Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Debi : Mon 13th Nov 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Couldn't comment on creches but if a school has no power at the time of opening then the school can remain closed for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Max wind gusts and sustained winds at Irish synoptic stations for Storm Debi. No red warranted winds at any of the official stations.

Mullingar had its highest wind gust since December 2013. Athenry had its highest wind gust in its relatively short record (since 2010).

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭GHendrix

I have no problem with ME using an abundance of caution. In fact, it makes sense. But even with the abundance of caution, the red warning ended at 9am. And that was been ultra cautious…

By that stage it was just slightly windy here. And yet nearly every school closed for the full day. Bus Eireann services only got started at 11am which mean people will only get to work in the afternoon if they even bothered.

We need to be a bit more resilient. If there’s a power outage, it will likely be fixed sooner than later. If some trees are down, diverts will likely be in place etc.

If we keep going in this direction I worry what it will be like in 20 years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Finally power back here in South Longford. My weather station recorded 110km/h gust before the vane failed. It ended up lobsided... raging because I reckon there was a stronger one later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Unless isolated tornadic activity or similar took place here that tree fell under no worse than yellow wind warning criteria. The implication is all yellow wind warnings should mean school closures.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Storm Debi last night and early this morning in Meath was fairly windy alright but I was expecting the wind gusts to be more and thankfully we got off relatively lightly. I can certainly remember windier events here without any warnings or a yellow warning, certainly the models seem to overplay the strength of the wind vs what we got in reality.

One of the most severe wind storms I can remember in this area I think was the one on Christmas Eve around 1997 I remember a very loud and long lasting wind storm which was incredibly loud and far worse than what we had here with Debi. If this is the correct date that storm from my memory would definitely have warranted a red warning but we didn't have the colour coded warming system back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I think Met Eireann got this spot on. It was most certainly red weather conditions in Galway and I would be interested to know how sheltered is the Teagasc weather station exactly. Should there be another station in Galway city with more exposure to the Bay which has a major impact on the weather in a wide area both to the West, South and East of the City.

It was a good call to tell schools to delay until 10am opening giving Principals time to check damage, electricity, etc. Some schools could then make the call and either open or close for the day.

I think lives were saved with the approach taken here, trees are down all over the place, power lines damaged, buildings damaged. At least people were off the roads for the most part while this was happening. I think maybe Dublin going red wasn’t warranted but besides that - their approach most certainly saved lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭squonk

I think we can argue all we want about the wind speed and whether a red was justified but given there was a high tide coinciding with the storms arrival in the west coast and trees still in leaf (just about), and flooding already being a problem in parts of the country I certainly think a high level warning was justified. We also line in a 24 hour economy now too so places don’t shut at midnight at the latest. I can only consent for my location and the sustained intensity regardless of the gusts she’d was notable.

I also think the prudent thing was to shut schools til midday. That gives repair crews tune to address any issues or road clearance crews tune to do their work. On the plus side if an area was clear enough there was nothing stopping schools opening at 10. It’s up to parents to use their judgement.

Let’s face it, 95% of the time these warnings will be overblown and maybe not fully warranted but there will be that one time when they do the job and lives are saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

I am in Galway and I was woken in the middle of the night to a lot of noise a d wind and there was some racket. I thought the roof would have lift. The noise was going in a d out from the house and it was awful. I couldn't see much damage outside on the ground. I didn't investigate for missing slates.

If you were an early riser with an early morning start like before 6, there could have been some damage so the red warning so slowed down movements.

Migrained out all day long though and I have to keep on going though. I'm dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wouldn't really be critical of ME for issuing the red warnings - at least one of the models predicted red level windspeeds for the counties that ME issued the red warnings for. It was pointed out on this forum that that particular model usually overstates wind speeds and this turned out to be the case but ME will still have had to err on the side of caution

However, this morning, Claire Byrne asked a ME representative if the windspeeds had met red criteria. He said that the sustained wind speeds did - that's not backed up by sryanbruen's table above. He also said that while ME's stations didn't record red level gusts, other weather stations did. That sounds like a cop out - ME relying on unofficial measurements by amateurs (no offence to any enthusiast on here who has their own station) to try to justify a red level warning, issued by ME.

I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This.

How did we ever cope years ago? We were told it was going to be windy tomorrow and to be careful, and we got on with life.

Now, with the names, colour coding etc and closing of schools and services, not to mention the hype.

Take Yellow warning for example. What's the point of it? It's not dangerous conditions. Just standard windy day. It means nothing but it scares people.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

The mistake was putting Dublin and the East into Red. It was proper Red conditions in Galway, I would hate to think that they wouldn’t issue a warning like that in the future because a few of the ‘it didn’t happen in my backyard so it’s not warranted’ brigade who are out being overly critical. One of the weather stations being referred to is the Marine Institute in Oranmore. This is a proper weather station IMO and showed very high sustained winds and peak gusts of 148km/h.

