Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Updates - 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They don't want to have an STB to record, nor do they want to buy a Saorview connects STB. Perhaps I am wrong in thinking that they just want to pause like they could on their Walker TV.

Why buy a smart TV only to need a smart box to record?

I know they have moved all BBC channels to HD, but they don't tune in properly on the TV.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,024 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Of course they'll tune in properly on the TV IF it has a satellite tuner.

Life ain't always empty.

It has a satellite turner and it is connected to a satellite, but the picture is digitalize as if the reception is right but, it says the signal is good, also while the main UK channels all have the same issue in HD they to set themselves right, while the UHD test channels are tuning in perfectly with no issue.

I wonder about some of the other HD channels if they are actually HD, for example they have no problem with any of the HD news channels (save for BBC NEWS).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Of the 1.72 million television viewing homes in Ireland, approximately 648,000 had Saorview in 2022 and in approximately 201,000 homes, (Nielsen establishment survey, January 2023) Saorview was the only means of watching broadcast television

Saorview under 12% only & <38% total going by the above.

Sky's ease of use & integration is not going to be beat for many people. Not many are going to be bothered with combi boxes, flashing images, setting up bouquets etc. Of course a bit of inertia too as already mentioned but gives you access to premium stuff too so that has to be factored in

There is no problem with the BBC HD satellite channels. Something is wrong with your installation.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

I know, I my point is that the satellite is picking up other HD channels no issue, and test UHD channels, and all SD channels, it just effect BBC HD channels, ITV, C4 and C5. Anyone had problems with TLC TV like this before?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Geedoh

RoTelly

I think you're dish is not pointing to Astra 28E, but rather 19E or some other. You mention UHD tests. There are no longer UHD tests on 28E. There is no issues with any of the BBC HD channels currently broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is this the Saorview thread or anything goes

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Start a new thread in the satellite forum, you might get a better reply there.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

Tell us the names of some of the channels that you ARE receiving. It really does sound like the dish is pointing at the wrong satellite.

I have got my answer I will have to check when I am at my parents house, thanks all. I didn't get a reply to my thread in satellite a while back.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The satellite discussion might be taken elsewhere, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The World Radio Communications Conference is going to take place in Dubai in 2 weeks time. That conference is very important for PSBs because it will hold a vote for retaining DTT frequency to allow UHD broadcasting instead of handing over frequency to broadband companies for 5G commercial internet services.

It would allow the government here to give extra capacity for Saorview with giving it either an extra multiplex or maybe converting Saorview for T2 broadcasting or 5G Broadcast in the near future.

Europe is going to be Region 1 when they take part in these votes to retain spectrum for DTT services.

Who is going to represent Ireland at this conference?

Is it someone from Commisuin Na Mean or any of the main PSB broadcasters here?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Its time to move on, a third MUX should be opened and this mux3 can be owned and managed by Sky TV, we in Ireland have nothing else to offer so our first two multiplexes can even be used for extra HD content.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Ageed. A thrid MUX would be good. It gives more tv channels here in ireland and the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Can't see Sky owning or managing a MUX, given the moves they are making towards an internet service. We may want or like the idea of more channels on Saorview but the economics don't add up for commercial operators.

Owned? and how much will they be paying for this national asset?

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

OK so in effect leasing it then. Dunno how that makes commercial sense for them but stranger things have happened.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

It sky were to run a third mux. You can bet all the channels would subscription only . I think the sort channels people maybe thinking about is UKTV .Which is owned by , BBC entertainment. Channels like Dave ,Yesterday .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Why would you need to put on a third mux when if RTE is serious about cuts you get can get rid of RTE News Channel , RTEjr ( it's programmes are already on RTE2 ) , all of the digital radio stations and either R2 or Lyric . You would free up some space .

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Yes doing what said would save RTE money .This was my reply to the original post .

Mickey 9, 2023

Its time to move on, a third MUX should be opened and this mux can be owned and managed by Sky TV, we in Ireland have nothing else to offer so our first two multiplexes can even be used for extra HD content.

I ageed with you but to have a third MUX how much will it cost too have a third MUX and will they put more HD and +1 channels on it say like virgin media one HD and virgin media one +1

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Let's nip this bollocks in the bud right now - Sky will not in 2023 or even in 2024 be seeking to get a multiplex for themselves for DTT broadcasting in the Republic of Ireland. At most they may enquire with 2RN about potential capacity on the platform to launch another service, but they most certainly do not need a multiplex to themselves - they would never fill it with enough FTA content and they are not going to launch a DTT-based subscription service either. Sky's future is in their streaming platform through Glass/Stream in parallel to their satellite platform in the meantime for at least the next few years. And neither is Sky going to invest in physical infrastructure separate to that of 2RN to broadcast DTT in the country.

