Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children stabbed in Dublin city centre **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

I doubt they could even articulate 'the issues'. You are 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I hope to God none of them get bail, and that ALL of them are named no matter what age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

This is a relevant point . I always thought the whole rationale of prisons was that they were places you would not like to be . They would places of minimal basic provision -which would not rule out efforts at rehabilitation , time off for good behaviour etc.

The move away from this to making prisons seem more like hotels has taken away an element of the deterrence prisons were supposed to have,

• Immigints I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭buried

Thats great for those countries, but we are a tiny Island, currently on life support with our total lack of infrastructure, whether it be health, housing, transport etc. Our only indigenous resource is agriculture, which is already being planned to be greatly reduced.

When the mess hits the fan, how are we going to support anybody?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Our Minister for Justice is an absolute disgrace , Its not about safety and our streets are safe she announces . This while people are trapped in work , in restaurants, in hospitals, pregnant women told not to travel to the Rotunda , people told not to come to town from £ Arena , no public transport , cars and buses on fire and shops looted .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure the barristers and solicitors represent the clients for "free".

The gravy train definitely wasn't burnt out.

• Nothing wrong with a small riot and a few fires now. Builds character. Sure young lads need to learn how to set fire to things in the event of total damnation and the breakdown of society.

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Ashamed to be Irish after last night. After what had happened yesterday for those thugs to terrorise a community, stop people from getting home from work, terrorise people in doing some late night christmas shopping, randomly loot shops and destruct vehicles etc. A black day for this country and on O'Connell Street which is supposed to represent our freedom and people who gave their lives for this country's freedom etc. It sickens me. I hope they throw the book at the thugs.

• Advertisement

But we don't have any of that. Our establishment literally cannot plan anything. Last night is the proof of it, if you needed any further proof of their total incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Definitely not. The people who carried out the riots last night are total scumbags, the lowest of low life's.

Perhaps if the government had of taken one bit of notice in listening to concerns that alot of citizens had both Irish and non Irish this could of been avoided.

Our services have been totally let fall into a dreadful state, we have a minister for justice so out of touch it's nearly unbelievable.

If we can't control our own home grown problems do you not think we need a serious look at who's coming into the country as not to add to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yagan

I was working on a short contract in Dublin city centre just before the pandemic and it was obvious to me that scrotes had free reign to do as they pleased, it was their territory. I had lived between the canals in the 90s, both north and south side and back then there was still enough community cohesion to tackle things at a local level. That seems to be replaced by rent seeking policies.

That was a policy decision to cede the city centre to crime without consequence. The anti lockdown protests and clashes were a coalescence, but last night showed how out of touch the justice minister was. I'm feel confident in saying that no one who makes decisions for Dublin city centre lives within the south and north circular road.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,940 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

No. Irish Prisons are not meant to dehumanise anyone. People have to work there.

The punishment when you get a custodial sentence is the loss of liberty.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,165 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What sentences are available for rioting/looting? It’s public order, but with a real serious element to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

I wonder will there be more riots tonight. Hopefully not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

And the tenement buildings off our main thoroughfares too, only knocked in the 80s

It’s newer certainly and more pleasant, but last night shows me you that you can dress Dublin up but not always take her out.

The O’Connell street and surrounds issue has never been addressed and it’s been going on for decades now- it’s just not a nice place to be and the decades of neglect have shown through last night

An outlier event proves that everything is broken?

You might need to explain that to me further because, by nearly all measures, we are one of the most successful countries in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Butson

Are these scum Far right, or they actually the result of far left policies?

We now have a bloated social welfare state, people on benefits for life, no fear of the law. Paid for by the working taxpayer.

Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭xl500

No I never said that I said their cities FELT safer due to a greater police presence

• Advertisement

I don't agree about O'Connell Street and surrounds. It's vibrant (Capel St in particular, Parnell Street also great for authentic Asian food) - my own teenagers are in there nearly every weekend and I have no fears about them doing so. I'm often in that neighbourhood myself for food\shopping\theatre\cinema and it's fine. Again, it's unrecognisable from my own teenage years - for the better.

What is weird and highly unusual is that we have some of the worst public housing in the entire country located just a stones throw off O'Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

I agree in a reform of the legal system. Bringing down the age from 18 to 12 would not be such a bad idea. Most of these thugs are teens and know what they're doing. They need a threat, something to be afraid of. They simply rule the streets and no one has the b@lls to do something about it. Its so sad to see our nation like this. We need a local Trump!

We also need to boycott Northface and electric scooters...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,388 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently, attacks on Gardai are now carrying much heavier prison sentences (rightly so).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

My heart goes out to the kids and people injured yesterday. No one should go through what they did. I have a three year old girl, I can only imagine the pain people are going through today. Hope the children recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's supposed to be up to 12 years.

Of course the "up to" is the usual dilution. No one will get 12 years.

Everything is broken, not just the 'outlier' event you solely want to discuss. I told you our infrastructure is a shambles, you know it, I know it. So spare me your selective political area of concern where you want to celebrate the morons running this nation on a 'beggar me neighbour' foreign investment pyramid scheme.

Go try get a doctors appointment for sometime this week, see how successful you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭dmakc

Helen sounded like a student making an excuse for no homework last night. Abysmal.

"These people will all go to jail"... what jails? This definitely isn't their first rodeo so why aren't they there before this? Will anyone hold this statement accountable to see just how many of them end up in a jail?

"This isn't about the streets being safe"... Failte Ireland have their new slogan

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You know not all immigrants are doing that though. A lot are and are of a benefit to us but there's a good minority of them that are leeches on society. We have our own class of them too but we shouldn't be bringing in more.

Also if we're going to look at other countries and say they're successful, we can also look at places like Korea and Japan which are far safer than anywhere in Europe and they're very anti immigration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yagan

Looked through the Left/right lens the Love Ulster rioters would be classed as far left, and last night would be tagged as far right, but for everyone else who thinks smashing shop windows and burning out cars is wrong these people would be classed for what they are the rest of time, basic scumbags.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement