Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the greens be in government after the next general election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The only way car use will be discouraged is if the next government tries to get new companies that locate here to set up in the many commuter towns around Dublin.

People can't afford to live in Dublin so they are forced to commute. The public transport to these towns is beyond a joke. I would use public transport if it was available. The traffic in the mornings coming from my area is nuts at the moment and only getting worse with all the new building going on with people moving down to the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

[Opinions on] Eoin... Cullinane... Pearse

You asked who I thought were good spokespeople and I answered. You don't have to agree.

I also asked you who you thought was a good minister. You've not answered, for some reason.

To make this easier, you can agree that majority of dwelling built so far are houses, the ones that are apartments and sold to people are bigger than 45sqm? The majority of these properties are been sold to home owners.

You switched now to rentals instead of the discussion was on new builds.

What point are you trying to make? I've shown you the figures. New builds are way down on independent (Housing Commission) projections on how many are needed, and they fail to meet the government's own targets. Even if you count rent-only apartments and student accommodation. It doesn't matter what way you try to sell this, the government's housing policy is an abject failure, and there are >13,000 homeless.

The childish "I'm alright Jack" which seems to be commonly used by Sinn Fein supporters has no place in this discussion. If you want to carry on with that then best of luck to you.

/shrug. If the cap fits... You're the one who is saying everything in the garden is rosy, for you. You don't seem willing to recognise it isn't all rosy for a good chunk of society.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They do not wield "so much power" so stop with the sensationalism.

What serious damage has been done by the Greens in government?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

They have not built loads of motorways so commuters can get to the traffic jams quicker, but suggested railways instead.

They have emphasised insulating houses which saves the occupiers loads of dosh, and keeps their homes warmer at lower cost.

They have improved cycle lanes so people do not have sit in their cars but can cycle safer instead.

They have tried to encourage us all to save the planet from warming because of the excessive CO2 levels being produced in the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,494 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They are still building motorways.

They have not increased grants for house insulation or other sustainability measures (I think they've actually reduced some of the grants?) and they have not introduced a low-or zero-interest loan scheme, so that people who can't afford to pay outright for such measures or can't afford/get a loan might also be able to avail of such measures. And it's poorer people who tend to live in the houses that would benefit most from such measures.

They - and other councillors from other parties and none, this is a local government issue! - have improved some cycle lanes in some places. Fair play to them.

They have squandered the opportunities they had by being in cabinet and in government, and gotten very little to show for it. We're supposed to have 1 million EVs by 2030 - 6 years from now - but won't have any way to charge them (no solar at night). The Greens, I believe, are still opposed to having anything nuclear on the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I live in a mostly council estate and I can tell you that probably 50 or 60% of my neighbours have had insulation put on the outside of their houses in the last few years, and they're continuing to do so. Pretty sure they've done quite a bit of their council stock in Dublin so far, so they most certainly are helping poor people. My nextdoor neighbours qualify for fuel allowance as one of them is special needs and their whole house was insulated and had a heat pump installed for free.

So poorer people in old houses are most definitely benefitting from the Greens being in government.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The insulation of houses is available to poor household without cost to them. As for cycle ways and Greenways - well there are a lot more around now than before they joined in the Gov. 40% of electricity generation is be renewables, and that should increase with off shore wind generation and solar farms. Carbon taxes are ringfenced to be spent on carbon reduction.

So there are a few things achieved.

• Advertisement

Ok, it's "not ruling out", as opposed to "this makes bags of sense and we're going to go for it to secure our energy requirements for the future", but it's progress!

40% of electricity generation is be renewables, and that should increase with off shore wind generation and solar farms. Carbon taxes are ringfenced to be spent on carbon reduction.

So there are a few things achieved.

Yes - but that would have happened anyway, whether or not the Greens were in government. The Climate Action Plan was introduced when FG were in power with FF doing 'confidence and supply' support. The latest version of the plan isn't that much different.

I stand corrected on insulation.

In fairness, there's a lot of practical issues, including costs, public buy in and ability to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

They've also brought in rural Local Link bus services which have made a huge difference to marginalised and not so marginalised groups down here in South Tipp/ Waterford. Next January we'll have the deposit return scheme, again something to be lauded. Eamonn Ryan is a PR disaster though. People still remember that silly salads speech. I think they'll do OK in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

What point, you made a statement about shoebox apartments which was incorrect. Yet instead of admitting that have jumped around to planning and to rentals etc instead of admitting.

In regards to the failure of housing, you should have a chat with Sinn Fein in terms of the use of planning system to block houses and increase the number of homelessness in Ireland. All the parties are at it but Sinn Fein have strategically blocked properties all over Ireland to slow building project and reduce supply. Have a look at the number of social housing when Sinn Fein took over DCC to the number they ended up when they got removed in 2019.

The "im alright jack" is the typical nonsense spouted by Sinn Fein supporters when they know what they posted was wrong. Go after the poster instead of the post. Trying to say non Sinn Fein supporters don't care about anyone else. Total rubbish

In my first post I said Ireland has issues and I never said we don't. So doesn't really fit does it?

All the SEAI grants got a huge bump recently

Still plenty of issues with the system and but they got improved.

In terms of council houses been upgraded, see below for Dublin alone.

