Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

At least one user has pointed out already - but you appear not to have taken it in - that there is a difference between "giving advice" and "explaining concepts". I have listened to half or less of his podcasts. But I have listened to all his mental health ones. And his output is not really "giving advice". Mostly he is either explaining what a concept is in the mental health domain - or he is describing how he implemented the concept in his own life and the effects it has had.

To use your analogy to Cancer therefore he is not giving cancer diagnosis or telling people what cancer treatments to get. Rather he is explaining what a particular kind of cancer is, what the words used to describe the treatments mean, explaining what having that cancer felt like to him, and describing what the treatments were like for him.

And there is zero reason I can see why he should not be doing this. Especially as actual mental health professionals - rather than nobodies with no qualifications on a message board - refer their patients to those podcasts to augment their treatment approach. He must be doing something right there somewhere in their trained eyes that your untrained eyes are missing. Though as he says himself it is a poor situation that our countries mental health system has reached a point where a random nobody like him becomes a resource on the matter. That's a supply chain issue.

As someone who has in fact studied related areas to mental health and psychology - and who has a job that often requires I read released scientific papers on the subject on occasion - I can also tell you that he takes boring text book topics on the subject and renders them around a narrative that makes them quite accessible and understandable to the lay person on the street. So I can see why people would benefit from all of it too.

You say he is "on record all over the internet giving advice". I can not speak to that as I only followed his podcast output on the subject. I do not know what he posts on Twitter for example. So it would be helpful if you could provide some references and citations to see this "giving advice" on "What to do and what not to do"? It is hard to discuss what he has said on the subject without knowing what you are referring to.

All that said I simply do not get your issue with "Giving Advice" in the first place. You do not need qualifications to do this. People do it all the time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. We have two forums on "Personal Issues" and "Relationship Issues" on this very forum where people give all kinds of suggestions and advice. I do it myself sometimes at great length. But because of people like Blindboy I am also very careful to give that advice along with comments like "This is what worked for me so I offer it as inspiration for things to try but if it does not work for you then try something else".

And I do that because I know if someone is told something WILL help them and they try it and it does not help them that can be a depressive and cause people to think there is something wrong with them somehow. They think they must be broken if the advice does not help them like it helped the advice giver. So I always think it very important indeed to ensure people understand that there are many ways to deal with a mental health or life issue and all advice should be seen as things to try - on the path to trying everything until something works. And if one thing does not work that does not mean there is something wrong with them in the same way as just because a dinner recipe was tasty to me - the next person who tries it might not like it at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

”Peterson is an award winning doctor of Psychology” - you keep repeating this and ignoring the points others make about Peterson. Why?

In fact, one of the few Blindboy podcasts I did listen to he mentioned Peterson. I’m paraphrasing here, but he said “he knows a lot about psychology and when he talks about that he’s worth listening to, but it’s the rest of the stuff I object to”.

It’s Peterson’s anti woke crusade that makes him a grifter, not his advice on psychology. The fact he’s a doctor of psychology is completely irrelevant when he starts talking about racism or the environment.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Did you read the YouTube comments? Sycophantic rubbish. One lad compares him to Monty Python. It’s absolutely insane.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I read one or two. The usual sucking up carry on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

two things (again);

one; do you have an example of blindboy giving advice where he should not do so?

two; why are you so exercised about blindboy not staying in lane, but do not seem to care when peterson criticises scientific research he has no qualifications in?

if you just said 'i just don't like blindboy' and stopped trying to construct a narrative around why, which you're clearly not able to articulate clearly to the rest of us, that'd be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Again, if you listened to what he actually says in any of his work, he goes out of his way to emphasise that he isn't giving personal advice, he isn't a qualified professional, and that people should seek the help of a qualified professional if they are having issues. He factually talks about psychological concepts, the works of preeminent psychologists and what worked in the past for him.

In any case, his mental health content makes up a really small part of his back catalogue.

You've some sort of preconceived notion here that has no basis in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I like that song he made slagging off fat birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bit early for edgy. No ?

Assuming you were stellar in your younger days and not at all exactly the same person you have evolved to today with many years of adult experience behind you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I find I have no time for podcasts. I want to listen to Mike Duncan's History of Rome and Dr. Gary Girod's French History Podcast but I don't think I ever will. I've no idea what Blindboy does with his but releasing it for free isn't a grift as far as I can tell.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s quite simple, really. Anyone talking acceptance, understanding and compassion is a grifter but someone peddling hate, division and all meat diets is a true hero of men.