Shocking scenes in Clarinbridge on the Galway coast. Seems everything combined (high tide, passage of the storm etc) to create a storm surge to inundate the local area. They also showed some radar imagery which showed the “hook” of the storm passing over Galway. I wonder was a sting jet involved here?

Yeah, was that the town on the rte news?

Lot of damage there it seems. Terrible for those businesses.

George Lee called it a little ninja again at 6pm.

Yes, Clarinbridge. Parts of Oranmore were affected as well. Destruction of parts of the sea wall etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Ardara Donegal 48mm rain recorded today. Highest official total I can see on wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is that Ranelagh in south dublin, where the edgelords are telling us there was no wind? Must have been coincidental

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Thanks syran as always you never fail to display the stats 👏 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I was never expecting red alert wind speeds to verify at some inland locations like mountdillon and mullingar which don't seem all that well exposed based on peak winds in past storms, Johnstown Castle is another location I never expect to reach "representative" wind speeds. Also I just read on here that the peak gust at Athenry (116) was a station record. So these higher gusts at presumably better exposed locations seem plausible, the 92 mph is worth a check for instrument reliability perhaps but gusts into the 70-80 mph range would be quite plausible if mountdillon reached 65 (106 km/hr).

If the debate about appropriate colour coding is going to be based on the official sites and their max gusts, then we're going to need a system where a red alert is based on mullingar reaching 100 or mountdillon 110, as they seem unlikely to reach 130 in any normal situation.

Anyway, I think post-mortem a red alert was justified for at least Galway, Roscommon, and parts of other counties further east, probably orange was barely justified for Dublin and Kildare. I am responding to this post without having read last two pages so I don't know if sryanbruen published his table yet, if so, or when he does, I would check how gusts at mullingar compare to other storms, as I don't believe mullingar's peak gusts mean a lot outside of a comparative framework, they are rarely going to be even yellow let alone orange level.

(edit, now I did read last two pages and saw a table for today, would be interesting to see a full record for mullingar's peak gusts in all storms as I suspect it would illustrate point being made.)

As to a sting jet being responsible for localized peak gusts, quite possible, and you could draw up a ten to twenty mile wide corridor from Galway towards Ballyhaise that never includes an official measuring site, possibly Athenry on the southern flank of that zone, and anecdotal reports in the thread seem to support that model of storm impacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Here are sryan's tables up to storm Barra. I remember several of the storms from 1990 to 1998 and the roof on our house still shows the signs (different colour slates due to originals being blown off)

I have no memory of Dec 1993 or Feb 1988, both of which look to have been whoppers. Also, 174 km/h gust recorded at Clones during Burns Day Storm in 1990 - Jeez.

Here's how RTE reported the Feb 1988 storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy McHugh, now there is a blast from the past! I don't remember the 1988 storm either. The one that sticks out to me from that time was a storm in 1990. In contrast to last night's storm, it lasted for over 10 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Alan Carlow Weather:

"A huge amount of uncertainty around Thursday at present with some models showing a risk of another low system that we need to watch out for"

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭MoonMotorway

Is this true?

I can't tolerate much more storms like storm Debi. A milder storm or a windy day is grand but last night was a pack of crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The first issue is the source is the Liberal, so that's worse than a tabloid paper.

Secondly it was mentioned by the national emergency coordination centre that they expected more storms during the winter. Which is pretty much common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If the southerly tracking jet is sustained through the winter months, who knows, we could get the "perfect storm" at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Robwindstorm

I think met eireann made the right call last night due this unpredictable storm development. A little bit lower in pressure would have this storm far more severe than it was. Here in North meath I was surprised by the amount of trees it felled on my land including two fully grown Ash, one which was completely uprooted. There was a lot of power outages in my area some still without it tonight. My little one's school could not open at 10am either due to no power for heat or water. I think the colour coded warnings don't work very well and can lead to a lot of confusion and division. I think by simply naming a storm when severe weather is imminent and advising of its possible dangers on time , including ground saturation, tree hazards particularly now with Ash trees and the timing of an event coinciding with school and work times and high tides etc. Maybe less of these crywolf yellow warnings.

Well done Meteorite on seeing this innocuous development days beforehand and your brilliant coverage of the storms development as usual. I also love looking at syrans table and that Feb 1988 storm was always the king of storms for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭highdef

On the way back from Longford to Trim this evening, the amount of downed trees dropped to almost nothing not far beyond Edgeworthstown and very little evidence of very strong winds beyond that so I reckon I was within the suspected sting jet this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

Worse storm i can remember boxing day 1998 over 100mph in Northern Ireland winds lasted over 12hrs snowed shortly after system passed lines buried under snow i was escalated by NIE 250,000 people out in Northern Ireland at the peak of storm we were still connecting isolated locations to the grid 10 days later crazy storm.

Advertisement