The numbers of EV's on the road will struggle like most countries because the car suppliers have totally overpriced them after covid. Plenty of videos of what is happening in the UK when the second hand market is crashing with huge amount been wiped off electric cars overnight. That's not the green party who can control the over pricing of electric cars by manufacturers. I do believe the grants for electric cars should be removed because it's just been used to fill car dealers pockets and not reducing the price.

In terms of nuclear, yes the Greens are, so are every other party in Ireland unless you can name one?

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/dublin-news/almost-10000-dublin-city-council-homes-get-retrofitting-upgrade/42363617.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

The ultimate nuisance party.

When a faction of them dishonestly and bitterly accused their own leader of being a racist, it was their lowest ebb.

Can you trust a group of people who betray each other with false accusations? You cannot. Jackals.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They - and other councillors from other parties and none, this is a local government issue! - have improved some cycle lanes in some places. Fair play to them.

Central government provided significant "active travel" funding to local councils. Some of whom decided a valid use of that was to repave roads.

This does get to one central issue though, which is that often it is local government - which frequently has a completely different make up to the Dáil - that is the problem in moving forward. They often have significant power with zero accountability.

I am broadly pro-nuclear, but realistically it won't happen in Ireland and regardless it wouldn't be happening in the next 6 years no matter who was in favour of it. So I'm not sure of the relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Still don't know what you think I was wrong about with apartment sizes. They are shoeboxes. There are a grand total of 12 one-bed apartments for sale in my postal district. Ten of them list the size: 5 are under 50m2. 3 of them are exactly 50m2. 2 are bigger than 50m2, but none are bigger than 53m2. Shoeboxes.

And I'm not a Sinn Féin supporter. I'll give them a transfer or two, if their second candidate is also pro-choice. Anyone but FF, FG, or the far right. The Greens might even get my last transfer, unless they run another anti-choice candidate.

You completely failed to address any of my points about young people and people starting out in "middle-class" occupations like teaching and nursing literally being unable to afford to live in Dublin, so yeah, if the cap fits, Jack...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

50m2 is a fairly large one bed apartment, I have no idea why you think it is a shoebox.

I live in a three bed apartment and it is only 88m2.

• Advertisement

Quick look at daft, apartment for sale. 75m2, 81m2, 71m2. Cheapest apartment for sale is in Limerick and is 60m2 and one just sold 65m2

The shoebox apartment in reality is something spun on the web. Im sure if you trawl around long enough you will find some but in reality the majority are way bigger.

The "Im no Sinn Fein supporter" is about 5 posts too late😂

Tell you what, have a look at Louise O'Reilly performance in the Dail on her and Mary Lou twitter. See any issues? then watch the people you claimed to be good and notice the similarities

There's a huge cost in not having a readily available, stable, native power supply. Ability to deliver? You get the French in, they've a track record in building safe, small nuclear plants. Money supply is still cheap and you borrow for infrastructure. When there are 1 million EVs all trying to charge at night, we're going to need more than solar, and we're going to need something more stable than wind.

Public buy-in is absolutely an issue, but if, y'know, the Green Party were to endorse what is actually the cleanest current guaranteed power source, relative to any fossil fuel, it'd go a long way.

Absolutely agreed with you on central v. local government. Ironically, I think we've one of the weakest local government structures in Europe? Might not be a terrible thing, too, when the likes of Galway Council go "nah, we're not building cycle routes, sure that'd interfere with the cars!"

I am broadly pro-nuclear, but realistically it won't happen in Ireland and regardless it wouldn't be happening in the next 6 years no matter who was in favour of it. So I'm not sure of the relevance.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.

Same goes for nuclear.

Grand, so, I'll tell my kid about the apartment in Limerick, four-hour commute a day will build character, sure. 🙄

Sure, we can use the filters and look for the biggest apartments. Now don't do that and just search 1 bed apartments in Dublin areas. You'll find the results are quite different.

If you look at the savage backlash against the Green Party when they endorse sensible ideas like cycle lanes and car sharing, it's heard to believe that they would be successful at getting nuclear power over the line. Can you imagine the NIMBY response?

Well, given the people of Midleton apparently objected to a solar farm (because of the noise?!) - yeah, that'd certainly be an issue!

I didn't filter anything, I just looked for apartments on daft. I have no idea if you can filter or not. Never had a need to. That's the sort of nonsense some people would do to "win" a point online.

The bold letters 😂

Leave you to it anyway.

As I posted at the start and hasn't changed, plenty of people are leading a very good life in Ireland. Best of luck to them. You won't get any begrudgery from me anyway.

For the other the policies that are been implemented now will hopefully help them. Certainly moaning on internet won't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

See. I no longer believe you.

"I have no idea if you can filter or not"?

No one can believe that. You think if you're looking for a 3 bed in Mayo, you have to trawl through the 1 beds in Dublin?

Go away out of that and enjoy your life. Others aren't as fortunate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mod: right folks, back on topic and no more bickering about daft.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Edit: Didn't see mod warning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I couldn't laud the deposit return scheme. Its been in Germany and other parts of Europe for years and years and years. At the very minimum, it should have been in place a decade ago, and even now, most of the implementation of it around where I am requires bloody planning permission.

Advertisement