I wouldn’t be a fan of Blind Boy, for reasons outlined previously, but he should not be compared to Peterson at any point, he is not a harmful influence and, from what I’ve heard/read, he directs people to professionals when he talks about mental health issues.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I listen to podcasts mostly when commuting to work, or while at work if the situation allows headphones on for an extended period. If I'm only able to listen in 5-10 minute chunks before having to stop, I don't bother with podcasts as this interrupts the flow.

I like his message around the funding of his podcast, he says that if you enjoy what he's doing, give him the price of a pint once a month if you can afford it, but if you can't afford it, don't worry about it, you can listen for free. This is markedly different from other popular podcasts that are released to members only maybe with the odd one released publicly for free.

I'm happy to say I'm one of the people who gives him his price of a pint once a month.

There is a couple of finance plans I like. Sam Harris is a good example. His stuff is behind a paywall functionally. But there is no set price to get it. You can sign up for a dollar a month and get access to all the podcasts and his meditation app "Waking up". But actually if you can not afford to pay even a dollar, or simply do not want to, you just have to email his team and say so and they will sort you out a free membership.

Jokko Willink's main podcast is entirely free but he ends every podcast talking about his own products. Which is fine by me as you can just stop listening once the guest has left. But he has a second totally separate "underground" podcast you can pay for which is more "Agony Aunt" style content. So I can get behind that finance model too.

The Northern Irish Comedians "The bomb squad pod" are slightly more money focused in that they release 2 hours of podcast a week but the second hour is behind the patreon paywall. So you listen to the first hour and then you are meant to move with them to the patreon as they enter the second hour. Don't much like that approach as it breaks the flow as people who do not pay basically have to stop listening half way through the podcast.

I seem to have a lot of time to listen to podcasts as a lot of my pursuits and hobbies allow for it, like running every morning at 5am or all the work in the garden and vegetable plot. So I listen to a lot of podcasts but am selective about which episodes I listen to as there is just too much to listen to every episode of everyone I subscribe to.

So I would skip all Rogan's stuff that is with a comedian guest (about half or more of his content) and skip any Blindboy where he is talking about subjects I do not like, or reading his short stories. Tim Ferris, Diary of a CEO, Lex Fridman, Huberman Lab, Conan O Brein and Startalk for example I listen only when I recognise the guest or the topic. Which is about 10-30% of their content.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Well, why is he talking ? I can tell you I’m not wearing a navy blue top right now, but the reality is I am 🤷‍♂️

because I say I’m not, should people be brow beaten into believing me ? Even if facts say otherwise ?

Literally seconds into this interview, he’s giving mental health advice….

if you are advising people on healthcare issues, a science, you are by default positioning yourself as an expert.

people as relates to healthcare, only, or should only listen to experts… here he is in all his ‘glory’…^^^

” from the ages of about 3 on up, kids should be taught basic psychological tools “

he IS giving advice, it’s literally there, in that interview…

”kids should”…. No sorry… ridiculous…

Saying what kids should or should not be taught in school is not "giving mental health advice". It is giving an opinion on issues of Education. And he is as absolutely warranted in doing so as any other member of the public.

Simply go around Boards.ie for awhile and you will see people expressing similar opinions all the time. Such as opinions on whether kids should receive sex education in school, from what age they should or should not receive such education, and what that education should include or exclude. And that is just one example.

Your need to conflate two completely different things is the issue here. Not anything Blindboy is saying or doing. As is your concept that only experts should be discussing topics in their field and people outside that field should be shutting up. There is zero reason to think that a useful or good policy either.

Now if he had been saying "Kids should be taught X and I should be the one teaching them it" you might actually have a real point. Until he does this however you are just clutching desperately at straws that are not even there. It would be like saying "If you say kids should be taught history in school then you are pretending to be a historian!".

Yeah "No sorry… ridiculous…" right back at you I am afraid.

Would you criticise him for saying kids should be taught to change a tyre because he isn’t a mechanic? I doubt it.

