Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Debi : Mon 13th Nov 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Glaceon

• Registered Users Posts: 28,123 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see first Dublin Bus of the day passing by (H1).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭appledrop

The point I was making about the airport was that if we really had winds that were justified for ' red weather' warning then no planes would be taking off or landing.

That wasn't the case, the odd flight delayed but most ciykd take off and land no problem.

Our creche also closed till 12, mainly due to staff not been able to get in because no public transport.

Creche staff often not paid well so a lot rely on public transport.

No justification whatsoever for public transport not operating until 10am this morning. Fair enough assess locally if trees down but most places no issues.

I have just managed a long commute on M50 and back roads and didn't even come across any branches down never mind trees.

On plus my commute was fastest ever, very little traffic.

I suppose my 7 year old summed it up best this morning when we told him he would be late going to school this morning due to the storm.

He looked out the window and said but 'Mammy it's not even stormy out'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Reverse seems to be happening. The entire country is declared yellow and if you go onto the Met Eireann website the definition of yellow is "Not unusual weather".

If people want to get rid of warnings then I'd be in favour of that. Rather that than false warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The winds were strong in certain areas and the ground is very wet so the threshold for danger is higher than normal.

There are reports of winds of close to 150km/hr whether they verify I don't know, but some areas did have a bad storm, and this storm was not the easiest for the meteorologists to predict due to the very rapid development of the storm. It was always best to be safe than sorry with the nature of this development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I will never not be amazed how people seem to believe weather pronouncements, predictions and casting should be limited to their own front garden.

The innate growth of selfishness in today's society. Why ? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Nobody waited for Dublin to be affected. The school delays were issued to all counties under orange/red, not just Dublin. That guidance was issued before Dublin went red.

I'm in south Cork coast also and yes looking outside since 7AM, there was no need to delay the schools but I understand how these warnings work and how Cork is a huge county so they certainly ain't perfect but they are better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

So, guess time to leave the thread so as the discussion will be about whether it was a storm or not.

Thanks for the updates everyone. I enjoy a good weather system and the excitement of seeing what will happen (hoping nothing bad obviously!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its impossible for ME to pinpoint exactly where the strongest wind will be - all they can do is give an approximate area. As seen here by people giving different opinions on the weather who live in the same county. Weather within a few miles can be very different.

In the past red warnings were unjustified for my area but I think this red warning was spot on - Storm Ophelia here was a literally a slightly windy day. Wind done a lot of damage around here with this storm. I would prefer to get the warnings than not get them.

You have personal choice whether you want to heed the warning or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

IMPACT CONSIDERATIONS: These numerical criteria are strong guidelines but impacts from wind/rain/snow etc., vary depending on location, recent weather conditions, the state of ground, the time of year as well as the duration of the event. In any individual weather event, not every location in the warning area may experience the same degree of weather or impacts. When severe weather is expected, weather and impacts at lower levels are also likely to be experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

27 pages on this topic of which a good 25 are about the bloody warning colours!

Topped out here at 77kmph which is high but not record breaking, a decent autumnal storm. Over 100K people without power across the country , by any reckoning thats a pretty strong weather event.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not a stir in Cork this morning, lovely morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I think some people here are of the thinking that bus/luas drivers, teachers, crèche workers etc should either live next door to their workplace or should teleport themselves to work in the event of an orange or red warning to serve the people.

Warnings don't cover particular cities or towns, maybe some need to understand that the counties are vast. High altitudes in rural settings are covered under one warning along with urban low lying areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think we have to accept that in the modern era there's too many eyes on things.

If met didn't issue red and a random tree crushed a child walking to school its worldwide news in 30 seconds flat.

Theyre just not going to take that risk. The fallout fpr them is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That's your experience. Elsewhere 3 people have had to be rescued from there cars.

Ireland is an incredibly small land mass in the context of this storm. No storm composition is fixed and entirely predictable. There are tonnes of variables. The people who have studied the science know make predictions and forecasts. That's all they are and, they come with the safety of people in mind.

Forcasters don't set out to ruin people's days. We adapted so well during COVID times to being locked down months on end with no notice. You would think people are resilient enough to not get in an absolute panic over the occasional storm disruption. I think unscrupulous employers probably have a lot to do with that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Strongest wind of this 'event' now in Greystones. Gusting 52 knots/96 kmh at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

There is no personal choice if you are relying on public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

You can sense some posters are frustrated that Met E called Red, especially since it transpired to be barely an Orange event but that's the benefit of hindsight.

There's a post Covid issue too that many people have lost faith in their respective bodies to do right by the masses. Try and organise a Lockdown now & I'd doubt you'd get the 95% compliance they got the first time round. So now if an event is flagged as serious & we're told to stay indoors that's a red rag to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Still strong gusts around. Definitely feels worse since 9am till present compared to the early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I suppose for places that are used to strong winds this storm was nothing that unusual, but for places that aren't ,given the water logged ground and the leaf situation, that's why quite a few trees are down. A storm back in 1990 was the strongest storm I ever experienced, this wasn't as strong as that, but for my area, at least ,Debi was up there in terms of damage with the storm back in 1997. So I suppose we dodged a bullet that the UKMO HD overegged it in terms of maximum gusts. Even so I am in the camp that if the red warning saved one life it was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I heard met eireann on the radio a while ago saying that a new wind gust record was set for Athenry at 115kmph.

I cant believe its record was so low, I suspect all the trees near it must shelter it. maybe that shelter is a reason why it regularly gets record high temps in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

For sure.

There is an interesting parallel between the lack of seriousness which Covid ended up being taken by national institutions & politicians (where it is now effectively ignored) and the reducing seriousness with which storms are now being taken. From two days of closure on Storm Ophelia to "Sure it'll be grand by 10AM" is quite some change in the space of 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@rob316 And for once, isnt it great that we had a break from this storm at least :D

However it was very windy here in Carrigaline ( close to south coast ) early AM around 3am. And out of precaution, last evening, I did put the bins into the shed as well as some garden furniture.

And no new trampolines deposited in our back garden this time :D

I always keep an eye on @corksafetyalert around storm times. Its a good measure of how severe a storm down around cork is. In this case we only have about 2 posts about damage from Storm Debi. A tree down and another post about a pothole, thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

You have personal choice - you can make your way yourself if you really need to get somewhere. You cant however risk the safety of a bus or train driver because you want to get somewhere. Thats just selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Call that a red storm! The met office are going to lose seriously credibility with this carry on.

🙈🙉🙊

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: @Mr Disco Please do not post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Plenty of trees down in our area and schools closed with no power or heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Regarding your comment on the airport, it is really not relevant. The criteria that influence an aircraft's ability to operate are very different to the everyday activity that the public go about on the ground. Aviation weather forecasting is a dedicated branch of meterology with very specific and technical output serving a consumer group, pilots, who are trained in understanding that information and how it is generated. The wider public warning system plays no part and it is simply not true to state that red warning level wind conditions in a broad area would imply ceasing operations at a spcific airport. As it happens, there have been many go-arounds this morning at Dublin but that is part and parcel of commerical aviation operations.

On a more general observation, I have to say that the usual non event whinging following weather events is utterly tedious. Its as bad as the VAR merry-go-round on football punditry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Trees down at a number of places on my way to work. Helped the neighbours move a number.A very intense storm IMHO. Some very strong gusts in the early morning.

The sound of chainsaws going at the moment. Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

At the end of the day it is still a forecast. If you can guarantee the outcome of a forecast Ill meet you at any bookies

Advertisement