Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

If somebody with accreditation that signed up to certain rules engages in breaches of those rules, for the credibility of the org they need to call out potential misconduct..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭TokTik

Science by consensus is not science. Would you have agreed with Galileo being shot down and discredited when the consensus was that the earth was flat and the sun revolves around it??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What achievement does Peterson have that compares with Galileo?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

His (Peterson's) achievements are mainly in the comedy field...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I never said he chose to leave. He was kicked out for being a wing nut.

Don’t give me this “wrongthink” nonsense. Have you ever seen even read Orwell? He was kicked out for being a bigot.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Peer review is very much so a part of the scientific process, results can be investigated and challenged in a public forum. Versus people claiming something and refusing to engage in any kind of scientific process. I think this is more a case of the results not suiting some people so being rejected.

Meanwhile Peterson just makes outrageous statements to rile. Tends to appeal to the same people who will happily deny the likes of climate change.

Post edited by eightieschewbaccy on

Peterson isn’t a scientist. This may shock you, but he’s a doctor of psychology, not a medical doctor.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,884 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Psychologists / medical professionals don’t generally work for free. what are your qualifications to denounce it as crap ? :)

Blindboy gives, mental health advice. All over the place… he says….for example… “How I will be building my emotional resilience this year. I explain three psychology concepts through the fable of the Lion with the Thorn in its paw… ...” he simply should not be doing that. But it’s part of his whole grift. That’s just one example…he says “ I’m not a psychologist “ ? Well he should be quiet and stop advising people on the subject and instead advocate for mental health and qualified professionals instead of ‘advising’ …..

If I said having been at the dentist today.. “ how I devise or recommend procedures to clean tooth implants successfully and explain the best use of flossing and the best mouthwash to use… “ Id get reprimanded, criticised, carded whatever, and quite rightly. Absolutely….

yet, some people are willing to give Blindboy a hall pass to lecture and advise on psychology while in the same post, criticising an experienced doctor of psychology… couldn’t make it up. Bizarre 🤷‍♂️

Look, Peterson has a doctorate in clinical psychology…. He has the experience, awards, AND accredited education…

the lad with the bag has a platform, a mouth and probably a couple a CBTs…

If your life choices lead you to an all beef diet, peddling lies for a living, grifting, denying science and they culminating in you spending time in a methadone clinic, then you made crap life choices. It's really not complicated. Moving the goalposts won't change that.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

“How I will be building my emotional resilience this year. I explain three psychology concepts through the fable of the Lion with the Thorn in its paw… ...” he simply should not be doing that. 

It is completely appropriate for him to be commenting on mental health topics as he does.

He is on a private podcast, which people have to seek out in order to listen to. He categorically makes it clear that he is speaking on what is his opinion.

He in no way seeks to profit from his advice or direct people to behave in a way that might be detrimental to qualified advice.

It is ludicrous to suggest he should not be doing this.

You quoted my post but didn’t address the content..

your reply is in fact disingenuous. Goalposts are where they always were, in fact you just put one in the back of your own net with that post…. Sorry. ;)

you are incorrect.

In addition….

He is selling two of his books on his website…

he requests people sign up and pay him money via patreon to access content…

I don’t believe he should be doing it, despite what you think is ludicrous. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You're missing the point.

He is entitled to make money and to sell his books. But he is not doing either on the basis that he is a source of medical guidance. That would be an issue, but it isn't.

He sells his books and gets patreon memberships on the basis that people like his comedic/introspective/philosophical take on things. There is no confusion about his role or his intent.

There was no content, just the usual whinging whenever these weird objects of cult worship get criticised. The man's nothing more than a grifter. If criticising him arouses such strong emotion in you, that's your problem.

We're done here.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Small correction there. He requests people sign up on Patreon yes. But it is not to "access content" as you claim. The podcast content is free for everyone. You do not need to sign up to anything to access it.

you seem to be ignoring the fact that Peterson is no longer accredited.

On top of that, he spends his time commenting on sociology, anthropology, climatology and politics. Subjects he’s no more qualified than me to comment on, but portrays himself as an expert.

He also peddles online self help advice. No clinical psychologist worth his salt would do that.

edit: on reflection. As an engineer, I’m actually more qualified to comment on climate science than him. At least I understand the empirical method.

Post edited by Brian? on

they/them/theirs

His books are works of fiction, not self help books. Why shouldn’t he do that?

they/them/theirs

Peterson once said that he didn't feel qualified to comment on the complex mathematical modelling used to assess climate change. Of course, he quickly changed his tune once he realised he could pander to climate deniers.

H. H. Asquith

Honestly, I have some mixed feelings about the chap.

He started out with, what seemed like, a genuine motivation to help people. But after the pronoun thing, he descended deeper and deeper into the grift. I wonder sometimes if the benzo addictions actually changed his personality.

His current behaviour and output are batshit crazy! Have you seen the cover of “Lilly the Pink”? Absolutely nuts.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I got 12 Rules. It was gibberish but it was before he devoted himself to climate denial, conspiracy theories and hatred of trans people. Harmless gibberish, in other words.

I think he was genuine at the start but he seems to be a little unstable and that made him vulnerable to all of the poison he now spreads.

Lily the Pink?

Anyway, my favourite podcast, Origin Story have a two-parter about him. It should be worth a listen when I catch up to it.

H. H. Asquith

they/them/theirs

H. H. Asquith

Haven’t a bulls notion. It’s all over the shop.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,540 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Blindboy gives, mental health advice. All over the place… he says….for example… “How I will be building my emotional resilience this year. I explain three psychology concepts through the fable of the Lion with the Thorn in its paw… ...” he simply should not be doing that. But it’s part of his whole grift. That’s just one example…he says “ I’m not a psychologist “ ? Well he should be quiet and stop advising people on the subject and instead advocate for mental health and qualified professionals instead of ‘advising’ …..

maybe i'm being dim, but 'explaining a concept' is not something you need to have a professional qualification in. if someone here was to explain the young's slits concept to yo, would you claim they were doing something wrong if they did so without a PhD in physics?

he's not offering diagnoses online.

again, why does it matter that blindboy does not 'stay in his lane', but when peterson does it, it does not merit comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

So...at least you've made it clear that you've never actually listened to a full blindboy podcast...

Blindboy is is giving advice online through grifting / influencing . Without any qualifications. Peterson is an award winning doctor of Psychology…

im not an oncologist but if I give advice it’s ok, about cancer, cancer treatments ? As long as it isn’t a diagnosis ? What ? 🙄

I’ve never had cancer but I have had one serious long term condition that has been beaten and I never offered anyone advice quite simply.

I’m not a healthcare practitioner and neither is Blindboy…. The difference between us is I may recommend people who do know about the condition and avenues of help that can be sought from professionals…

im not sitting in front of a camera with a bag over my head or engaging in other media advising people about healthcare issues….

you have a movement disorder… doctor / physio

you have a skin disorder… dermatologist

you have a psychological issue… psychologist, not….

Blindboy.. an opinion on it and answers to questions nobody asked of him.

the fact that people could criticise Peterson who has tangible education, awards, and achievements noted by peers and patients etc…on one hand yet laud the likes of Blindboy… mad…

Blindboy is on record all over just the internet, giving advice, what you can do, what to do, what not to… so….

WTAF was that, like? It's like something a tech-savvy incel would make only it's a man in his actual sixties. A lot of it seems to be about putting non-white people in their place. It also features professional racist Douglas Murray.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

• Advertisement

Advertisement