Whatever you think about his right to say it, he is 100% correct here. Kids should be taught to manage their own emotions

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Yeah, you're making a fool out of yourself here.

Utterly pathetic. He dispensed no advice whatsoever.

This is what you're upset by. A lad advocating better mental health for children. You're totally fine with scum like Peterson peddling all sorts of anti-scientific drivel and conspiracy theories for a quick buck.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Maybe blindboy should instead have advocated for kids to be taught what words actually mean. Words like 'advice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

i've listened to a few episodes of his podcast now, and see no merit in the the claim about his 'lofty words'.

but his interview style can be a bit irritating when he's talking to people; he comes across as naive, his guest might say something interesting and he responds with 'nooo waaay!'; it comes across as put on, and does make him seem less well researched than he undoubtedly is (based on the other stuff he's done).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

You don’t need a license or qualifications to change a tyre in fairness. Nor to cook a chicken or to make a glass fruit bowl.

to practice as a psychologist you need qualifications, to practice as any healthcare provider …to dispense medical advice..

same as a medical doctor, dentist, physiotherapist, dietitian etc…

if he advocated… just advocated, I’d have no issues. But he oversteps that mark with great regularity… he advises…

advising : offer suggestions about the best course of action to someone

he could advocate for more third level places for people to study and become psychologists.

he could advocate for shorter outpatient patient waiting lists

he could advocate for more outpatient/inpatient services and great if he already does…but he dispenses advice….absolutely besotted with camera time and the sound of his own voice….. i agree that it does seem to come from some degree of naivety, but he’s about 40, presumably been educated to a reasonable standard…. So he needs to understand that there are limitations as regards anyone outside of the realm of healthcare ‘professionals’ when it comes to what should be said…..and the manner the likes of him engages with the media… he’s often careless, irresponsible, immature and narcissistic in that regard, but he’s making a few bob from it all… don’t lose sight of that…

He’s has done one thing well, created a very strong brand…. and making a nice few bob…

As others have pointed out, medical professionals (specifically those in the areas of mental health) have spoken strongly about his shown and have advocated others to listen to it.

That is the strongest condoning of both his style and content that you could find.

I would suggest that you consider this fact as you're really out on your own with the view that his content is inappropriate.

The last line of your post is telling in my view, it seems that people always resent others doing a job that can be perceived as not being too difficult. He's been doing the podcasts for a long time and producing an hour of content a week as he does takes considerable time. I think he is well deserving of whatever it is he earns from it.

I was at a conference a couple of years ago and Adam Savage of Mythbusters spoke at it.

It was a tech conference and focused very much on advanced technologies in both the industrial and commercial space. Adam spoke about the focus and fascination on the topic of STEM and that how so many school kids were being told that that was what they had to aim for. He argued that while those things are important that there is much more to life and that artistic exposure and exploration and experience was something that was very important as well. He said that factoring Art in to design and engineering can lead to better products or designs and can be a lot more rewarding for those involved both from a design and end user perspective. He said that the acronym STEM should instead be STEAM with art being represented by the A.

I often think of this when listening to Blindboys podcast both in the value of looking at something from outside the box as he does with his hot takes on every day topics, but also. But more importantly, in how that type of opportunity is necessary for people who just aren't wired to focus on something more traditional such as the jobs that make up most 40hrs/week roles.

Blindboy could be a lad heading for his 40's feeling bored, lost, uninspired in a job that to him is meaningless. Instead, he is doing something he enjoys, and that is particularly suited to how his mind works. And I think that is a very good example to be available for people to see. I'd say Blindboy plays a significant role for a lot of people who feel somewhat out of place in society and they can look at him and how he found a way to nourish his natural traits instead of stifling them.

He advises people to get help. If I see someone bleeding from the head I’ll advise them to tip away to A+E

they/them/theirs

I watch quite a few of savage's YouTube videos. He comes across as such a planted, decent guy. Someone who has enjoyed being at the peak of a job which is both technically demanding and creative.

He’s has done one thing well, created a very strong brand…. and making a nice few bob…

Do we know how much he earns? Has he ever released that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Always hard to know. Usual listeners are over million . Patron ask is like a cup of coffee a month so maybe 3 euro.. if you convert even 0.01 percent of listeners.

Do the maths.

• Advertisement

If those maths are correct it's fairly pitiful.

Advertisement