You will get better odds of the Loch Ness monster being confirmed as real & alive or all four Virgin Media DTT channels going HD on Saorview and Saorsat by 2028 than any of the above happening. Usually, I'd never say never but in the above case, I can confidently say "nah".

I'd expect the ROI reps would be from Comreg and also possibly elsewhere from the Dept. Environment, Climate & Communications.

My own €0.02 - while clearly a lot of media consumption is moving away from "traditional" forms of broadcasting, in many parts of Europe 2030 may be too soon to think of abandoning DTT platforms, especially in countries like the UK, France & Spain where high levels of reliance on DTT platforms still exist. OTOH, many other parts of "Region 1" outside of Europe have had their UHF bands be largely empty and thus would like to have "official" clearance for more spectrum to be used for mobile technologies. One issue I see is that in theory, channels E39-48 could be cleared as a further dividend by allocating it to LTE Band 71 or NR band n71 (for once the Yanks came up with a designated frequency band that the rest of the world could practically adopt), leaving channels E21-37 in place for a rump DTT service, but this continual piecemeal allocating of bands below 1 GHz will not on its own (bar the use of carrier aggregation which doesn't tend to be used together at these frequencies) deliver lightning fast speeds to users in the likes of rural & semi-rural areas, and aren't on their own terribly spectrum efficient either. I suspect there might be a compromise, for example in the European broadcasting area E21-37/38 remaining a broadcasting band, while E39-48 will be a primary broadcasting band with secondary permission for mobile technologies, depending on the country/administration to decide what such frequencies shall be used for with co-ordination required for border locations with other countries where required.

As it is, at present all DTT broadcast sites in the Republic of Ireland have at least six frequencies cleared for broadcasting following a joint frequency plan drawn up alongside the UK a few years back for the clearing of broadcasting in the 700MHz frequency block (LTE Band 28), and like the UK three "Primary" frequencies are cleared with higher potential coverage with another three "Secondary" frequencies that has potential lower coverage (broadcast antenna restrictions, co-channel interference etc.) Most Saorview at present broadcasts using two of the three frequencies from the primary frequencies though there are exceptions (notably on Three Rock and maybe Maghera). If there was another part-clearance in the future like I suggested above, both the ROI & UK authorities I am sure will meet to co-ordinate to repack frequencies into a smaller UHF broadcast band - given that the UK follows a similar 3 primary/3 secondary band plan on DTT and would surely want to retain this (the three UK COM multiplexes have licences that are due to expire only in 2034), it would be likely IMO that such a repack for ROI would also keep at least three muxes available for broadcasting from each site. Wherever any UHD DTT broadcasting would commence in the future in the Rep. Ireland is another question altogether - there's not a huge pile of it being broadcast from satellite across the world right now, let alone terrestrially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭KildareP

^100% on the above.

The chance to launch up to 4 commercial muxes at the time of analogue switchover was turned down by all 3 of the bidders at a time when linear TV was far more prominent, streaming was only really starting to develop, and when they would have been able to piggy back on the analogue switch off messaging that was happening anyway.

If they reckoned there was no business case for doing so then, there's far less chance of there being one now:

• We are far too small a population to sustain a comprehensive FTA broadcast platform like Freeview so that is never going to happen here
    • While the heavy hitting broadcasters like Viacom, Disney/Fox, Warner Bros/Discovery and HBO, who would have been the lions share of pay TV package content over the years, have made it very clear their own focus is firmly on running down the clock on content and broadcast contracts to bring it onto their own streaming platforms
    • Various attempts over the years at a pay TV add-on for Freeview over in the UK all fell by the wayside
    • Linear TV as a whole, aside from sport and reality TV, is on a natural year-on-year decline.

RTÉ and TG4 are the only HD operators on SaorView, while Virgin Media won't even go with the maximum possible SD resolution never mind HD (and they still complain bitterly about the costs).

And until Sky launched Sky News and Challenge on SaorView, a significant chunk of the available bandwidth of the two muxes was simply padded out using testcards.

So:

• There is no possibility of sustaining a FTA service
    • There is no business case for developing a pay-TV add-on for SaorView
    • There has never at any stage of SaorView's existence been a capacity shortage necessitating a third mux or transitioning to DVB-T2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

There will be even more capacity available on Saorview soon with the mooted closure of RTE1+1 and RTE2+1.

Also too some of the RTE radio stations will go too, including. RTE Radio one extra RTE 2XM and RTE pulse and RTE jr radio will go too

• Advertisement

What's the story with RTE Gold and Chill? They should keep RTE Radio1 Extra and Gold, get rid of the rest.

Advertisement