Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children stabbed in Dublin city centre **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

We're historically a country of mass emigration waves, as recently as 2009, because we were continuously told by politicians there was not enough jobs or infrastructure to support a large population. Now, everybody and anybody is invited by the politicians in 12 different languages to come sandwiched in here.

Christ almighty is right.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭rgossip30

My take on this a Garda spokesman said '' the riot has no connection whatsoever with the incident on Parnell Street " .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

What a sad day yesterday. As a parent the stabbing incident was heartbreaking, as a parent you would be terrified if one of yours was a guard and faced what they did last night

To all those thugs last night I hope you have a good rest today after last night, and don't worry we'll all work away and pay taxes to help with the clean up cost of last night. At least some of you will be dressed well for your day in court !

Well done to guards, paramedics and all who helped out yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

There there-your friends will likely get bail soon so don’t be worrying too much in the meantime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Those immigrants are filling jobs, paying taxes and contributing positively to society.

The most successful countries and cities throughout all of human history have been those who have actively encouraged immigration. It works! Look at the currently most successful country in the world - the USA. Built on immigration. (current nativist tendencies notwithstanding)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 12,354 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This riot may have started as a protest by the far right, but it is obvious that it's the usual scum who cause low level trouble each day in the city, saw this as an opportunity to cause chaos.

Why?

They've grown up getting away with it.

Never face consequences for their actions

And they still, right now, believe and could be right, that they will only get a slap on the wrist.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

The legal system here is to light touch.

Favours the criminal, most people don't realise how difficult it is for the Garda to secure a conviction in court. And even if they do, it's very rare for a proper custodial sentence to be given. Ireland is one of the only countries in the western world where the Garda lead a prosecution for most crimes (Not the DPP). The Garda are going up against seasoned and expensive solicitors and barristers. It's extremely difficult.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the people involved in the looting and vandalism last night are known to the Garda.

Our legal system needs a massive overhaul.

The average cost of keeping someone locked up is €89,000 per prisoner. If new prisons to house little scrotes are to be built, then that cost needs to come down. (Automation, Technology?) I'm a firm believer that Prison should be a horrendous affair OR a complete rehabilitation, and it's up to the prisoner to choose.

We should also reduce the age that people can be named from 18 to 12. At 12 years old you know the difference between right and wrong. Every parent of those youths would say "No, not my child, they'd never do a thing like that"

Last night was a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Advertisement
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 33 ADHD and Me

34 arrests, 13 shops damaged and garda vehicles destroyed in night of disorder

Free legal aid, probation acts, and suspended sentences for all.

If I was a Garda, I would quit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Micheál Martin out now saying this undermines who we are as a 'decent' people or some such nonsense.

From the same fella that had donations from a property developer just resting in his wife's bank account. (I only found out about this lately)

That's that kind of systematic corruption and cronyism that has this country divided. Makes me angry as hell. This is where our problems come from, not migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Really crap take jeffrey.

I mean we have all the tiktok and facebook and twitter posts to know this wasn't just 16 year olds.

Irelands citizen journalist at their best last night. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 55,164 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It wasn’t long ago that the very fabric of our democracy/society was attacked when elected officials were harassed and attacked by scumbags whilst our officials were on their way to and from work. And gardai protecting them with the bare minim of force.

When are we going to crack down really hard on these people, and send out a strong message that societal thuggery will be crushed, and those responsible punished properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

To be fair, everything you say here about Irish social class can just as easily be said about migrants and refugees when it comes to people from comfortable, peaceful and (to use your term) "civilised" countries who other them and label them as undesirables for having the neck to seek something better for themselves.

It should be no less wrong for people to take what that lunatic did yesterday as a stick to beat migrants as it is to disparage the entirety of a certain deprived social class of Dublin's northside just because of the thugs who rampaged in the city centre last night. And let's not forget that a lot of migrants themselves are living in poorer communties in the Northside and are very much of that social class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

The racists are out trying to subtly undermine the Brazilian hero who prevented an even bigger tragedy yest.

We see you. Twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

The USA is the size of a continent, with unlimited resources. You're equating that with a tiny island such as Ireland?

You may as well be saying stick 850,000 extra people onto Inis Meain.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

The issue is where are they supposed to go? Like other sectors in Ireland, the prisons were no doubt neglected too. As for the TV livence non payers going to prison, I do t know anyone but I think, they show up to prison and told to go home or they only stay for a few hours because prisons are so underresourced too.

The rioting that happened yesterday, it's been growing for years. Thugs would often target just stuff like even traffic on roads and surround innocent people and just intimate them and the gardai don't do anything.

I would be in favour of a mantory army for all young lads to attend after they finish school for a few years. It will take many of these young lads off the streets and away and they can redirect their energy into the army.

• Advertisement

Ignoring them is best - it drives them batty 🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 18,387 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Nearly every country in Europe has a non national population of at least 10%, even non-EU members. Treating immigration as unnatural or an aberration is not exactly helping.....people are more mobile now than at any point in human history.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Gutted hes Brazilian. And a Deliveroo driver.

Brazilian Deliveroo drivers have been targets for inner city scum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Fintan O’Toole wrote in the IT a month or two ago that if you consume the mainstream/tradtional media RTE, BBC, Indo etc you are now in the minority. Most people get their news from Facebook, Telegram, links on WhatsApp etc.

No oversight, no editors, no responsibility. Yesterday was the result of this fracturing of the media. Whereas once, kids and teenagers would hear news from their parents watching or reading the usual sources, now two generations are seeing this incendiary and violent content.

The Clare hotel protests were the canary in the coalmine. Library attacks were this crowd flexing their muscles. Yesterday was them in full confidence.

It doesn’t matter what the cause is, if it is a wedge, they’ll push it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,836 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They set fire to several immigrant residential centres. That's political, far right political.

Perhaps but a hell of a lot nicer than in those days!

Thinking back on it, my mother specifically warned us off Temple Bar and O'Connell Street as the two no-go places in town. The entire place was crumbling and properly poor. People forget just how steep our economic growth was. Dublin today is a completely different city to those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Exactly. There is more than enough wealth in this country, and in all Western countries, to look after everyone. What needs to happen, but won't, is the well heeled very well off need to give more back to the state and the people who never contribute to the state need to start contributing. It's so **** simple! One reason it won't happen is because the guy canvassing for election in D4,Montenotte,Monaleen etc cannot stand on a platform of taking a bit more from the wealthy and his counterpart in Sherriff St, knocknaheeny, Southill etc cannot stand on a platform of demanding more from those on benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OK, you want small countries that have succeeded with immigration.

How about Singapore? Switzerland? Denmark? New Zealand?

By the way, I'm not saying 'let's just have uncontrolled immigration'. It needs to have proper planning, resourcing and integration strategies.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement