Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murders of two gay men in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

No comment from any local homosexual men in that, rather 2 lesbians and one made up transgender youth. One that talks like a Lefty from California at only 16 ("I present as quite openly queer").

The Irish Examiner did the same last year, they did a piece on it and made a local transgender person at the centre of it.

I think they did that because at the height of the genders wars there was a lot of Lefty's radicals like Izzy kamikaze saying that transgender people are being murdered all the time more than any other demographic so when homosexual men actually do get murdered their Lefty media allies spin it like these are the transgender murderers they were talking about because they're all in the same acronym or something like that. Don't think it's gonna work somehow, nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

A large part of the story here is that Islamic fundamentalism in part caused someone who is gay to hate themselves so much they decided to kill in order to assuage their own self hatred.

If he had been from a strict catholic family and was white we all know that Catholicism would be getting massive criticism for contributing to such self hatred that can cause harm to others and rightly so.

The LGBT movement with the lack of comment on the obvious root of this fella's hatred (apart from him being a nutter obviously) and their whole "Queers for Palestine" current movement shows you that LGBT movement is no longer a gay rights group it's just another boring leftist group that strictly follows the leftist victim/perpetrator doctrine regardless of how contradictory their stance may be.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember before the suspect was arrested , I speculated that the individual might not be Irish and why the assumption was that he was presumably Irish and catholic and part of a legacy Irish problem?, I had a few comments deleted I think. Seems like Ireland want to go down the Swedish, French and German route, will need ot embrace all kinds of exotic crimes

Still funny that the whole cash angle to this if the large denominations are true, clearly the notes were smuggled in from abroad, terrorism? people trafficking? money laundering/tax evasion of some sort. As be have such a bloodhound media , Im sure their best gender graduates are on it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I remember before the suspect was arrested , I speculated that the individual might not be Irish and why the assumption was that he was presumably Irish and catholic and part of a legacy Irish problem?, I had a few comments deleted I think. Seems like Ireland want to go down the Swedish, French and German route, will need ot embrace all kinds of exotic crimes

Well see intellectually superior people like Izzy Kamikazy thinks that's problematic...

The Leitrim-based activist is worried that the Palani case is being framed by some in terms of culture or religion, which she argues “has its own dangers.”

It's danger for her because if she's was seen in any way to be blaming Islamic culture she's be ostraciced by her mates. Like Ruth Coppinger knows, the target is white Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Now the murderer is being segregated in prison - for his own safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

That's not what the article says, Literally the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Oh I know what it says on the surface...

would suggest you should read between the lines of that article

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Lemme guess, you know someone who told you the "real story"

I'll read the actual lines instead.

“There is a high probability that he will never be allowed to mix with any other inmate due to his level of anger and violence shown towards other men.”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

There was more column inches in papers and soundbites on media when there was a bit of graffiti spayed on the George a few years ago than there has been on this story.

The usual suspects aren't falling over themselves to tell us we are a nation of homophobes for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

The Sunday World had an extensive interview with Anthony Burke. Palani inflicted life-changing physical and mental harm and suffering on Mr. Burke who confirms my reading of Palani's statement to the court - no remorse, no apology.

Mr. Burke is also critical of the Gardai because they initially did not take him seriously. And it seems he received little support on the day of the trial, although he was the only surviving victim and the essential witness if Palani changed his plea (as he could have done that morning). It was only at the trial that he discovered that Palani had told the Gardai he wanted to cut his head off.

Naturally, he is also critical of the DPP for not charging Palani with attempted murder in his case. Interestingly, he says

"the DPP initially came back with attempted murder. I would have wanted it down on paper as attempted murder regardless of what sentence he got.”

Someone decided to reduce the attempted murder charge to a much lesser assault charge. Who and why? Questions our media have not bothered to ask about the most horrific murder case in recent years.

A member of Palani's family said the family has disowned him but was "too upset to speak any further on the matter". Of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Who was assuming the killer had to be Irish & Catholic? When I heard about these killings my first thought was "Islamic extremist, probably not part of any organised terror group". Obviously a degree of homophobia is regrettably part of our Catholic heritage but AFAIK we've never had a serial killer targeting gay men before.

All churches equally Mary? Like, the Unitarians, the Quakers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Considering that only a very small percentage of people under the age of 40 are now practicing Catholics it's going to be very difficult going forward in Ireland to blame any homophobia that may exist in Ireland on the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dublincc2

What would’ve happened if he had succeeded in killing more men? If Anthony Burke had died the Gardaí would’ve taken longer to get a description and link it definitively to the gay dating apps, he would’ve continued and was talking to another victim when he was arrested. He had up to twelve people on a list from the apps, so up to 9 other people may have been killed with Gardaí saying that 5 were at imminent risk.

How long would he likely have been able to keep killing and evade detection by Gardaí? Surely at some stage the Gardaí would begin to suspect a homophobic angle and warn the local LGBT community, Palani had no car and therefore not able to travel further afield. He probably would’ve been caught eventually but how long could this have hypothetically gone on for?

Not trying to be morbid or anything just genuinely curious if the Gardaí had the resources to trace a completely unknown serial killer, virtually unknown in Irish history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Who knows,

Didn't he have a kill list of all gay white men?

Yes. Around a dozen.

My question is could he conceivably have killed all of them before the Gardaí copped who he was? Do they have the resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There was a very obvious pattern to what he was trying to do, not exactly required to dig up Sherlock Holmes to figure out (if he hadn't been fictional)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This. All three victims were middle-aged single gay men who lived alone, in on near Sligo, and who were attacked at night in their own homes. All three attacks took place over a period of four days. Even Inspector Clouseau would have been checking out the Tinder profiles of the three victims, and I think there would have been quite a short list of people who had contacted all three of the victims via Tinder in the days before their murders.

This was a grotesque crime, but I don't think it was a difficult crime to solve. From memory, Palani was arrested within a few hours of the second murder. We have no reason to think that he was identified or charged on the basis of information provided by the victim who survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,912 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think @dublincc2 is trying to suggest all 3 were closeted gay men. I don't think that is really true about Michael Snee or Aidan Moffitt but I am not 100% sure. Anthony Burke wasn't publicly out until this happened. The guards did to be fair look at Grindr straightaway once alerted by Anthony Burke.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

If, God forbid, Anthony Burke had been murdered rather than just gravely assaulted, I think the Guards would likely have established very quickly that he was gay. Similarly if the other two had been closeted. And even before establishing that, when you have an almost nightly series of savage attacks on middle-aged never-married men who live alone, the possibility that you're looking at a campaign directed against gay men (or against men the perpetrator thinks are gay) is going to leap unbidden to your mind, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

• Registered Users Posts: 34,108 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Especially when they discover the perpetrator had sex with at least one victim.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There's evidence (as Hotblack points out) that he had sex with one of the victims, but that's not conclusive; a homicidal psychotic raping a gay man before murdering him doesn't have to be gay himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

It’s difficult for the LGBT community to accept that a member of another minority community could have such ill will towards them. They would be more comfortable if the attacks had come from white Irish men. And it’s difficult for Muslim immigrants to accept that LGBT culture is now celebrated in the West while it remains criminalised and demonised in their home countries. Definitely a clash of cultures. There was a case last year where PSG player from Senegal refused to wear a shirt with a rainbow symbol. Maybe not surprising given that homosexuality remains illegal in Senegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

This isn't just a clash with the lgbt community and islam though, its the incompatible social values of the developing world with the developed world.

The UK, France, Netherlands, Sweden etc burn up millions of police man hours on 'culturally sensitive' crimes, in some cities they have dedicated units to counteract the problem and it costs billions. Basically the Islamic and African Christian communities, even second and third generation, are prone to 'culturally sensitive' matters involving: child genital mutilation, domestic violence, forced marriages, some other forms of pedophila, honour beatings or killings, false imprisonment (this one is rife in the UK to the point that they just ignore it now), Incest, intimidation, threats, neglect, mass stabbings, beheadings etc.

Ireland has never heavily invested in public services, instead we adopted a generous welfare state but clearly that policy hasnt worked and we're going the same way as the UK and France plus we do not have the ability to manage it in terms of staffing, strategy or infrastructure. Stabbing attacks by migrants have now become frequent with 3 major cases in 18 months and a handful of less serious attacks at direct provision centres. As a result there'll be major backlash at the ballot box if there is not serious immigration reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The media went very quiet because in their eyes it was a case of "friendly fire". Despite apparently valuing diversity, they see immigrants, women, travellers, muslims, trans people, black people, asylum seekers etc. as interchangeable members of the same "side" united in victimhood. The other "side" are straight white men. In their narrative; violence, discrimination and hatred are a one way process, perpetuated solely by straight white men on the aforementioned groups.

When a muslim immigrant kills gay men, it's going off script so they'll just quietly not mention it.

This is what I was wondering. In Anthony Burke’s interview he said that they were able to get him quicker because of his help, but that if he had died then it would have taken longer to catch him. He already had a fourth victim selected who he was due to meet later on the night he was arrested.

Thankfully Anthony Burke survived and was able to give Gardaí the info they needed to identify him, but what if this hadn’t happened? We already know he probably would have killed the fourth man, is it really conceivable that over the next few days and weeks that up to 9 other men (he had around a dozen on a kill list from Grindr) would have been murdered and no clear suspect identified? We know he took great care to avoid DNA and regardless he was a recluse who had never come to Garda attention.

Another question is if the above happened how much of an effect would that have on our society? At least ten gay men killed in the space of less than a month by a Muslim in a small town like Sligo. This would surely surpass the coverage in both media and personal discourse of Ashling Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Tbf, gardai have a very good result with murder.

gang/drug related murder exempted, even though in those cases they normally know who the offender is, just don't have the evidence for a trial.

ordinary crime murders are usually solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What did Palani get for what he did to Anthony Burke?

• Advertisement

Advertisement