say”, not “I read in X that kids should “ or… “in the world of psychology it’s believed that… “ He advises and pontificates…. Therefore by default deliberately positions himself as an expert. What tools ? And by whom David ? 🤔

nope 😬

in the world of Blindboy and according to Blindboy he says… as relates to psychology….“ kids should “….

no different to me saying hey, you should get physiotherapy for your shoulder pain… will I fûck, “ go see a doctor “… let professionals work it out….

• Advertisement

'from the ages of 3 up, kids should be taught basic psychological tools' that’s healthcare advice 😷

That's an opinion FFS.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

BB has an annoying habit of repeating lines.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

According to Blindboy ….“ from the ages of 3 up, kids should be taught basic psychological tools “ that’s healthcare advice 😷

how many times do people have to point this out to you - that's not healthcare advice, not in the meaning you want to apply anyway.

it's like saying 'you sound ill, you should go see a doctor' is healthcare advice. it's not. it's suggesting you should seek actual healthcare advice; quite the opposite of the conclusion you're drawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Dr Oz is a TV doctor who is very much so qualified in his field. Highly successful etc. On his TV show, he's pushed everything from conversion therapy to magical teas. He also pushed ineffective treatments during COVID-19 with no scientific basis. By your logic, we should respect those opinions cause he was a respected cardiologist. But in fact, similar to Peterson, he's becoming a dangerous quack.

Also if a person was an authority in their field, that equally doesn't make their opinion infallible. Eg if he tried to go through a peer review process for half the **** he spouts, it would not make the cut. Cause he basically amounts to ravings.

Also just to repeat, saying that children should learn about coping strategies from a young age in a school setting. That is not medical or psychological advice, at worst it's advocating for better mental health supports in schools. The fact you'd use that as proof of him giving some dangerous advice really shows how you can't actually find anything. 🤣

i know this thread is going in circles with no sign of resolution, and that i should unsubscribe, but it's a constant source of bemusement to read that only professionals are qualified to say that seeking professional advice is A Good Thing.

The argument seems to be best surmised as us plebians should know our place and not question our betters like Oz and Peterson.

I'm not sure why I'm here now I think of it. I have never listened to Blindboy's podcast though after hearing @Tell Me@Tell me how describe it, I might give it a go.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

H. H. Asquith

i only recently started listening to it. if you can find the one about sparkling water, it's a good intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

I'm giving it a listen shortly. Never really appealed to me. But appears to be some good guests etc.

• Advertisement

One of the things he says at the start of every new podcast is suggesting that people go back to one of the earlier podcasts to 'familiarize yourself with the lore of the podcast' as he puts it. I think that isn't a bad idea, but by no means do you have to listen to them in any sort of order.

The podcasts typically take the form of 1 of 4 styles of content.

1. Hot takes - A deep dive in to a particular topic. Can be as regular as 'the history of the Irish in America' or can be a bit more out there in terms of the title, but his take on it will always be given from his interpretation on a topic and I find these very entertaining. Some of them such as 'An Irish salad' I've listened to several times. These probably make up 50-60% of his episodes.
    2. A 1:1 interview with someone. These are often people working in the area of mental health (because we and BB know he can't /doesn't give mental health advice as such) and can be quite good. If not mental health, they are usually to cover a topic on which the guest has significant expertise on. He did one with Sinead O'Connor last year which is poignant given her passing this year.
    3. A live podcast, again usually takes the form of an interview and sometimes have questions from the audience. Can be quite good depending on the guest but it is the weakest forms of his podcasts in my view. I think he borders on being a little too excited or eager to praise the guest in these environments and I think he's pushing himself or trying a little too much when less would be more.
    4. Responds to questions sent in from listeners. These are entertaining as well and he usually only gets through two or three questions as he goes off on massive tangents.

I don't listen to Blindboy's podcasts in order to become completely knowledgeable on a particular topic. I listen to them primarily because I find his style very entertaining. I like how he is true to his own personality and background and doesn't try to be something he isn't. One of the things that endeared me most to him was his casual swearing which is so common in Ireland. I started listening most frequently when I had moved away from Ireland I found his tone and casual use of the F word or C word comforting in a strange way. (No one swears quite like the irish).I do find the mental health focused ones entertaining because he speaks on the topic both conceptually and also how he can relate to it (if he can). His deep dive episodes can be very entertaining and sometimes he draws a thread of connection on a topic that is quite revealing. He does get things factually wrong on occasion, but as I said, I'm not listening to become an expert on something. He occasionally reads from one of his books or sings a song that he has created during a Twitch stream and these can be an acquired taste.

Advertisement