Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Wash, rinse, repeat with the Garda. They'll have a presence for a couple of days, post some social media pics with tourists (in the safer parts of the city) and then go missing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

You seem to be suggesting that the rioters were from the N inner city, check the addresses of those arrested on Thursday night and you will see that very few came from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Was in town for 2 pints with friends followed by a start on the Christmas shopping. Guards absolutely everywhere. Very visible.

Nearly everytime I go in I see something happen - What is there today should be normal levels I feel.

Deep down I Know things will be back to normal next week.

Also agree with others - maintining a level of fitness and presence needs to be part of the requirement to do the job. Fitnesschecks every year and a job requirement to gym twice a week minimum. The reality is a 5ft nothing tubby short arse is absolutely no use to deal with things in Dublin CC. Start adding some Brazilians and Eastern Europeans to the force.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

One thing I'd wonder about, regarding that, is whether or not those arrested were a representative sample of all those out rioting. Did the Gardaí just grab everyone they could (in which case the sample might be more representative), or did they focus on the supposed adults (who might have come from further afield) and less on the more local teenagers, who would likely be given a slap on the wrist, on account of being under 18, given current sentencing guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭apache

If it's anything like the prison service there is no refresher standard of fitness training once you're in. And if there is it's easy to get out of. It might be different for Gardai. Maybe somebody could post?

They are crying out for Gardai and theres a lot of young inexperienced recruits who don't know how to handle themselves in a volatile situation. The morale is at a very low point. There's no proper training or frequent refresher courses. And with scumbags laughing in their faces with suspended sentences. There's no room in prisons. Mountjoy have gotten bunk beds. Terrible what happened in town the other night. Certain people can do what they want. The lunatics are running the asylum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I mean if they're having trouble hiring in Ireland, and keeping Garda in the force, I would imagine there are hard as nails South Americans that would jump at the chance to do the job. We should be advertising in these countries for men and women who speak English well that would be up for the job. Is Gaeilge still a requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I watch pro-cycling a lot so I see the Civil Guardia and the gendarmerie regularly. They are on a different scale of physical shape than anything we have here.

I also go to football matches in central and eastern Europe. You ain't messing with those boys, and the all seem to be at least 6ft tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Be right back

On the bright side, one of the other children, a 6 year old has been discharged..

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/the-tension-simmering-beneath-the-dublin-riots/...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Thats true, but all the services in the world wont save the north inner city.

If its the same social housing ghetto it is today, nought will change.

Social housing in the city centre should be restricted & reserved for working people and retired folks.

Then enable private renters and owners to move in, as part of the mixed development.

It could thrive very quickly, if done correctly.

The problem is the govt have no appetite to gentrify the north inner city, although they are doing it slowly in the north docklands.

I think part of the problem is where do all the tenants go during the redevelopment phase.

As we have a housing crisis, moving people that are already housed is the last thing the govt want to do. But it is what needs to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

amazing news. If that poor other child dies. The city will be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I suppose I'll be bashed for saying this, but realistically is there any justification for the unemployed and unemployable to live smack bang in the middle of the city? The inner city flats would otherwise comprise prime real estate if it wasn't a ghetto. Those who work in the city would bite your hand off for a gaff there, without the need for a tortuous commute twice a day. They are the ones to be looked after since they are actually contributing to the economy and society.

However, I acknowledge that it will not happen sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

How many people in social housing in the city centre are unemployed though? I have a mate from Sheriff St and his family all work, as do many of his neighbours from what I can telll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Don't mind that bollocks, I grew up in a shithole. Every scumbag I know works. It's just a bullshit narrative that gets thrown out there because they have no valid points to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

That's great, glad to hear it. The problem is that those working who are now on the housing list haven't a hope of getting much in the city centre really. I know from a tenant my mother had when she was in a nursing home (helped pay her fees), that the tenant was adamant that she was holding out (three refusals max) for a place near her mother in the South Inner City. She got it and she was not working. That made no difference to my mother, her rent was subbed by HAP and that's all she needed. Just saying, you can believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

It's still a place that not a single person would walk around day or night if they didn't live in it.

If all these people are working etc as we constantly hear then why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

We should constantly have that amount of guards in Dublin City Centre, considering how much tax we all have to pay.

• Advertisement

The youths need to be punished as well. The fact they are not is a large part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Currently in the city at dame st.. haven't see one guard about and didn't see one while coming in.. no scumbags either which is nice

How many Gardai are 5ft nothing an over weight? this is just nonsense.

In reality if you have 25-30 v 1 then it doesn't matter what build the Garda is because they are not going to win. The videos that flew around the other night was about a group of scumbags. Two in particular, the Garda was talking to someone and the guy in front of him ran around behind him and hit him. Chicken sh**t scumbag.

The other was a member of public who was tall, the guy went off, pulled something out of his pocket and again hit him from behind.

You are defending a shower of chicken sh*ts who hit from behind. If you are 7ft or 5ft if some scumbag wants to come up from behind you and you can't see it doesn't matter what height you are.

No punish the youth and the sh*t parents behind them. If they are on dole/child benefit etc. Cut it off. See how big they are when they don't get a free pay cheque every month

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭davepatr07

Great all is well, Mehole has come out in support of McEntee and Harris. Rinse and repeat. This will be blown over and forgotten about come election time and people will vote the same shower in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Good question, sounds like a person looking for some attention.

It's like Mary Lou was in at the site of the attack, was she now aware? if she was why didn't she inform the Garda?

It's incitement to.violence also. You know the type of incitement that brought hundreds of scrotes out to riot the other night?

• Advertisement

First off cop on, if the best you can come up with is nicknames for TD's it's not a great start.

I am welcome to answer, not question, so please tell me what are the answer to the issue we see at the moment? because we seemingly have two.

The bigger one which has been going on a lot longer is scumbags ruining every town and city.

The second is the immigration issue.

So laid out your plan to resolve, I am sure we woudl all love to hear it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement